Reload this Page >

Spanish internet account settings

Spanish internet account settings

Old Jun 4th 2003, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Nilay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish internet account settings

Hi,

I wonder if anyone out there can help me.

I am in on the Costa del Sol for a year and have just set up an ADSL connection through Telefonica. Their Customer Service isn't too hot and my two words of Spanish can't get me past the call center operator.

I am trying to find out what my SMTP server address should be, for the Telefonica ADSL connection. Anyone have this information?

Thanks!
Old Jun 30th 2003, 7:03 am
Just Joined

chilleds is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't speak a word of Spanish, cos I went to their website and couldn't get anywhere - but try smtp.telefonica.es
Old Jun 30th 2003, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, but I tried that, and also smtp.terra.es with no success.

I have a feeling that their smtp server requires authorisation to stop spammers using them for relaying, but I don´t have a user name and password (or they won´t give it to me over the phone because I can´t make myself understood to them) .

I´ve installed my own smtp server on my PC, which is OK for the moment, but I´d much prefer to use telefonica´s if I can get it working.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Janusz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spanish internet account settings

Hi
Please let me know if you eventually sorted out this matter as I have the same problem with outgoing messages using Telefonica ADSL. Please help.
Janusz

Originally posted by Nilay
Hi,

I wonder if anyone out there can help me.

I am in on the Costa del Sol for a year and have just set up an ADSL connection through Telefonica. Their Customer Service isn't too hot and my two words of Spanish can't get me past the call center operator.

I am trying to find out what my SMTP server address should be, for the Telefonica ADSL connection. Anyone have this information?

Thanks!
Old Aug 5th 2003, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

I have had to install my own SMTP server on my PC - this is the only way I could send outgoing mail. I have never been able to set up my system to use Telefonica's SMTP server.

The SMTP server I set up works very well, so it's no great loss

It is free, and quite easy to set up. You can get it at:

http://www.postcastserver.com/

This is the only solution I have to the problem, I am afraid.

Let me know how you go, and if you need any more assistance in setting up Postcast server.

Nilay
Old Aug 6th 2003, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Janusz is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Nilay

Before I follow the way you are suggesting I would be very grateful you look at the description below and to find out if there is anything new that could offer another option:

I have been using a company in UK, which used to be known as Globalnet and now GXN. They have been my internet provider and holder of my domain name. I have been using a dial up connection and have to dial UK number, which cost a lot calling from Spain.

I am using the Outlook Express and currently my set up has been configured for GXN both for Incoming Mail (POP3) and Outgoing Mail (SMTP).

After connecting to Telefonica ADSL I could nod send messages although I am not having any problems with receiving them.

I called Globalnet / GXN tecnical support in London and they told me that I just need to set a new Outgoing Mail (SMTP) for Telefonica server. I did it typing “ smtp.telefonica.net “ in the Outgoing Mail (SMTP) box under " Servers " tap in the account section in the " Tools "of the Outlook Express. However this configuration have not been working.

Next I checked the box “ My server requires authentication� in the section “Outgoing mail Server� under the “ Servers� tab. I was prompted to click on “ Settings “ and tried “ Use the same settings as my incoming mail server “. This also didn’t work so I tried the second option clinking on “ Log on using “. Here I got stacked because I do not know what account name and password I should use. I tried different versions. I believe it has to be Telefonica’s account name and password but I wasn’t given any details by Telefonica. I tried to call them but my Spanish is bad. I tried a Spanish friend but his English is not good enough and he does not know the technical / computer terminology in Spanish.

I believe I am on a right path: It should be possible to use SMTP Telefonica setting for Outlook Express in connection with all messages provided by Glogalnet / GXN. However I would need the account name and password from Telefonica.

And now the questions and a big request for help?

Am I right?
If so how can I get the account name and password from Telefonica?
Do you know about any e-mail address for their technical support?

Perhaps you could answer the above questions.
Many thanks
Janusz
E-mail: [email protected]
www.shootingbox.com.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Hi Janusz,

OK, here we go...some of this information is as a result of my experiences with Telefonica, and the rest of it from being in the internet/web design business .

GXN are hosting your domain, which means that you are using their POP3 server for incoming mail. As long as you have the user name and password supplied by them, you can collect mail from their servers from anywhere in the world, from any internet connection. Collecting mail is not dependent upon who you use to connect to the internet - it only requires that you be connected to the internet. This is why your settings in Outlook Express still work for collecting mail, even though you have changed the company that you use to connect to the internet (from GXN to Telefonica).

Sending mail is a different issue. You use SMTP servers to send mail, and it used to be that you could use another company's SMTP servers to send irrespective of how you connected to the internet. This facility, however, was misused by spammers using other SMTP servers to send their bulk mail (relaying), and now most companies restrict access to their SMTP servers. They do this in various ways, of which authenticating with a username and password is one. My ADSL connection in the UK, for example, does not require SMTP authentication with a username and password, but my provider will only provide me with access to their SMTP server if I am connected to the internet using their connection. This is why your GSX SMTP server will no longer accept your using them to send outgoing mail, as their SMTP server can only be used with a connection made to them via a dialup.

In order to use Telefonica's SMTP servers, it seems that Telefonica require users to authenticate with a username and password. You are therefore correct to check the box "My server requires authentication" in the section "Outgoing mail Server" under the "Servers" tab. However, this will not work with the setting "Use the same settings as my incoming mail server", because the settings for your Incoming Mail Server are GSX's POP3 settings, not Telefonica's. You are correct, in that you need to get the username and password from Telefonica for this to work. I guess this would only work if you were using Telefonica's POP3 servers for your incoming mail.

As I see it, these are now the following options available to you (and me!):

1. Get the username and password from Telefonica. I think this is going to be difficult if you do not speak Spanish, and using somebody else will also not be easy, as that person will encounter the problem of Telefonica wanting to verify identity before giving out the information (unless you can get that person to pose as you ).

2. Use a relaying SMTP server, of which there are many around the world. The problem with this is that they are not reliable, and you never know whether they are working or not at any given point in time.

3. Install your own SMTP server, so that all your mail is sent directly from your PC directly to the mail recipients' POP3 servers without relying on any other provider's SMTP servers. The advantages of this is that you are not restricted to the requirements of someone else's SMTP server, that you can use any internet connection you wish (if you are on a laptop, for example), amongst others. The disadvantages are that you have to install the server on your system, and that the server needs to be running in the background while you are dealing with your mail. You also need to be a little careful when setting up, so that you do not leave an open SMTP port, as spammers can use your server to send out bulk mail.

The third option is what I have chosen, and it is working very well for me from Spain.

Let me know how it goes, and if you need any more assistance with this, or have any more questions.

Good luck!

Nilay

http://www.inwebonline.com

Last edited by Nilay; Aug 6th 2003 at 8:55 am.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 2:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default smtp

I had same prob, but did a lot of work with dictionary....lol

page address http://telefonica.terra.es/correo/

in left column "gestion de correo"

Click " creacion cuentas de correo"

Fill in boxes, id is username, contrasena is password, which you should have got in letter from telefonica.

You should then be in window to create accounts.

Under "direcion de correo" type username, under contrasena type password, tick "crear" box on right.

SORTED.....

if you want to pick your mail up through O E , set up account in O E, pop3.telefonica.net smtp.telefonica.net

When you have set up account check in the O E account properties, in the server tab, account name must read username$telefonica.net the dollar sign is not a typo.....it is instead of @ sign...???¿¿¿

good luck john..

ps, also tick my server requires authentication box

Last edited by jdr; Aug 6th 2003 at 2:30 pm.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Hmmm...the only problem is that its now three months on, and I still have not received a letter from Telefonica (they make sure that they collect their money from me every month, though).

Did try the telefonica site when I first had this problem, jdr, with the help of a spanish dictionary, but had to stop when I came to the page requiring a user name and password....

My SMTP server's working OK, though and it does'nt need me to speak to it in Spanish

Nilay
Old Aug 6th 2003, 7:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Dial 1004, when the operator answers say "ablar engleesa por favor" or words to that effect , if they are not English, they will answer "oona momento", then an english operator will speak to you.
They may try to say they have nothing to do with ASDL, but persiveer, and tell them you have tried to speak Spanish but are not good enough to make them understand.
Explain that you have not received your username and password yet to open your email account.
I got a Dutch operator who was magic and sorted it when they had switched my ADSL off in error.
regards john..
Old Aug 8th 2003, 7:53 am
Just Joined

jdr,

About a month ago, I called 1004 and asked for their "Departmento Inglese", and spoke to them about this. The problem is that Telefonica have English speakers, but they outsource their ADSL services to another company who are not so obliging.

"Habla Inglese, por favor" invariably produced the response "No". Maybe I'm just not persuasive enough .

I'll try again, and see how it goes - maybe I'll get lucky .

Thanks

Nilay
Old Aug 17th 2003, 11:53 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need Help??

Hey I have read your post and have nothing to say but SORRY!!
I cant believe they dont have anyone that speaks english
If you guys want you can give me the telefonicas assistance number and I can give them a call to ask for help

Let me know

Best regards

Maria
Old Aug 17th 2003, 3:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Thumbs up

Maria thanks for the offer of help but i have mine sorted thanks, but yes it is true, the asdl side of telefonica, they will not speak any English at all, they will not even try to help if you have limited Spanish.
They are very helpful at taking the money out of your bank though
Old Aug 17th 2003, 3:59 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Bastards

Those telefonica bastards only care about money , That makes me so . I dont have telefonica as my ISP ( I have wanadoo) because they suck big time!!, but I gotta have them as my telephone company because there isnt another telephone company. I am glad you have solved your problem.. I should have read this topic before.. sorry guys, If you ever need help just PM me.,I will talk to those money hungry bastards..

Take care!!!
Old Nov 6th 2003, 9:41 am
birdie

I have read all the posted messages with interest and am wondering why nobody seems to realise that Telefonica are a huge problem in tenerife, I think mainly because their main admin dept is in mainland, why do you not just get a hotmail or yahoo address which is recognised globally and outlook setting are not treated like state secrets. All the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.