Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Road to a Grecian turn?

Road to a Grecian turn?

Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:04 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road to a Grecian turn?

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
What Eric reads it as:...

I think we can all see who has the problem with reading by now
Old Jan 30th 2017, 7:57 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric

I think we can all see who has the problem with reading by now
Yes indeed we can - is it age catching up with you as both your written expression and reading ability seem to be badly waning?
Old Jan 30th 2017, 8:00 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But that was done to stop Greece becoming a Russian satellite, which was quite likely as my recent reading of a book on the Crimean War explained, because Russia became a self-appointed protector of Orthodox Christians in the Ottoman empire, including notably the Greeks. In this era, the mid 1800's, the seeds of the Balkan war of the 1990's were sown.

I have now moved on to reading The Ottoman Endgame, which plugs the gap between the Crimean war and WWI.
I think there is something in that for sure. I think it was also a part of the momentum of the "More Europe" movement. With 20/20 hind sight it was, as Eric correctly alludes to, insane.......
Old Jan 30th 2017, 8:26 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

.... is it age catching up with you...
Is it safe for you to be thinking about numbers again so soon?
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:00 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Is it safe for you to be thinking about numbers again so soon?
perfectly mate - I'm quite good at hard sums are you OK on numbers still?
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:01 am
Dunroaming back in UK

As someone else has pointed out, no Greece forum, hence posting here where nobody'll read it, however....

Are we watching history in the making here? The new Greek government appears to have made significant headway in at least getting acknowledgement of the fact that they have ideas for change.

That comes as a breath of fresh air after years of the extremely unpleasant austerity experiment. Obviously, they're not being openly welcomed on all sides but they've made a good start.

Could this lead to general adoption of a different approach, a bit of relief for the other bailed out nations in the short term and perhaps a brighter future for Europe later on?
About time to reflect on the original post in this thread - how is that working out for you Eric

My answer at post 2 was - NO!
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:17 am
Polished expat

perfectly mate - I'm quite good at hard sums ...
Oh well, as long as you only do it for a hobby, I suppose that might be OK Easy on the percentages, though
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:19 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Oh well, as long as you only do it for a hobby, I suppose that might be OK Easy on the percentages, though
oh dear Eric you are getting all EMR on me....

as you are neither lazy or stupid that's a bit disappointing as you have been a bit sharper in the past - is it related to age too?
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:23 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Anyway now you've dragged me down to your level, we are probably boring other people so

What are your views on the original post given what has subsequently transpired?

As someone else has pointed out, no Greece forum, hence posting here where nobody'll read it, however....

Are we watching history in the making here? The new Greek government appears to have made significant headway in at least getting acknowledgement of the fact that they have ideas for change.

That comes as a breath of fresh air after years of the extremely unpleasant austerity experiment. Obviously, they're not being openly welcomed on all sides but they've made a good start.

Could this lead to general adoption of a different approach, a bit of relief for the other bailed out nations in the short term and perhaps a brighter future for Europe later on?
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:37 am
Polished expat

What are your views on the original post given what has subsequently transpired?
I still think there should be a separate Greece forum, even though I was wrong about nobody reading that post.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:38 am
Dunroaming back in UK

I still think there should be a separate Greece forum, even though I was wrong about nobody reading that post.
good evasion - well played.....

and????????
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:40 am
Polished expat

And what?
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But that was done to stop Greece becoming a Russian satellite, which was quite likely as my recent reading of a book on the Crimean War explained, because Russia became a self-appointed protector of Orthodox Christians in the Ottoman empire, including notably the Greeks. In this era, the mid 1800's, the seeds of the Balkan war of the 1990's were sown.

I have now moved on to reading The Ottoman Endgame, which plugs the gap between the Crimean war and WWI.
Thanks for the books - already ordered (from Amazon)

But (IMHO) it goes back a bit further than that I think Colonel. Faultline of the old Western and Eastern Roman Empires. Defence line of Europe against the Ottomans for centuries. Gates of Vienna. Collapse of Constantinople. etc etc.
Makes Orban and Hungary's fears on immigration a bit more understandable.
French histories of the Byzantines are very different (much less sympathetic, if that is the right word) to English and German. A largely forgotten but crucially important part of European history. Blood has a very long memory.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:49 am
Dunroaming back in UK

And what?
Evasive - Let me help you out!

Old Jan 30th 2017, 9:50 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Thanks for the books - already ordered (from Amazon)

But (IMHO) it goes back a bit further than that I think Colonel. Faultline of the old Western and Eastern Roman Empires. Defence line of Europe against the Ottomans for centuries. Gates of Vienna. Collapse of Constantinople. etc etc.
Makes Orban and Hungary's fears on immigration a bit more understandable.
French histories of the Byzantines are very different (much less sympathetic, if that is the right word) to English and German. A largely forgotten but crucially important part of European history. Blood has a very long memory.
Interesting view Biggles and you are on to something there for sure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.