Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Language is the only barrier

Language is the only barrier

Old Oct 8th 2008, 5:41 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Language is the only barrier

Originally Posted by dmu
Life is fine if the parents' income is adequate to feed and clothe them with enough left over to cover inevitable expenses, activities, trips to visit the family, etc..... Their quality of life wouldn't be very enviable if the parents had to count their centimes at the end of every month. I mentioned on another post that a frugal couple could survive on the SMIC (minimum guaranteed wage) of about 900 € per month, but without counting rent or mortgage repayment, and 3 children would probably soak up about double that. I may be wrong, but a family income of less than 1800€ per month (with no rent to pay) wouldn't guarantee their well-being.

1800€ or £1390 per month without rent,and that is net,you need a well paid job,if it is possible to get one,plus no free national sickness care.It is not Gods gift to a easy life.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:41 pm
Ever The Optimist

jen_andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stanage2
1800€ or £1390 per month without rent,and that is net,you need a well paid job,if it is possible to get one,plus no free national sickness care.It is not Gods gift to a easy life.
To be honest I don't know how we could get by on £1390 per month without rent either here.

I personally am not expecting France to be any more cost-effective than the UK, but the cost of living here is escalating (as no doubt it is in most countries), and I'd rather have a more outdoors way of living for my family and be skint then stuck here and skint.

I'm one of three kids, and my parents had a very tough time running their own business here whilst I was at high school. I understand how money strains can effect youngsters, all the changes and new language will no doubt be hard on anyone at any age, but I doubt Polly B would just move there without any finances in place and/or jobs lined up. I don't know how any one with or without kids could stomach the risk and worry involved with such a daunting move.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:06 pm
Banned

stanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud ofstanage2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jen_andy
To be honest I don't know how we could get by on £1390 per month without rent either here.

I personally am not expecting France to be any more cost-effective than the UK, but the cost of living here is escalating (as no doubt it is in most countries), and I'd rather have a more outdoors way of living for my family and be skint then stuck here and skint.

I'm one of three kids, and my parents had a very tough time running their own business here whilst I was at high school. I understand how money strains can effect youngsters, all the changes and new language will no doubt be hard on anyone at any age, but I doubt Polly B would just move there without any finances in place and/or jobs lined up. I don't know how any one with or without kids could stomach the risk and worry involved with such a daunting move.
Now thats a thinking post,is your mate thinking the same way?
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Polly B is an unknown quantity at this point

Her mate very much agrees but obviously unknowingly came across as selfish and stupid. Believe me - she`s neither.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Polly B
Her mate very much agrees but obviously unknowingly came across as selfish and stupid. Believe me - she`s neither.

I am pleased for you both,to see that a least thinking again.

Good luck to you both in your future movements.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Polly B is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

GustoMaximus is an unknown quantity at this point

lol
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by GustoMaximus
lol

Commun