Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is there a Czech Republic forum?

Is there a Czech Republic forum?

Old Aug 25th 2012, 8:30 pm
doo
Banned

doo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there a Czech Republic forum?

What is it like to live in CZ? I'm kinda bored of the UK and I want something different, I'm thinking of spending maybe 6 months in Prague.

Can anyone tell me if it's easy enough to get a work permit? I don't speak czech but I would learn the basics, what kind of work could I get? If any? I would definitely apartment share, would I need residency? What are people in Prague/CR like to foreigners? Especially my age, 20. Are they rude? friendly? indifferent?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 10:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a Czech Republic forum?

Originally Posted by doo
What is it like to live in CZ? I'm kinda bored of the UK and I want something different, I'm thinking of spending maybe 6 months in Prague.

Can anyone tell me if it's easy enough to get a work permit? I don't speak czech but I would learn the basics, what kind of work could I get? If any? I would definitely apartment share, would I need residency? What are people in Prague/CR like to foreigners? Especially my age, 20. Are they rude? friendly? indifferent?
Hi and welcome to the Forum!
There isn't a Czech Rep forum as such, but there are some BE Members living there who'll come along to help.
I can just say that you don't need a work permit since that country is in the EU. I visited Prague once (a beautiful city but I can't say I'd like to live there) and found the Czech language difficult, hardly any one spoke English. I got by better with German.
It may be different in Prague, but in France you'd find it difficult to rent or flatshare without payslips or a Guarantor.
At 20, I can't say what work you'd find, nor do I know what the unemployment rate is in Prague, but without the language, IMHO you'd find it difficult to cope with bureaucracy, let alone find a job.
You'd have to do a lot more research before you make the plunge, on healthcare coverage for example.
Hope all this helps and if the worst comes to the worst, you'll have spent an extended holiday in Prague (but take enough savings with you and organize your return flight before you leave!)