Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

UK Phone via Broadband

UK Phone via Broadband

Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

Pommy Expat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Phone via Broadband

If you've got a broadband internet connection (ADSL or cable), then you can make and receive calls as if you were using a UK landline.

That means you have a UK number (either non-geographic or geographic) and your caller ID comes up in the UK as a local number. If people phone you from the UK it's a domestic call for them, and you don't pay to receive calls, as you would with call diversion or mobile roaming.

Sometimes it's handy if you need to call Sky from Spain, because then it looks as if you're phoning from the UK. Plus you can access UK freephone numbers.

In the US there are services like Vonage, which you can use anywhere in the world on a local broadband connection, and receive calls on a US number. I know of someone in Kent using it- I phone him on a New York number, and it rings just like it's in the US.

The UK looks set to have similar services (including Vonage) later this year, which would be ideal for expatriates. Of course, you're not supposed to use them outside the UK, but you're not supposed to watch Sky outside the UK either.

SIPCall already offers services like this, and you can even choose a geographic number with your UK area code.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 9:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds interesting.....I take it you need a modem with supervoice or similar.
I have a telefonica land line and telefonica router, so i take it as no good...?
Old Feb 15th 2004, 1:46 am
Just Joined

What do you mean by supervoice? You can either download a free softphone from Xten or use MSN Messenger. There shouldn't be any problems using with Telefonica ADSL. As long as you've got a decent connection, it shouldn't matter where you are.

With an analogue telephone adapter you don't need your computer on at all. You plug your phone into the adapter, which you then plug into the router (along with your computer), which then plugs into your modem.

Here's a diagram....
Attached Thumbnails UK Phone via Broadband-how_it_works.gif  
Old Feb 15th 2004, 8:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pommy Expat

What do you mean by supervoice? You can either download a free softphone from Xten or use MSN Messenger. There shouldn't be any problems using with Telefonica ADSL. As long as you've got a decent connection, it shouldn't matter where you are.

With an analogue telephone adapter you don't need your computer on at all. You plug your phone into the adapter, which you then plug into the router (along with your computer), which then plugs into your modem.

Here's a diagram....
Sorry Supervoice is a program to use with a voice modem call/fax/answerphone, but obviously not needed...

On my telefonica system the router is plugged into the phone line and is on 24/7, no modem.
The phone is also plugged into the phone line via a filter, in a different room.
So i would need a different phone, an adapter which plugs into the modem, and a UK number from the company, correct..?

Last edited by jdr; Feb 15th 2004 at 8:26 am.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 12:00 pm
JeanDupont

Its quite a different thing but have a look at the phone charges from the Uk of www.18866.co.uk
I now use them when in the Uk and call UK US and Canada for 1p per minute plus a 1p connection charge which could work out cheaper than thru the internet.

Old Feb 15th 2004, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by jdr

On my telefonica system the router is plugged into the phone line and is on 24/7, no modem.
The phone is also plugged into the phone line via a filter, in a different room.
So i would need a different phone, an adapter which plugs into the modem, and a UK number from the company, correct..?
Yep, that's about right. I notice that Telefonica ADSL uses a combined modem/router. You can use an adapter like one of these these , but Xten Lite is free to download, and you can use it on your PC with SIPCall or with a USB phone. You would get a UK 0870 number from SIPCall, although you could have a UK geographic one instead.

Originally posted by JeanDupont
Its quite a different thing but have a look at the phone charges from the Uk of www.18866.co.uk
I now use them when in the Uk and call UK US and Canada for 1p per minute plus a 1p connection charge which could work out cheaper than thru the internet.
However, that service is of no use to you outside the UK- see their FAQ page

I live abroad. Can I still use your service?
Unfortunately we do not run a service outside the UK and our organisation does not have plans to venture outside the UK within the near future. Only BT landlines in the United Kingdom or Northern Ireland [???] can register for our service.

That is why we are discussing using a broadband phone service! Being in the US, you should be aware of companies like Vonage and Packet8 which offer unlimited calling to the US and Canada for a flat monthly fee. Packet8 even offer an unlimited calling plan to Europe- something that no telco in Europe offers! Because it can work with a broadband connection just about anywhere, people can and do use it outside the US, so it's as if your US landline is portable.

Similarly, with a UK service, you can have a UK landline that you can use anywhere. Your folks call you on a local number, at the local rate, but you pay nothing to receive it abroad- same in reverse.

Get this, a UK mailing address, and British TV via Sky in Europe, and you can have a 'virtual' UK presence- it's as if you never left the UK, only the weather's better.

Last edited by Pommy Expat; Feb 15th 2004 at 5:08 pm.