Reload this Page >

Info on Mallorca please?

Info on Mallorca please?

Old Sep 30th 2003, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

The Oddfather is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Info on Mallorca please?

Hi
I am planning to move my family out to Mallorca in the next few months and would love to hear from anyone who lives or spends a lot of time there with their views on living & running a business on the island. I currently have a business in the UK & in Madrid and can semi-run them over the phone but am interested in starting up a bar/club/restaurant in Mallorca as well once we settle there. We have spent a lot of time looking around the Costa Blanca & Costa del sol but we found nothing we really liked the look of and although I have never been to Mallorca have been told by numerous people it is a very nice place.(Am planning to go there in 2 weeks to look around). I need to be pretty close to an international school and have found that they are all around Palma so will be looking to be within a 15 minute drive from Palma ideally. Anyone with any info on areas would be much appreciated as our main reason for moving is better life for children with less crime so we can actually let them go out of the house and play! as well as a more laid back life with sun & sea.
Also is crime low there does anyone know compared to other areas of Spain & UK. Hope I havent bored you all !
Old Oct 1st 2003, 8:39 am
Just Joined

ChrisMM is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents (and brothers) have lived in Mallorca for 23 years now and I know the place pretty well, It is a very beautiful Island though the pace of development is frightening, house prices are now comparable to the uk with the more exclusive areas rather pricey. 15 minutes from Palma will not get you very far, It is a busy city and the traffic can be terrible - though they have build a bypass recently.
My parents run a car hire business in Magalluf, this is the only resort with any life outside the main summer season though even here most places close down for 6 months of the year. Running a bar/restaurant is very hard work there is a lot of competition and staff problems, my brothers girlfriend runs the 'Charlie Brown' chain of restaurants and so have a pretty good idea of the problems.
My parents are actually thinking of leaving and moving to France the weather for the last year has been terrible, a cold wet windy winter was followed by a blisteringly hot summer, I think they will see how this winter goes before deciding.
If you have any specific questions let me know and I'll try and answer them.
Old Oct 2nd 2003, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

sputnikspouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Santa ponsa is a lovely place with lots of nice shops cafe's etc i would highly reccomend it
regards