Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Luxembourg - where to live?

Luxembourg - where to live?

Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

paulw99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Luxembourg - where to live?

Hello, I'm in the running for a job in Luxembourg.
I've heard that many expats who work there live in the bordering countries.
Is this true? Is there a particular reason for this? Which is the best one to live in?

cheers
Old Jun 5th 2009, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Luxembourg - where to live?

France , Belgium , Germany ...all good , depends on your preferences !
Old Jun 5th 2009, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

My preferences are lower taxes and less hassles! Do you know which one most ex-pats (esp Brits) gravitate towards?
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's not easy to get Luxembourg citizenship ... Belgian citizenship might be easier to get, if obtaining dual citizenship is important.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

No, I already have a European passport.

I was thinking Belgium would be popular - smaller country, less bureaucracy, people more likely to speak English.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 3:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulw99
No, I already have a European passport.

I was thinking Belgium would be popular - smaller country, less bureaucracy, people more likely to speak English.
If you have a British passport, perhaps peruse the following:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Acquir...te_Citizenship

Taxes are higher in Belgium, but the cost of living may be lower. Most Flemish Belgians do speak English, but that is not the case in the French speaking part of the country.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

There's more to this , than meets the eye , iniatially at least !

Germany : organised , functional , cleaner & more law-abiding , than the other 2 ;
Belgium : some huuge taxes , lassez-faire elsewhere , can be dismal , filthy and depressing on ( many a ) grey rainy day ;
France : can you deal with the fisc ..and some of the attitudes ?

In simplistic terms , the beer is best and cheapest in Belgium , petrol & diesel in Lux , grocery shopping in Germany and yet many think that life ( joie de vivre ) is Best : in La Belle France .
Old Jun 10th 2009, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

how difficult it is living there if you speak english only?

maybe workplace is ok but how about ordering food, getting services installed, medical emergencies...you know everyday life.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Then Bruxelles would appear a much better bet .
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Aurelia is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not live in Luxembourg. I'm seriously looking at going there and it seems so nice to me but is it too expensive? boring? What's the problem with it?
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

...both of the above...