Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP! i need some advice about moving to England

HELP! i need some advice about moving to England

Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

becsholmes is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy HELP! i need some advice about moving to England

Hello....my name is Rebecca and im wanting to move to England come September. My grandmother was born in London and therefore im eligible for Ancestory Visa. I also live in Canada and therefore am i member of the commonwealth. But...im really not sure how much money i need before i move there, and so my visa will be approved. Also, i've only done 2 years of university and therefore do not have a degree....meaning i will likely have to take a minimum wage job...or something along those lines.
do you have any advice for me?
I can't wait to move there! someone is waiting for me

Becs
Old Jun 15th 2004, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: HELP! i need some advice about moving to England

Originally posted by becsholmes
Hello....my name is Rebecca and im wanting to move to England come September. My grandmother was born in London and therefore im eligible for Ancestory Visa. I also live in Canada and therefore am i member of the commonwealth. But...im really not sure how much money i need before i move there, and so my visa will be approved. Also, i've only done 2 years of university and therefore do not have a degree....meaning i will likely have to take a minimum wage job...or something along those lines.

Becs
Becs,

Welcome to the British Expats site.......lots of Brits here who can help you out I'm sure!

Well the good news is that there are loads of jobs going, in particular in London, so you won't have a problem finding work. The UK economy is very strong right now and there are lots of 'Commonwealth' people who have 'made themselves' in the UK.

Don't think you'll have to take minimum wage jobs, there are loats of opportunities in all levels of the employment market, quite different from Canada in some ways. Aim high!

If you can obtain your visa.............then that is the first step!

Your biggest concern is going to be living costs, or specifically 'rental costs', as you know London isn't cheap!

If you have a freind you can stay with, at least during your first few weeks, it would be a big bonus!
You will need to get together as much cash as you can between now and September, so start saving!

I'm sure someone else who currently lives in London can up-date you on costs etc, (I was there for work 2 years ago).

Good luck.
Old Jun 15th 2004, 6:08 am
Just Joined

hey thanks a lot! thats really good to hear....i;ve already started saving up all i can and im working 40 hour weeks, i should have a good 6000 dollars by september...its a start anyways! its awesome...though that i can get a better then minimum wage job, its impossible around here to get anything better unless you're fully qualified....
now lets just hope i can get that visa by september!

Becs!
Old Jun 15th 2004, 9:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I presume you're a Canadian citizen - living in Canada on its own is not enough for the Ancestry Visa.

Just wondering - have you considered finishing your degree before you move to England? On the Ancestry Visa you are expected to work (as far as I know) - you can only study full time after you obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain.

If you do decide to wait then there is always the risk that visa rules could change (although you may be able to apply for the visa now even if you don't plan to move there straight away - check this point in detail). However, having a degree will make you a lot more employable in the UK.

As others have posted, London has plenty of work but also high living costs. If it's not for you, then there are many other regions of the UK, most of which also have opportunities.

Definitely bring plenty of money. C$6000 won't last very long in London if you are not working.

As far as I know you can study part-time if you wish, provided you are also working. Two big providers of distance learning in the UK are the Open University and the University of London
http://www.open.ac.uk
http://www.londonexternal.ac.uk

You could also study for UK professional/trade certificates, or undertake distance learning from a Canadian university. Do bear in mind that UK qualifications may not be instantly usable when you return to Canada - it all depends. If you do finish your Canadian degree you will likely have a lot more options to build on this in the UK.

If you are going to stay more than a few years in the UK then it makes sense to stay long enough to become a naturalised British citizen. Under current Canadian law, you would not lose Canadian citizenship, but you should keep in touch with both British and Canadian developments:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk
http://www.cic.gc.ca

As a Canadian citizen living in the UK, you will be eligible to vote. You do not have to obtain Indefinite Leave to Remain or British citizenship to be eligible for this - but again the rules could change for non-British citizens in the near future.

Opening a bank account can be difficult in the UK if you are a new resident. You should start investigating this through the bank websites before you leave.

Jeremy

Becs
Old Jun 15th 2004, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Default thanks

thanks for all your advice...ya i know i should finish my degree but there is a little issue of heart vs mind...and my heart it winning out right now...i know, not the smartest, but this is what i want ....as for the ancestory visa...ya my grandma is english and i have a ton of relatives there....and i do plan to work in england, at least for a while and finish up school later...i just need a break right now, and hell im young so im gonna go for it!
i just wonder.....how hard is it to get your visa approved?

Becs
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:00 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Please do your homework carefully before coming here...

$6000 cdn is about £3000 pounds serling...

3000 pounds will last you roughly little over a month if you don't want to live in a dump or a bedsit/house share...

you're looking at the very least £1000 per month for a exceptable one bedroom apartment, so you would have to pay a months deposit minimum, might be more being you're a "tourist"

If you don't mind sharing then the costs come down. keep in mind that this is just RENT, ie a roof over your head... in the uk all utility bills are extra and so is your council tax (unless advertised as included, which is very rare)

And remember yesterday London got voted the 2nd most expensive place to live in the world (next to tokoyo)

If you live like a student as far as eating be prepared for about £40ish a week for food and drink.. going out to eat is very expensive even a basic bigmac meal is about $8 cdn

Not to mention the expensive "public" transport system.

I for one would never come here (i live in london) without a secure job waiting for meor no less than £5,000 (10k CDN) and be prepared to fail..

Many many Londoners are being forced out of London and out of the country by the spiraling out of control costs of living. It's fine to think everything will be fine.. but please be realistic, if you do your homework and still think you can manage it.. let me know and i'll buy ya a celebration drink when you're here
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:05 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by paddythepilot

Well the good news is that there are loads of jobs going, in particular in London, so you won't have a problem finding work. The UK economy is very strong right now and there are lots of 'Commonwealth' people who have 'made themselves' in the UK.

Don't think you'll have to take minimum wage jobs, there are loats of opportunities in all levels of the employment market, quite different from Canada in some ways. Aim high!
Good luck.
Tony? Mr Blair is that you?
Old Jun 15th 2004, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Default hehehe

oh trust me i know the costs of living there, i have been to london and i know just how expensive things are...i guess im not fully prepared...bu i have lived very very poor, i was a student, and i really really know how to scrimp, i plan to rent a really cheap, single room....ya it sucks, but hey i've lived like that for 2 years now, i can manage another year, i've looked into all that stuff. SUre im scared out of my mind...i mean...it seems crazy...but well, my boyfriend is there you see....:P im young, i have relatives and him to fall back on luckily, and if worse comes to worse, i can just go home...my mother is even prepared to by me a return ticket...just please dont think me foolish well i mean i guess i am slightly arent i? hehe...but ya, this just seems what im meant to do in a sense...it just seems right i will see how things go in the meantime....

you see though, what im worrying about right now, is actually getting over there...i've never done anything like this before? i mean how easy is it to get a uk visa? just how much money do they want me to get before hand? im quite worried about that....i mean i reallllly dont want to be in Canada with no one around for too much longer.... as much as i love it here, its suffocating me...im an artist...im prepared to live an artists life...POOR

thank you so much for your advice!

Becs
Old Jun 18th 2004, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Becs
No advice on visas etc, but this site is useful to new arrivals in London specifically

http://www.thegumtree.co.uk
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:41 am
Just Joined

smartwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rebecca

I was a sales Manager for a double glazing company for 5 years or so... now I'm living in Munich.

If you need money quickly with flexible hours there will be many double-glazing or direct sales companies that will give you flexible working hours to start with... and they need you there, so as long as you can breathe and talk in a sensible manner you'll get a job that very day.

If you make some appointments for them you could even become the manager... and then you could be earning up to a thousand pounds per week... but 4 pounds per hour plus bonuses isn't a bad start.

good luck