Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

NHS coverage in Austria?

NHS coverage in Austria?

Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:45 am
Just Joined

david-p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NHS coverage in Austria?

I am exploring the option of retiring in Vienna, which I know well and where I have professional connections and friends. I currently live in Texas and have state and other pensions from both the USA and the UK.

Can anyone please give me advice about what I need to know before doing this? I am particularly interested to know whether my NHS entitlement is transferable from the UK to Austria, but any snags (or perks!) that you know about would be of great interest and help.

Thanks!

David
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS coverage in Austria?

Having lived in the States for 6 years, you don't have any NHS entitlements, but if you are drawing a STATE pension from the UK then you may have reciprocal arrangements for health cover while in in Austria. This cover may allow you to use Austrian health services prior to you joining any Austrian schemes for long term coverage.

You should Google Austrian health cover to see what it is you can apply for.
Old Oct 29th 2012, 7:12 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by david-p
I am exploring the option of retiring in Vienna, which I know well and where I have professional connections and friends. I currently live in Texas and have state and other pensions from both the USA and the UK.

Can anyone please give me advice about what I need to know before doing this? I am particularly interested to know whether my NHS entitlement is transferable from the UK to Austria, but any snags (or perks!) that you know about would be of great interest and help.

Thanks!

David
If you're receiving a UK state pension or long-term incapacity benefit, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK......

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...ingabroad.aspx
Old Nov 16th 2012, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Domino
If you're receiving a UK state pension or long-term incapacity benefit, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK......

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...ingabroad.aspx
Thanks for this. It appears to be possible, but difficult!

David
Old Nov 17th 2012, 8:48 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this. It appears to be possible, but difficult!

David
Not necessarily difficult, no.
You need to speak to the DWP in Newcastle upon Tyne and they can give you advice

Yes, there are reciprocal arrangements for pensioners and those in receipt of certain disability benefits, you just need to check fully that you qualify
Old Nov 18th 2012, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Having lived in the States for 6 years, you don't have any NHS entitlements, but if you are drawing a STATE pension from the UK then you may have reciprocal arrangements for health cover while in in Austria. This cover may allow you to use Austrian health services prior to you joining any Austrian schemes for long term coverage.

You should Google Austrian health cover to see what it is you can apply for.
could you tell me why he has no entitlement? ive been living in Canada for allmost 7 years now and im thinking of going back to the uk, does this mean ive lost any entitlement to NHS treatment?

Thanks
Old Nov 18th 2012, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davio28
could you tell me why he has no entitlement? ive been living in Canada for allmost 7 years now and im thinking of going back to the uk, does this mean ive lost any entitlement to NHS treatment?

Thanks
The OP is asking about having NHS entitlement if and when he moves to Austria, plus he has been living in the States for a number of years.

No entitlement whatsoever, but I said that he may be eligible for reciprocal arrangements if he has certain UK state pensions.

If and when YOU go back to the UK to live permanently you will be eligible to use the NHS. Eligibility to use the NHS in the UK is based on residency
Old Nov 20th 2012, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

davio28 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info
Old Nov 20th 2012, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Not necessarily difficult, no.
You need to speak to the DWP in Newcastle upon Tyne and they can give you advice

Yes, there are reciprocal arrangements for pensioners and those in receipt of certain disability benefits, you just need to check fully that you qualify
Thanks for your help. I am currently trying to find out from Newcastle whether I am entitled to health benefits in Austria. The trouble is that it takes more than 4 weeks to get a reply to a letter!

Does anyone have any idea what the criteria are for someone with a UK state pension moving back to the EU, not via the UK, who has been out of the EU for 29 years?

Thanks!

David
Old Nov 20th 2012, 3:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help. I am currently trying to find out from Newcastle whether I am entitled to health benefits in Austria. The trouble is that it takes more than 4 weeks to get a reply to a letter!

Does anyone have any idea what the criteria are for someone with a UK state pension moving back to the EU, not via the UK, who has been out of the EU for 29 years?

Thanks!

David
If you are receiving a state pension as a UK pensioner then it is normal that you qualify for health care in another EU country. If you are married to another EU citizen who is below state pension age then so will they be, as a dependent. Why don't you call DWP Newcastle, then you will get an immediate answer.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks!

David
When you talk about a UK State pension are you describing the pension paid to Old Age Pensioners citizens via their NIC contributions or is this an employer based pension?

Have you been paying voluntary UK NIC contributions for the past 29 years while out of the country?
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!

David
You lose your entitlement to NHS treatment when you leave the UK other than temporary cover in the EU.
Your State Pension entitlement will depend on the number of years contributions you have make. Full entitlement requires 30 years contributions. Therefore, if you have 10 years contributions then you will get 10/30 of the basic state pension.
If you have a State Pension from the UK then you may be entitled to emergency care paid by the UK but not sure what would happen in your case.
In 2000, the NIC contributions were computerised and some records were lost ( including 2 years of my contributions ).
It would be worth your while asking for an on-line pension forecast from DWP.
I know a US citizen currently living in France on a visa and he has a Carte Vitale. God knows how he managed to get it.
Good luck