Switzerland

Old Apr 6th 2020, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Sooyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Switzerland

Hello Folks,

I have been accepted for an IT role in Switzerland and I would like to see if anyone else has taken that leap (I am sure there is someone that has) and would be okay sharing their experiences with me.
I have so many variables to now consider whilst they look into the legality of hiring someone from the UK. They have to contend with the current restrictions from the Coronavirus fall out as well as later on, the Brexit exit strategy!

For myself, I have to think about
  • Lifting up my life and transporting all my things across Europe
  • What should be my salary expectations, will I expect an equivalent sum of money that allows for the same living standards as the UK
  • The ease in which to find suitable housing for me and later on my wife and child
  • My son's attendance for schooling. Quality of schooling on offer. Being 3 years old, he is applicable to attend reception here in the UK.He is also an American and British passport holder.
  • Then there is the practicalities of daily life: the commuting to work, the public transport, cost of food, shopping for groceries, paying taxes
  • Legalities and rights of a foreign worker in Switzerland. The options of settling down if i feel comfortable enough to end my days there.

These are a few of the many thoughts going around my head. Its not the first time I have moved country for the purposes of taking up a new job. I spent 5 years in the US which was an amazing experience in itself so I have already tackled some of the problems, moving country. Although the US culture is quite similar to ours it wasn't a particularly difficult thing to adjust to.

Anyway, just to reiterate, would be interesting in hearing from those that have already trodden this same path.

Bye for now!
Old Apr 6th 2020, 11:01 am
Unlocking very slowly.

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Switzerland

Originally Posted by Sooyp View Post
Hello Folks,

I have been accepted for an IT role in Switzerland and I would like to see if anyone else has taken that leap (I am sure there is someone that has) and would be okay sharing their experiences with me.
I have so many variables to now consider whilst they look into the legality of hiring someone from the UK. They have to contend with the current restrictions from the Coronavirus fall out as well as later on, the Brexit exit strategy!

• What should be my salary expectations, will I expect an equivalent sum of money that allows for the same living standards as the UK
  • The ease in which to find suitable housing for me and later on my wife and child
  • My son's attendance for schooling. Quality of schooling on offer. Being 3 years old, he is applicable to attend reception here in the UK.He is also an American and British passport holder.
  • Then there is the practicalities of daily life: the commuting to work, the public transport, cost of food, shopping for groceries, paying taxes
  • Legalities and rights of a foreign worker in Switzerland. The options of settling down if i feel comfortable enough to end my days there.

These are a few of the many thoughts going around my head. Its not the first time I have moved country for the purposes of taking up a new job. I spent 5 years in the US which was an amazing experience in itself so I have already tackled some of the problems, moving country. Although the US culture is quite similar to ours it wasn't a particularly difficult thing to adjust to.

Anyway, just to reiterate, would be interesting in hearing from those that have already trodden this same path.

Bye for now!
Howdy.

You don't say whereabouts you would be planning to move to; I worked and lived in the canton of Geneva for almost thirty years as an IT software technician, so could pass on some thoughts if you were looking to be based in Suisse Romande.

Generally, coming from the UK you will find it to be eye-wateringly expensive in terms of accommodation, health-care, groceries, most things really.

Public transport is excellent, and surprisingly good value for money.

If possible, think to place your son in a state school, rather than an International school. This for quality of tuition, continuity of friends and cost. Lots of kids in the international schools are transitory, and will leave when the parents' overseas assignment ends.

Paying taxes should not concern you for the first few years, that will be handled by the Swiss equivalent of PAYE until you convert your permit from a "B" to a "C".

Do you speak the language of the region where you would be residing/working? The languages are not on the whole interchangeable, and English is not as widely spoken as in, say, The Netherlands.

Here's a site to give you some good basic information A service of the Confederation, cantons and communes

Have a look at that site, come back with any more info that you care to share, and any questions.

It's a 'different' place for sure, but fun. I enjoyed my time there, but the idea of retiring there was a complete non-starter.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sooyp View Post
Hello Folks,

Bye for now!
/
As mentioned by BuckinghamshireBoy a lot will depend on location. Will it be the French, German or Italian speaking areas?
Old Apr 6th 2020, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sooyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to the responses, the location is Baden, which seems not far from Zurich. If the option to settle down is a non-starter that could have an impact. I would need to look into that.

I will take a look at that link - thanks you BuckinghamshireBoy!
Old Apr 6th 2020, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone who took an IT job in Zurich and they said the same as BuckinghamshireBoy. He could speak fluent german, french and english too.

Last edited by philat98; Apr 6th 2020 at 4:40 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2020, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98 View Post
I know someone who took an IT job in Zurich and they said the same as BuckinghamshireBoy. He could speak fluent german, french and english too.
A Swiss once said to me: we are friendly folks as long as you don't want to come to live in our country. I can speak German, understand Swiss German.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 8:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
A Swiss once said to me: we are friendly folks as long as you don't want to come to live in our country. I can speak German, understand Swiss German.
Those living in any German-speaking Cantons even look askance at any one from the Suisse Romande or Ticino...
Before coming to live in France, I worked in Zürich. I spoke Hochdeutsch, and discovered a new language, Züridüütsch (different dialect for each Kanton). You'll understand my embarrassment when, after a few months of tuition from work colleagues, I went into a Konditorei and asked for a Chuchichäschtli instead of a Chäschüechli
Old Apr 7th 2020, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
Those living in any German-speaking Cantons even look askance at any one from the Suisse Romande or Ticino...
Before coming to live in France, I worked in Zürich. I spoke Hochdeutsch, and discovered a new language, Züridüütsch (different dialect for each Kanton). You'll understand my embarrassment when, after a few months of tuition from work colleagues, I went into a Konditorei and asked for a Chuchichäschtli instead of a Chäschüechli
Haha, I had a good laugh. Our dialekt across the border in Austria is very similar. I face less language issues when in Switzerland.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 1:58 pm
Unlocking very slowly.

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu View Post
Having chuckled at your post, I couldn't resist adding this:

Language

Switzerland has no less than 437 national languages. These are distributed across different regions and cantons. Thus we have:

- The Swiss Germans, who have a total of 432 different dialects. This linguistic diversity poses a serious problem of understanding, since one Swiss-German is unable to understand another if he has been brought up further away than the next village.

- The Swiss Romands, who believe that they speak French but who ruin it by embellishing it with a bunch of words inspired by what is called patois.

- The Swiss Italians, who speak with their hands

- Albanian and Croatian, 20% of the population.

- Romansch, which is expressed by a dreadful mix of the 436 other national languages. No-one understands them, so they are forgotten. They even disappeared from milk cartons. Previously translated into 4 languages.
From the original...

Langue

La Suisse ne compte pas moins de 437 langues nationales. Celles-ci se répartissent selon différentes régions et cantons. On trouve ainsi :

- Les Suisses allemands, qui cumulent un total de 432 dialectes différents. Cette diversité linguiste pose un sérieux problème de compréhension, puisqu'un Suisse-Allemand est incapable d'en comprendre un autre s'il a été élevé plus loin que le village d'à côté.

- Les Suisses romands, qui croient parler le Français mais qui le détériorent en l'agrémentant d'une foule de mots inspirés de ce qu'on appelle le patois.

- Les Suisses italiens, qui parlent avec les mains

- L'albanais et le Croate, 20% de la population.

- Les romanches, qui s'expriment par un mélange ignoble des 436 autres langues nationales. Personne ne les comprend, du coup on les oublie... Ils ont même disparu des briques de lait. Autrefois traduites en 4 langues.