Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just turned 18 and wanting to move away.

Just turned 18 and wanting to move away.

Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

patex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant futurepatex has a brilliant future
Default Re: Just turned 18 and wanting to move away.

At 18, I felt just like you and I've been emigrating/running ever since.

Here's my advice having lived in several countries, observed different cultures and learned a bit about running away; 18 is young, but the next time you stop and look around you'll be 25. There is time to have adventures but not time to waste, so make sure that whatever you do, it's leading somewhere.

Amass skills, qualifications and contacts as you travel because otherwise you'll come crawling home in a few years with nothing to show for all your life experience. Your old friends at this point will have blossoming careers, homes and stable relationships.

Also make sure that you're totally honest and final with yourself about the places you visit. As you leave them, KNOW whether you could ever settle there or not. Otherwise you'll always be chasing your tail.

Folks here have already advised WWOOFing and it's a great experience but it doesn't give you a "real" view of the place - there's WWOOF sites in the UK, stay at one then compare it to actual life in the UK and you'll see what I mean. I'd strongly advise either study or take an internship abroad. You need to see the world and at the same time, be working towards making a living in something you like doing.

The most important thing to realise is that the life you deserve isn't waiting for you out there somewhere. You have to make yourself happy today and sometimes that's catching a flight, sometimes it's just meeting the right person at the airport.

Oh, on a less esoteric note: the continent really is different than the UK! There are idiots everywhere but in general, the youth is more cultured in places like Belgium, France and Germany. The furthest eastern points of Europe can be a bit rougher though. Good luck!

Last edited by patex; Aug 31st 2012 at 6:18 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

bsquared is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just turned 18 and wanting to move away.

Great post Patex. Thumbs up on that and a very intelligent opinion

Wherever you go, make the most of it, especially when it comes to qualifications and learning experiences

I myself live in the Netherlands and am in my mid-20s. I certainly recommend it for a short time at least