Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Joiner looking for work abroad

Joiner looking for work abroad

Old Oct 10th 2021, 9:02 am
Just Joined

ghope9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Joiner looking for work abroad

I am a trained joiner from England and look for work abroad pretty much anywhere , can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old Oct 10th 2021, 1:10 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joiner looking for work abroad

Originally Posted by ghope9
I am a trained joiner from England and look for work abroad pretty much anywhere , can anyone point me in the right direction?
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Since you're posting in the Europe Forum, be aware that, since Brexit, you must now acquire a working Visa for the EU country chosen, before you leave the UK. In France, for example, this would involve presenting a business plan for your own enterprise, or having a salaried job already lined up, i.e. sponsored by a company in France.
You'd have to check whether your qualifications are accepted in your chosen country.
Language would also be a factor - do you speak any European languages? If not, you'd have problems communicating with Bureaucracy/customers/suppliers.... in which case you might consider Eire or possibly the Netherlands or one of the Scandinavian countries where they all speak English.
You could come to your chosen country as a "Tourist", for a maximum of 90 days, to research the job market and see whether the nitty gritty of living in that country really suits you. But you wouldn't be able to work and you'd have to return to the UK within those 3 months....
When you know which country you'd like to head for, post again in the dedicated forum above, and those living there will be able to give advice better than the above general info.
HTH
Old Oct 12th 2021, 7:20 am
Just Joined

ghope9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Since you're posting in the Europe Forum, be aware that, since Brexit, you must now acquire a working Visa for the EU country chosen, before you leave the UK. In France, for example, this would involve presenting a business plan for your own enterprise, or having a salaried job already lined up, i.e. sponsored by a company in France.
You'd have to check whether your qualifications are accepted in your chosen country.
Language would also be a factor - do you speak any European languages? If not, you'd have problems communicating with Bureaucracy/customers/suppliers.... in which case you might consider Eire or possibly the Netherlands or one of the Scandinavian countries where they all speak English.
You could come to your chosen country as a "Tourist", for a maximum of 90 days, to research the job market and see whether the nitty gritty of living in that country really suits you. But you wouldn't be able to work and you'd have to return to the UK within those 3 months....
When you know which country you'd like to head for, post again in the dedicated forum above, and those living there will be able to give advice better than the above general info.
HTH
thanks for your help
Old Oct 25th 2021, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Language would also be a factor - do you speak any European languages? If not, you'd have problems communicating with Bureaucracy/customers/suppliers.... in which case you might consider Eire or possibly the Netherlands or one of the Scandinavian countries where they all speak English. HTH
Firstly, 'they all speak English' is a myth. Secondly (and I can only speak for the Netherlands here), bureaucracy is dealt with only in the first language, to avoid any legal ambiguity. The tax office will not deal with you in English, for example (apart from the niche office which only handles highly skilled knowledge migrants). Any legal documents drafted will require a certified translator to translate them prior to signing (cost around e300, I believe).

I'm not sure if the OP means that he wishes to relocate abroad, or just do projects abroad but remain in the UK. Then he might be able to look into whether there is a cross-boarder worker permit scheme (I'm not in the UK and although there is a scheme for UK citizens already legally resident in the EU to do this, I don't know if such a thing exists for those still resident in the UK.)

Old Oct 25th 2021, 12:02 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
Firstly, 'they all speak English' is a myth. Secondly (and I can only speak for the Netherlands here), bureaucracy is dealt with only in the first language, to avoid any legal ambiguity. The tax office will not deal with you in English, for example (apart from the niche office which only handles highly skilled knowledge migrants). Any legal documents drafted will require a certified translator to translate them prior to signing (cost around e300, I believe).

I'm not sure if the OP means that he wishes to relocate abroad, or just do projects abroad but remain in the UK. Then he might be able to look into whether there is a cross-boarder worker permit scheme (I'm not in the UK and although there is a scheme for UK citizens already legally resident in the EU to do this, I don't know if such a thing exists for those still resident in the UK.)
This is what they believe in France, anyway! Here, the Dutch are considered the best linguists in Europe... Your average customer or supplier would probably be able to communicate in English, but I agree entirely that official documents are always in the first language and it's up to the foreigner to make sure he/she understands everything said and written before committing themselves. (The OP seems to have left the building....)