Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Switzerland - Anyone Out There?

Switzerland - Anyone Out There?

Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:40 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Switzerland - Anyone Out There?

Hi there, anyone in the southern part of Switzerland. Husband up for a job in Ticino area. Anyone got any tips, home rental agencies with on line viewing would be great, cant seem to find very much through google.
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 5:18 pm
Looking at Malta ...

SteveBrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Switzerland - Anyone Out There?

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
Hi there, anyone in the southern part of Switzerland. Husband up for a job in Ticino area. Anyone got any tips, home rental agencies with on line viewing would be great, cant seem to find very much through google.
Hi

I very nearly worked for UPS in Switzerland (got to final interview stage) and spent a while looking at the life and cost etc. It can be a strange place and very expensive. What does your husband do ? I work in IT was was offered around 70% of the average salary a swiss person would accept.

We found this to be a good source of info

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Worki...e=UTF8&s=books

Good luck

Steve
Old Feb 10th 2007, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Sophie_T will become famous soon enough

Hi,

I recently found this forum which may have someone who can help you. It's

www.englishforum.ch There are many people on it who are English speaking and living in Switzerland.

Good luck!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:16 pm
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there - husband is an accountant, just in the initial stages and trying to find out some info.........
Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:18 pm
In Orange County, CA.

Hi Sophie, thanks for the web link, looks really good, thanks very much.
Old Apr 8th 2007, 7:01 am
Just Joined

MadMags is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sophie, thanks for the web link, looks really good, thanks very much.
Hi there, don't know if you are still looking for any information, but www.comparis.ch is a great site for looking at properties and all sorts of things. My husband (Canadian) and I (South African) just moved to Switzerland, and found that site hugely helpful. Also have a look at http://switzerland.isyours.com/e/index.html. They give pretty much all the info you could need about moving to Switzerland.

Good luck if you are still moving here!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Originally Posted by SteveBrett
Hi
It can be a strange place and very expensive. What does your husband do ? I work in IT was was offered around 70% of the average salary a swiss person would accept.
A Swiss recruiter contacted me (in the US) to consider a 1-2 year s/w enginering contract but it was after I already started a job :curse:. It's such a bummer he didn't contact me sooner. I guess I'm not as dissappointed if there's an expectation that the income would be 30% less than the per capita in Switzerland. Or are Ada95 SWEs in a different boat than IT folks? Ada is kind of a rare language (generally only used in aerospace), so I'm curious if the situation is different with the supply of Adaists being relatively low.

I'd like to determine whether it would be worthwhile to consider a Swiss contract later on. I know I probably can't expect to get a higher income/CoL ratio in Switzerland than the US, but I'd be willing to take less just to experience Switzerland, as long as it's still comfortable living. CoL is supposedly quite high in Switzerland, so getting 30% less than the locals could be significant.

When you say it's a "strange place", it reminds me of a story I read about someone who went there to take some kind of technical job, and his boss required him to print hardcopies of all email sent to the boss, cut them out, and paste them onto construction paper that was color coded based on the subject matter of the email. No manager in the US could ever get away with tasking subordinates with such a strange assignment. I'd feel insulted if I was tasked that way. So I'm curious what other strange requirements employees might encounter.

I also heard that Swiss laws require tenants to paint the kitchen every time they move out of a rental property, whether it needs paint or not.