Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm sick of the UK! Help Please

I'm sick of the UK! Help Please

Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:58 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sick of the UK! Help Please

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Downtown Baghdad is lovely this time of year.
Way too hot for me - I prefer the sea breezes in Mogadishu.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:07 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
Way too hot for me - I prefer the sea breezes in Mogadishu.
Could I interest you with Free Flights and Suncream. And an all you can eat buffet.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 5:11 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Could I interest you with Free Flights and Suncream. And an all you can eat buffet.
throw in an AK-47 and big sack of qat and I'll be over that
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:08 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Only more and more that have actually moved away from it probably.

I am amazed that anyone could despise their own country. I'm at a loss to understand. Its a beautiful country with so much history and such varied countryside. I go back from time to time and enjoy it immensely. I was the country that gave me what I have today. Every country has its pitfalls ... the UK is no exception, but to despise it is very very sad
Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
But in Spain theres just as many jobsworths doing the same thing . I dont disrespect your opinion, but to write a country off with so much beauty and interest because of interfering civil servants is just ... well ... wrong

In reality I dont find the beaurocracy more of a nightmare in the UK than here in Spain. I try not to let it get to me here, and I dont let it get to me in the UK.
Originally Posted by JohnD63
You'll probably have more of an appreciation for the UK when your living in another country. The grass always appears greener on the other side , until you're standing on the other side
I am with you two on this.

Dont forget a lot of British come to live in Spain with the advantages of what the UK enabled them to achieve.

Ask a few Spanish who are struggling about the lovely relaxed and easy lifestyle they have, when they are in line for handouts from the local church.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnD63
You'll probably have more of an appreciation for the UK when your living in another country. The grass always appears greener on the other side , until you're standing on the other side
Well I've being living in Spain for over 2 years now & can say yes the grass is definitely greener here & since moving it has made me realise just how bad things are in the UK. My only mistake is not moving sooner.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

richardcraig is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by licinius
Well I've being living in Spain for over 2 years now & can say yes the grass is definitely greener here & since moving it has made me realise just how bad things are in the UK. My only mistake is not moving sooner.
Hi all

While both my girlfriend and I are keen to move out to spain, I have started trying to find automation engineering companies that might need a PLC / computer programmer so might look for contract work. I did like the idea of owning a bar like another expat i was chatting to.

Did everyone secure a job before they moved or has anyone started a business in spain?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardcraig
I did like the idea of owning a bar like another expat i was chatting to.

Did everyone secure a job before they moved or has anyone started a business in spain?
Most people like the idea of owning a bar but soon find themselves working 20 hour days, 7 days a week. My own situation is quite unique because even though I moved abroad..................... I kept my job. Espionage has it's advantages ha ha