Reload this Page >

Overseas landlord struggling to understand UK tax return

Overseas landlord struggling to understand UK tax return

Old Jan 4th 2016, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

usa_dude is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Overseas landlord struggling to understand UK tax return

Hi,

I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this and I appreciate all your response.

I am an overseas landlord and I own a property in the UK. HMRC have said my tax wont be deducted form September 2015, I am going through a management company, my questions are as follows:

- Do i get a refund from HMRC for the tax I paid since April 2015 to September 2015 or would this come from the management company?
- Do i complete a tax return form online or wait until HMRC send me one by mail? Would this need to be completed by 31st January 2016 or 31st March 2016?
- This would be my first time doing a tax return, so what can i off set, would the following be applicable: management fees, annual gas certificate, insurances, repair costs, mortgage, and is there an allowance I am allowed e.g. £10k before I have to pay tax to HMRC in 2016?

Thank you

John
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Overseas landlord struggling to understand UK tax return

Originally Posted by usa_dude
Hi,

I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this and I appreciate all your response.

I am an overseas landlord and I own a property in the UK. HMRC have said my tax wont be deducted form September 2015, I am going through a management company, my questions are as follows:

- Do i get a refund from HMRC for the tax I paid since April 2015 to September 2015 or would this come from the management company?
- Do i complete a tax return form online or wait until HMRC send me one by mail? Would this need to be completed by 31st January 2016 or 31st March 2016?
- This would be my first time doing a tax return, so what can i off set, would the following be applicable: management fees, annual gas certificate, insurances, repair costs, mortgage, and is there an allowance I am allowed e.g. £10k before I have to pay tax to HMRC in 2016?

Thank you

John
Rather belated response. I am not sure what prompted HMRC to announce you won't have tax deducted from Seotember 2015, perhaps because it was only then the non resident landlord form was submitted? Ideally this would have been done from the outset, the managing agent should have known about it.

Whether you get tax refund or not would depend upon how much your UK earnings, including letting income was during the year and how much tax was paid. The refund will be from HMRC.

You will not be able to do an online tax return as a non resident unless you buy commercial tax software. The tax year your income mentioned is attributable to is not over until 5 April 2016 so certainly not due a return by either 31 January or 31 March. The deadline for paper returns will be 31 October 2016 and online would be 31 January 2017.

If you are expecting a refund, I would be doing it ASAP however regardless of deadline. However do not assume it will be a refund, just because it is no longer deducted at source does not mean you are not liable for tax. You might have a bill deoending on numbers amd other factors.

Expenses associated with the letting are allowable. Mortgage is not an expense to you, it is a cashflow so this is not allowable, only the interest you are charged on the mortgage is allowable. Not enough information to say whether you are entitled to a personal allowance - are you British?

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Feb 2nd 2016 at 5:20 am.