Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelling with Dual Citizenship?

Travelling with Dual Citizenship?

Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

edgar912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Travelling with Dual Citizenship?

Hi, I have a US and UK passport. I have never travelled back to Europe while having both. Should I just use my US since I'm returning there or how does it work? Can I go in on UK and back to the US on that one? Would sure save time in the lines!!!!
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Travelling with Dual Citizenship?

Originally Posted by edgar912
Hi, I have a US and UK passport. I have never travelled back to Europe while having both. Should I just use my US since I'm returning there or how does it work? Can I go in on UK and back to the US on that one? Would sure save time in the lines!!!!
When dealing with immigration officials, present the most relevant passport. In particular, always be sure to show your US passport at US immigration, since it's a legal requirement. When in Europe, show your British passport at UK immigration, and when entering and leaving the Schengen Area.

When dealing with airline check-in staff, I suspect the best advice these days is to offer to show them both passports, so that it's up to them to send the right details to the right country's officials.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:43 am
Just Joined

garyrew is an unknown quantity at this point

question: my son was born here in the US but when he was 2 we moved to the uk. He has duel nationality and want s to return to the US, what does he need to do to get his US passport updated?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

brioche is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by garyrew
question: my son was born here in the US but when he was 2 we moved to the uk. He has [dual] nationality and want s to return to the US, what does he need to do to get his US passport updated?
The London embassy would appear to be a good place to start.

Is he aware of the obligations of being a US citizen resident abroad?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 2:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyrew
question: my son was born here in the US but when he was 2 we moved to the uk. He has duel nationality and want s to return to the US, what does he need to do to get his US passport updated?
Originally Posted by brioche
Notably registering with the Selective Service if he is less than 26, and filing annual tax returns (though he'd need to be on very substantial pay before there was any chance of him actually owing any tax.