Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling with Dual Citizenship

Travelling with Dual Citizenship

Old Oct 6th 2013, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travelling with Dual Citizenship

Hello All, I have some questions regarding travelling with Dual Citizenship.
My Mum & I were born here in Canada, have Canadian citizenship, and will soon be obtaining dual (Maltese) citizenship. Once we obtain this we would prefer to travel back home to Malta on our Maltese passports, even just for a short visit, as there are less questions at the Point of Entry, and we get to use the EU/EEA/Swiss nationals line at Frankfurt airport (which is usually shorter than the Non-EU line)

Here's where the complications arise. My father, brother and sister are NOT obtaining dual citizenship, although they are all entitled to it, we dont want to pay the $170 on registration x 3. The reason for this is I was the one who wanted Maltese citizenship so I could move there in the near future, and as a prerequisite to me getting it, my Mum had to obtain it as well, hence why me and my mum will have it, but the rest of my family won't.

So when we travel to Malta/EU, my Mum and I will be on Maltese/EU passports, and my brother, sister, and father will be on Canadian.
My questions are

1) Can my father, brother, and sister accompany my mum and I through the EU/EEA/Swiss national line even though they are travelling on Canadian PPs? (Frankfurt is our usual point of entry to the EU from Toronto, no direct flights to Malta )

2) For my Mum and I, which passport do we show to the airline and customs etc when going and coming back? (Obviously the others will just show Canadian all through) Keep in mind we all need to re-enter Canada as Canadians because we live here!

Thanks for your help guys!
Old Oct 7th 2013, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travelling with Dual Citizenship

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Hello All, I have some questions regarding travelling with Dual Citizenship.
My Mum & I were born here in Canada, have Canadian citizenship, and will soon be obtaining dual (Maltese) citizenship. Once we obtain this we would prefer to travel back home to Malta on our Maltese passports, even just for a short visit, as there are less questions at the Point of Entry, and we get to use the EU/EEA/Swiss nationals line at Frankfurt airport (which is usually shorter than the Non-EU line)

Here's where the complications arise. My father, brother and sister are NOT obtaining dual citizenship, although they are all entitled to it, we dont want to pay the $170 on registration x 3. The reason for this is I was the one who wanted Maltese citizenship so I could move there in the near future, and as a prerequisite to me getting it, my Mum had to obtain it as well, hence why me and my mum will have it, but the rest of my family won't.
$170 sounds like a small price to pay for something as useful as EU citizenship, but each to their own ... :-)

So when we travel to Malta/EU, my Mum and I will be on Maltese/EU passports, and my brother, sister, and father will be on Canadian.
My questions are

1) Can my father, brother, and sister accompany my mum and I through the EU/EEA/Swiss national line even though they are travelling on Canadian PPs? (Frankfurt is our usual point of entry to the EU from Toronto, no direct flights to Malta )
It depends on the airport, but often seems to be acceptable when travelling as a family. You could ask a member of staff on arrival.

2) For my Mum and I, which passport do we show to the airline and customs etc when going and coming back? (Obviously the others will just show Canadian all through) Keep in mind we all need to re-enter Canada as Canadians because we live here!
Show the most relevant passport at immigration and emigration controls (customs concerns the control of goods, not people). So the Maltese passport when entering and leaving the Schengen Area, and Canadian passport when entering Canada. You can offer to show both to the airline when checking in.

Last edited by brioche; Oct 7th 2013 at 11:29 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Travelling with Dual Citizenship

Originally Posted by brioche
$170 sounds like a small price to pay for something as useful as EU citizenship, but each to their own ... :-)
I know right!!! I think once Mum and Dad actually realise my dream to move home to Malta is real they will pony up for it for them and the rest of the family, so they can visit for more than 3 mos (oh joy!) ! But in their defense it is $170 per person x 3, + $120 for a passport, x 3. Meaning a total cost of $870.

It depends on the airport, but often seems to be acceptable when travelling as a family. You could ask a member of staff on arrival.

OK Thanks! Now like i said the preferred POE is Frankfurt, so speaking from experience, would you say Germans are willing to bend the rules for that? (Im leaning on no! )

Show the most relevant passport at immigration and emigration controls (customs concerns the control of goods, not people). So the Maltese passport when entering and leaving the Schengen Area, and Canadian passport when entering Canada. You can offer to show both to the airline when checking in.
OK, sounds simple. I am assuming the reason for offering both to the airline is to ensure that they don't send Canadian immi the (false) info that a Maltese citizen with no recorded entry is "leaving" the country, and when leaving Schengen, that a Canadian citizen with no recorded entry is "leaving" the area.

But what do I do when i encounter stubborn people who say dual nationality is illegal etc etc all that bullcrap, when it is legal in Canada and in the Republic of Malta? Specifically airline people. Border people should know it is perfectly fine, and if i am showing the relevant PP they (border/immi control) shouldn't even need to know i'm dual, just to simplify things. Correct?

Two more questions, when getting on the flight at boarding, after clearing security and immi control etc... would i still show the boarding agent both PPs as well as my boarding pass?

And with regards to online check in, do i check in with the most relevant PP (Maltese when checking in for travel to schengen, and Canadian when checking in to come back to canada?) ?

Thanks for your detailed answer and help, brioche. I'm kinda terrified of being scolded by some power tripped check in agent that refuses to check me in to a flight because he/she thinks it is illegal to have 2 passports (which according to you, i would show both to the airline agent)
Old Oct 8th 2013, 2:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
But what do I do when i encounter stubborn people who say dual nationality is illegal etc etc all that bullcrap, when it is legal in Canada and in the Republic of Malta? Specifically airline people.
Dual citizenship is more common than you think and you are highly unlikely to have a problem. In the unlikely event of a problem, ask to speak to a supervisor.

The airline's only concern is normally that you have the right passport to enter the destination country. Show that passport. 99.9% of the time you will not be asked anything additional.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK Thanks everyone I will use this advice when I travel with my dual citizenship!! One other thing, and mods could you recommend where i should put this, I would like to create a guide/timeline to acquiring Maltese citizenship by descent, like I did, to help others on here who may be possible Maltese citizens, and therefore EU citizens out!