Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Living and working in Europe For 6 Months

Living and working in Europe For 6 Months

Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Eastwood64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living and working in Europe For 6 Months

Hi everyone- I'm only 15 but Ive got big plans for when I'm older. Being a fluent German speaker (near enough anyway), I'd like to go and live and work there for about 6 months - for an adventure so to speak. Ive heard that as a UK Citizen, I can work and live in europe without applying for a visa for a certain period of time. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on this subject of visas and what I'd have to do to make my dream a reality.

Also, has anyone ever done anything like this? if so, I'd be interested to hear your stories (not just germany, any country).

Thanks for your time
Pete
Old Aug 31st 2005, 11:13 am
Just Joined

bosvrucht is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living and working in Europe For 6 Months

As a British citizen you have the right to live and work anywhere in Europe that you choose.

I am British and I live in the German speaking area of Belgium and I work in The Netherlands!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bosvrucht
As a British citizen you have the right to live and work anywhere in Europe that you choose.

I am British and I live in the German speaking area of Belgium and I work in The Netherlands!
Is there a limit on the time you can spend there or can you stay for as long as you want? sorry if it seems like im asking loads of questions but im just really interested.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

bosvrucht is an unknown quantity at this point

You're European, you can do WHATEVER, WHENEVER you want in Europe.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Ok Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 1st 2005, 12:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite. You normally have to be able to support yourself by working (or from your own means), as you have no automatic right to claim welfare.

Also you usually can't vote (local and "European" elections excepted), you'll probably find many public service jobs closed to non-citizens, and any children you have in the country won't automatically be able to claim local citizenship.

These issues don't impact people day to day but can have a longer term impact.

Jeremy
Old Sep 1st 2005, 4:39 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

If you're planning on going to university in a few years, you might look at some of the sandwich courses. These typically place you in one or two jobs for six months to a year in the middle of the course. A lot of them can place you in Europe regardless of the subject that you are studying. (Some can also allow you to move to a non-UK university for a year or two, perhaps even getting a joint degree with another country.) Many of my friends did these courses, and they seemed to make very good contacts for getting jobs in Europe after their degrees. Good luck!
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:14 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Not quite. You normally have to be able to support yourself by working (or from your own means), as you have no automatic right to claim welfare.
Indeed, if you can't do that you technically have no automatic right to stay in the country at all!