Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Possibility of moving to Belgium

Possibility of moving to Belgium

Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Possibility of moving to Belgium

This is still a bit up in the air yet though, but any help or advice is welcome. There maybe a job move for DH later this year or early next to Leuven or Heverlee. We are Brit born and raised, but have USA/Brit dual citizenship. It was more lifestyle, culture, shopping, healthcare info that I needed to even consider if a move would be worthwhile. I know the weather would probably be not much better than Britain, which is a downside. Housing info would be great, probably renting, as we really don't want to sell up here unless push comes to shove. There is also our 3 largish dogs to consider, but it might be down to 2 by the time of possible move comes about. We would need language lessons as we don't speak French, German or any other languages except English. Thanks in advance
Old Jul 8th 2012, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Possibility of moving to Belgium

I lived in Antwerp for a couple of year and the winters were very fierce but I liked the relatively laid back lifestyle and cheap accommodation (restaurants expensive so cooked my own food). The Belgians are a bit insular and Flemish is a horrible sounding language but English widely spoken, income tax is rather high.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

I live in Belgium, have a shop in Leuven..... You can get by her only speaking english, but some of the older generations don't speak it too well, but the younger generation do. French is not spoken here. Leuven is OK to live, but I can't wait to move back to Australia.. but thats just me.
You would be able to find a house with garden, but sometimes it is difficult with dogs. Expect to pay anywhere between 800-1500 pm for a nice house.
Antwerp is 45min away, brussels is 20min.... belgium muscles, choco and chips are great... if you want any info drop me a PM
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

BenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

As said by the others you can get by on english, the area's you spoke of are both majority Flemish speaking who mostly have excellent language skills.

I lived in Belgium for almost 5 years, its a great place and very under rated in my opinion. the people are modest and genuine! Leuven is a great little city and very vibrant with the university there.

I once sat outside a bar in Leuven and listened to everyone around me, there was a group of around 10 people all talking in English, yet not one of them was from a native english speaking country.