Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

SHIPPING TAX, FROM USA into SPAIN

SHIPPING TAX, FROM USA into SPAIN

Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Default SHIPPING TAX, FROM USA into SPAIN

I have posted this in the USA and Spain Forums FYI, someone also suggested posting in the Europe. I am look for personal experiences if at all possible..Thank you
-- - --
All,
I have many items I wish to ship from outside the EU into Spain - where I live. I have already paid State tax on all items, of course, and all items are well over 1-2 year old.

Items such as PS3, DVD's, HD TV etc etc.
I'm not interested in replies stating the 110v/220v/50hz/60hz difference, I got this and understand.
-
TAX is the concern / more so a twice over I don't want..

I called Fed-Ex USA to find out if there is a form I should fill out prior to shipping, as I know that before they get to my home destination Fed-Ex will hold all items in somewhere like Madrid prior to me paying "TAX"..
Fed-Ex says there is no form and they don't get involved in TAX questions..

Has anyone out there shipped from outside the EU into Spain, even using Fed-Ex, and had a good or bad outcome ?

I have since found out that a packing list in Spanish and English, to include valuations and Serial numbers, are required / help. Also even maybe noting my NIE number on the list too........

Your previous experiences would help me a great deal in the long run.
Thanks in Advance;

DSB.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:28 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SHIPPING TAX, FROM USA into SPAIN

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
I have posted this in the USA and Spain Forums FYI, someone also suggested posting in the Europe. I am look for personal experiences if at all possible..Thank you
-- - --
All,
I have many items I wish to ship from outside the EU into Spain - where I live. I have already paid State tax on all items, of course, and all items are well over 1-2 year old.

Items such as PS3, DVD's, HD TV etc etc.
I'm not interested in replies stating the 110v/220v/50hz/60hz difference, I got this and understand.
-
TAX is the concern / more so a twice over I don't want..

I called Fed-Ex USA to find out if there is a form I should fill out prior to shipping, as I know that before they get to my home destination Fed-Ex will hold all items in somewhere like Madrid prior to me paying "TAX"..
Fed-Ex says there is no form and they don't get involved in TAX questions..

Has anyone out there shipped from outside the EU into Spain, even using Fed-Ex, and had a good or bad outcome ?

I have since found out that a packing list in Spanish and English, to include valuations and Serial numbers, are required / help. Also even maybe noting my NIE number on the list too........

Your previous experiences would help me a great deal in the long run.
Thanks in Advance;

DSB.
That being so DSB, you aint supposed to muti post the forums

Having said that I already advised you in Spain what you should do based on my 30 years experience in the International Freight business as a Fellow of the Institute of Freight Forwarders.

When you ship with couriers worldwide you fill in normally a customs declaration / despatch note. This normally lists the values of the goods, and descriptions. It is unusual to say the least to hear of someone such as Fedex who offer a door to door service, to say that they dont get involved in payment of taxes. As I said, maybe contact them again because the local Fedex agent in Spain should attend to that for you

I have had shipments to the UK from US with various couriers, and they all work the same system. Most of them pay any charges and clear the goods without even contacting you and then collect when they call to arrange delivery.

I also suggested that you might want to call an airfreight company for a quote also, as you never know, it might be cheaper.

A full itemised packing list is always going to help get through customs easier, and of course being in Spanish will help.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I also suggested that you might want to call an airfreight company for a quote also, as you never know, it might be cheaper.
--

Ok - Understood. Sorry for the multi post.

I am in a War Zone right now, and the Fed-Ex / DHL people here are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike - unlike this forum.

I called Fed-Ex U.S International as that was my best connection with the companies "here". I know that there shipments from my location *** go thru Dubai and then into Europe.

Their answer to me on the phone was the one I wrote in the forum.
All being said - I shall do an expert packing list upon shipment time in two languages, maybe even including my NIE number for rubber stamping the whole deal.

I thank you for your quick responses, and bow to your knowledge

v/R;
DSB.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:53 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
--

Ok - Understood. Sorry for the multi post.

I am in a War Zone right now, and the Fed-Ex / DHL people here are about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike - unlike this forum.

I called Fed-Ex U.S International as that was my best connection with the companies "here". I know that there shipments from my location *** go thru Dubai and then into Europe.

Their answer to me on the phone was the one I wrote in the forum.
All being said - I shall do an expert packing list upon shipment time in two languages, maybe even including my NIE number for rubber stamping the whole deal.

I thank you for your quick responses, and bow to your knowledge

v/R;
DSB.
Are they basically saying that there in your local office they dont get involved? That might be because they wouldnt know what the taxes were in Spain I guess. Did they tell you that you / they would have to complete a despatch note with values on it?
If you are after what taxes you will have to pay (but I suspect you wwill not pay if you have owned the effects for some time) then maybe the local Spanish Consul would be a good move.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Are they basically saying that there in your local office they dont get involved? That might be because they wouldnt know what the taxes were in Spain I guess. Did they tell you that you / they would have to complete a despatch note with values on it?
If you are after what taxes you will have to pay (but I suspect you wwill not pay if you have owned the effects for some time) then maybe the local Spanish Consul would be a good move.
Mitzy,
Good copy..
I shall explore your suggestions..

Again - sorry for the multi posts.

DSB.

Last edited by bealerDSB; Jun 14th 2009 at 11:14 am. Reason: oops
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Sales tax is not VAT; the US does not have VAT. So I don't believe you'll be able to convince Spain that you've already paid "VAT".

That's the way I understand it, but it's just heresay.

However, I believe there is some kind of exemption on goods you've owned for some time. I brought an LCD screen through customs, and the customs officer let it through once he saw the receipt indicating that it was over 6 months old. I think the cutoff is 3 months or something like that. In any case, sales tax is meaningless.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:37 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by jgombos
Sales tax is not VAT; the US does not have VAT. So I don't believe you'll be able to convince Spain that you've already paid "VAT".

That's the way I understand it, but it's just heresay.

However, I believe there is some kind of exemption on goods you've owned for some time. I brought an LCD screen through customs, and the customs officer let it through once he saw the receipt indicating that it was over 6 months old. I think the cutoff is 3 months or something like that. In any case, sales tax is meaningless.
Its the difference between personal effects and new items, thats all. If you bought an LCD TV just before you came to Europe then they would probably look on it in a different way to had you had one for 6 or 7 months
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cool Re: SHIPPING TAX, FROM USA into SPAIN

Originally Posted by jgombos
Sales tax is not VAT
I was only referencing import TAX.

I will go online and sort through my amazon receipts to show dated references of purchases. They are all over 1year, probably more by the time I ship.

Packing List, 2 languages.
Serial #'s and Recipts.
Reason for being out of EU and returning with items.
My NIE # & Spanish address.

DSB