Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

I'm sick of the UK! Help Please

I'm sick of the UK! Help Please

Old May 27th 2010, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm sick of the UK! Help Please

Gibraltar? English speaking and Spain is across the road. lol
Old May 27th 2010, 10:52 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jpounder
Hi, My wife and I want to move out of the UK, we are both prepared to do any type of work necessary. Can anybody give us any advice on where to start with regards to planning. I have no degrees but my wife is a qualified photographer. Also she has a communications and marketing diploma.

We want to move somewhere with a mediterranean climate.

I'm 23 my wife is 30 if that helps as well.

Thanks in advance

James
All this Doom and Gloom

There is one place you have probably overlooked in Europe that is right up your street, Although the climate is a bit hit and miss and getting your head around some of the vowels would be like trying to talk German whilst having a Tandoori Enema. But I digress this hidden golden jewel in Europe is Wales, Lots to photograph and the odd renovation bargain. Well need I say More.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; May 27th 2010 at 10:55 am.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Gibraltar? English speaking and Spain is across the road. lol
Attractive ?
Only : until you visit !
Once !
After which , you'll wish ne'er ever to need to go there again , I reckon !
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
To make it in any foreign country, it is not enough to hate the country that you are leaving, you have got to really love the one you are going to, or you will not be able to put up with all the hassle and red tape that is waiting for you when you arrive there to live
I'm with the OP on this one, I left Britain 2 years ago not because I dreamed of sunnier climbs or anything like that. I left because I despise the UK & really can't imagine anywhere else worse to live.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:19 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by licinius
I'm with the OP on this one, I left Britain 2 years ago not because I dreamed of sunnier climbs or anything like that. I left because I despise the UK & really can't imagine anywhere else worse to live.

I dont know if it is just me, but I find this post very sad..............

I cant believe that anyone could not think of a worse place to live than in the UK

One of the best things about starting the adventure of living in another country is the "ilusion" (Spanish meaning) of the new country and not just "escaping" the old one.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I dont know if it is just me, but I find this post very sad..............

I cant believe that anyone could not think of a worse place to live than in the UK

One of the best things about starting the adventure of living in another country is the "ilusion" (Spanish meaning) of the new country and not just "escaping" the old one.
I agree it's sad that someone should think like that of their own country, but unfortunately more & more people share my viewpoint.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of

Why should your preference for lifestyle, climate, culture and all the other factors that make up our lives be decided purely by an accident of birth? I was born in the UK, I like the UK, I enjoy my visits there once a year and appreciate some of the more positive aspect of the country - but I wouldn't like to live there again for a growing number of reasons.

Humans are prone to movement. Who hasn't moved neighbourhoods or cities within their country of birth? Moving country is no different - it just involves more dramatic changes, and possibly more dramatic rewards.

I no longer see the UK as 'my own country'. For all its pros and cons, it's just the piece of land where I was born.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree it's sad that someone should think like that of their own country, but unfortunately more & more people share my viewpoint.
Only more and more that have actually moved away from it probably.

I am amazed that anyone could despise their own country. I'm at a loss to understand. Its a beautiful country with so much history and such varied countryside. I go back from time to time and enjoy it immensely. I was the country that gave me what I have today. Every country has its pitfalls ... the UK is no exception, but to despise it is very very sad
Old Jun 12th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

I believe in live & let live but you can't do that in Britain. There is a vast army today of people who's job it is purely to interfere with you.

Next time you're in the UK just look around & see how many local government jobsworths are eyeballing you to see if they can ticket you for something. Then compare that with Spain, where you only need fear the police......... if you do something wrong!

The UK is without doubt the last place on earth I would live
Old Jun 12th 2010, 3:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I believe in live & let live but you can't do that in Britain. There is a vast army today of people who's job it is purely to interfere with you.

Next time you're in the UK just look around & see how many local government jobsworths are eyeballing you to see if they can ticket you for something. Then compare that with Spain, where you only need fear the police......... if you do something wrong!

The UK is without doubt the last place on earth I would live
But in Spain theres just as many jobsworths doing the same thing . I dont disrespect your opinion, but to write a country off with so much beauty and interest because of interfering civil servants is just ... well ... wrong

In reality I dont find the beaurocracy more of a nightmare in the UK than here in Spain. I try not to let it get to me here, and I dont let it get to me in the UK.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

I personally find that in Spain I am constantly relaxed, but in the UK I'm am constantly stressed out & angry. I still do the same job, deal with the same people etc so you can disregard that.

As I said earlier, live & let live. I won't interfere with you & you don't interfere with me & we can all live in harmony. That philosophy works in Spain but not in Britain.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:17 pm
Senior Moment

I personally find that in Spain I am constantly relaxed, but in the UK I'm am constantly stressed out & angry. I still do the same job, deal with the same people etc so you can disregard that.

As I said earlier, live & let live. I won't interfere with you & you don't interfere with me & we can all live in harmony. That philosophy works in Spain but not in Britain.
Mmmm ... thats lucky for you, but I dont think its true in general. Yes, I feel more relaxed a lot of the time here, but it can be just as stressful.

I dont find being in the UK stressful at all. I guess everyones lot is different, eh?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:31 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I despise the UK & really can't imagine anywhere else worse to live.
then you're an idiot.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about

You'll probably have more of an appreciation for the UK when your living in another country. The grass always appears greener on the other side , until you're standing on the other side
Old Jun 12th 2010, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
then you're an idiot.
Downtown Baghdad is lovely this time of year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.