Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Touring Europe with our dog

Touring Europe with our dog

Old Feb 4th 2004, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Charmaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Touring Europe with our dog

My husband and I are taking 4 months out from April to tour around Europe. Specifically France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece and Austria. We are planning on taking our dog with us and we've done the whole pet passport thing for returning to the UK. The problem we have is that we've been told we need to get documentation for each country we are about to enter from the Country we are currently in. Does anyone know if this is actually the case and if so how on earth do we go about getting this documentation. I've searched the web a bit, but it's all a bit vague and unfortunately the EU pet passport only comes into effect in July! Doh!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Touring Europe with our dog

Originally posted by Charmaine
My husband and I are taking 4 months out from April to tour around Europe. Specifically France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece and Austria. We are planning on taking our dog with us and we've done the whole pet passport thing for returning to the UK. The problem we have is that we've been told we need to get documentation for each country we are about to enter from the Country we are currently in. Does anyone know if this is actually the case and if so how on earth do we go about getting this documentation. I've searched the web a bit, but it's all a bit vague and unfortunately the EU pet passport only comes into effect in July! Doh!

Hi, I aint no expert but who 'told' you this??

The airlines should be able to help you, who are you flying with??

Cant actually understand what you will need, I mean they have obviously had their rabies vaccine, so its not as if they have to 'get anything' in each country, the passports will prove where they have been and that they have stayed in the 'allowed countries of visit', cant understand what they mean, you've got me wondering now, I have looked at the passport scheme and cant remember seeing anything like this.....will investigate!

Speak to you soon
Pammy

Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pammy .... The airlines should be able to help you, who are you flying with??
Gee, ten minutes living in Canada and you've forgotten how small Western Europe really is! They'll, no doubt, be driving! ...... Silly Pammy!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Charmaine is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right, we will be driving. We are going in our motorhome. My confusion arises from the fact that due to the Schengen agreement there no longer any overland borders, or very few, left so I was wondering how they were going to check this "documentation" that is required. I assumed until recently that once you had the pet passport you didn't need to worry, provided you were travelling through one of the Pet passport countries, but I was told in passing this might not be the case and that I might needed to get "documentation" and a health check from a VET in each country of origin before entering the next destination country.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Pulaski
Gee, ten minutes living in Canada and you've forgotten how small Western Europe really is! They'll, no doubt, be driving! ...... Silly Pammy!

DOH

Cripes, I forgot you could drive places in Europe!

Had a look at the DEFRA website and another couple places, about as clear as mud!, dont suppose you've tried e-mailing them?

[email protected]

I shall go crawl back in my hole now!
Pammy
Old Mar 5th 2004, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

eggysue is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Germany for two years, we drive to the tunnel at calais. the only place the documentation is checked is when you check in at eurotunnel(cheaper and less stressful than flying for your dog). Once you are in Europe nobody cares or checks anything!
Old Mar 9th 2004, 3:00 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by eggysue
I have lived in Germany for two years, we drive to the tunnel at calais. the only place the documentation is checked is when you check in at eurotunnel(cheaper and less stressful than flying for your dog). Once you are in Europe nobody cares or checks anything!
One notable exception- going from Spain (La Linea) to Gibraltar or back, where documentation is indeed checked, and often times cars searched.