Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Road to a Grecian turn?

Road to a Grecian turn?

Old Feb 10th 2017, 8:05 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road to a Grecian turn?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Technically that is correct, but private bond-holders had their bonds cut by 50% in 2011, cutting Greek government debt by €100bn.
Those are the oft-quoted figures. However, the 50% is an average figure - some was cut by a good deal more.

Due to the amount of debt held in Greek banks and the amount by which that debt was cut, combined with the fact that those banks immediately had to be recapitalised to the same amount, plus the fact that there was other debt held by Greek public institutions which was involved in that haircut, the real reduction to the Greek state was apparently around half that.

I am not sure why the Greeks would want to stay in the EU if they abandon the euro.
Are you sure you can't see the difference between belonging to the EU and being in the Eurozone? (not that they are wanting to abandon the euro, of course).

Have we given up entirely on Greece ever having a self-sustaining economy and balanced budget?
Is any economy self-sustaining? We're all so intermingled these days, aren't we? But the answer to your question is no and in fact Greece has balanced its budget and produced a primary surplus of 2% in 2016, against forecasts of 0.5% and doubling the 2015 surplus.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 8:20 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
unlikely to happen anytime soon and maybe impossible whilst it is trapped in the Euro
I think it may well be impossible for any country to ever leave the Euro. France will likely be looking at this if Le Pen gets in but I really do not see how it could be achieved.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 8:32 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
If Greece is forced out of the Euro and not remained a member of the EU, this could resulted in such a large economic shock that could kill off the Greek economy for the medium term. In my humble view, the best result for the Greeks is for them to exit the Euro zone but remain a member of the EU. Start their own currency and default on all the current debts it has. However, I don't think the Germans will buy this idea.
Defaulting on the debts wouldn't make them go away - they'd still exist and they'd still be denominated in euros. There's also the matter of a large chunk of Greek state assets having been put into a trust fund as part of the current bailout to guard against such an event.

I also read somewhere that the idea Schäuble floated of Greece taking a break from the euro wasn't at all as generous as it might sound on the surface
Old Feb 10th 2017, 8:34 am
Polished expat

Technically that is correct but they have massively extended the maturity and lent Greece the money to pay them back................
And at least part of the conditions imposed as a result of accepting the loans make it less possible to repay those loans.

Last edited by Red Eric; Feb 10th 2017 at 8:42 am.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
I cannot see how the Greek economy can recover in the short term.

In theory, in the Greek case, being a member of the single market and single currency, the only way out of an economic downturn is by internal depreciation in capital and labour cost. By doing this 'should' resulted in the following -

1) The cost of production in Greece is a lot lower than the other countries in the currency block, so businesses will start to move to Greece to take advantage of the cheap labour and capital there.

2) Greek workers will use their freedom of movement rights in the single market to move to other Euro zone / EU country with high wages.

However, point (1) never happened. The Euro group, by forcing the Greeks to reform its economy and regulations, hopes businesses will start to move to Greece so that its economy can grown and reduce unemployment at the same time.

If Greece is forced out of the Euro and not remained a member of the EU, this could resulted in such a large economic shock that could kill off the Greek economy for the medium term. In my humble view, the best result for the Greeks is for them to exit the Euro zone but remain a member of the EU. Start their own currency and default on all the current debts it has. However, I don't think the Germans will buy this idea.
I agree. In fact, I would think just about any rational person would agree.
But whoever said the EU was rational?
The ECB made it very plain to Italy two weeks ago that Lex Monetaewould prevail. Italy can just about afford to escape. Greece are condemned to eternal servitude. Given the ECB's attitude their ONLY way out is to leave both. At present.
Of course of Merkel loses or is seriously weakened, the ECB might become more accommodating. But that might depend on whether you think that would indicate a dilution of Germany's hostility to a transfer union. Personally i do not.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:14 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
And at least part of the conditions imposed as a result of accepting the loans make it less possible to repay those loans.
Yes indeed I agree with you there hence my previously stated assessment that debt forgiveness, debt relief, reform and widening the tax base all have a part to play in resolving this mess if the Troika and Syriza are so minded.

Having agreed with you on that, I regretfully note that your incorrect assertion that the Greek government had already done everything asked of them and hence talks on debt forgiveness should start remains uncorrected.

My view is that any solution will need to be complex and multi-faceted and the narrow perspective that debt relief by itself will resolve anything needs to be challenged as it is patently ridiculous.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:15 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I think it may well be impossible for any country to ever leave the Euro. France will likely be looking at this if Le Pen gets in but I really do not see how it could be achieved.
We may find out whether you are right on that fairly soon. There was an idiot on another thread who actually stated that it was impossible to leave the EU despite the existence of Article 50....

Time will tell - I for one don't know one way or the other.

Last edited by Garbatellamike; Feb 10th 2017 at 10:23 am. Reason: typo
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:17 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I agree. In fact, I would think just about any rational person would agree.
Ah but are the actors in this entirely rational?

I think many of them are captives of their political ideology or are posturing egomaniacs desperate to prove how clever they are....
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:22 am
Dunroaming back in UK

I also read somewhere that the idea Schäuble floated of Greece taking a break from the euro wasn't at all as generous as it might sound on the surface
Yes indeed it wouldn't be generous for sure and would probably be a break for a decade or 3......
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:35 am
Polished expat

Having agreed with you on that, I regretfully note that your incorrect assertion that the Greek government had already done everything asked of them and hence talks on debt forgiveness should start remains uncorrected.

My view is that any solution will need to be complex and multi-faceted and the narrow perspective that debt relief by itself will resolve anything needs to be challenged as it is patently ridiculous.
Re: your first paragraph - that is because I never said that, so there's nothing to correct I said they had done what was agreed in order for the debt relief talks to be initiated. They have been through this before, though - they were supposed to be started once Greece had produced a primary surplus, which in fact happened under a previous government and a previous bailout. They weren't forthcoming then, either. There's always something that can be produced to make it look as though it's foot-dragging on Greece's part which is delaying the process, though.

Nor, incidentally, have I metioned "debt forgiveness" as far as I can remember. Debt relief / restructuring, yes but I'm pretty sure any sort of reduction in the sum owed has been ruled out. Not that I'd be averse to it happening - I just think it's been firmly enough stated that it won't to accept that, at least for the time being.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:37 am
Polished expat

Yes indeed it wouldn't be generous for sure and would probably be a break for a decade or 3......
And from what I read it wouldn't involve Greece even being in control of the currency - but I haven't got a handy link to anything official on that.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:51 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

And from what I read it wouldn't involve Greece even being in control of the currency - but I haven't got a handy link to anything official on that.
It may be in Roger Bootles's excellent paper on the subject:-

http://albertobagnai.it/wp-content/u...ootle_2012.pdf

The big problem is that there is no way you could even start work on an exit from the Euro without it becoming known. I think at the point the economy implodes. And remember also that the EU bill on exiting the EU (which would have to part and parcel of a Euro exit) would remain denominated in Euros.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:56 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Re: your first paragraph - that is because I never said that, so there's nothing to correct I said they had done what was agreed in order for the debt relief talks to be initiated. They have been through this before, though - they were supposed to be started once Greece had produced a primary surplus, which in fact happened under a previous government and a previous bailout. They weren't forthcoming then, either. There's always something that can be produced to make it look as though it's foot-dragging on Greece's part which is delaying the process, though.

Nor, incidentally, have I metioned "debt forgiveness" as far as I can remember. Debt relief / restructuring, yes but I'm pretty sure any sort of reduction in the sum owed has been ruled out. Not that I'd be averse to it happening - I just think it's been firmly enough stated that it won't to accept that, at least for the time being.
Your memory is incredibly forgetful Eric or you are being deliberately evasive... Grow some

Of course YOU didn't mention debt forgiveness - I DID!!!! Several times!!!! - do keep up ffs.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 10:57 am
Polished expat

I'm not sure that what Bootle worked on had much to do with what Schäuble allegedly had in mind for Greece.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 11:02 am
Hostage Negotiator

I'm not sure that what Bootle worked on had much to do with what Schäuble allegedly had in mind for Greece.
I don't think Schauble gives a flying duck what happens to Greece after they exit, Bootle clearly does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.