Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page > getting a spouse visa for holland for my non EU wife

getting a spouse visa for holland for my non EU wife

Closed Thread

Old Oct 30th 2002, 11:11 am
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 3
Horton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting a spouse visa for holland for my non EU wife

1st post so hello.

Im currently living in Japan with my japanese wife.
We plan to move to Holland in the next few months.
As an EU national I obviously have no problems regarding visas, work permits etc.

But the Dutch embassy in Japan have told my wife that she will have to go there on a tourist visa and after I have supported her for 3 months in Holland (and provided the necessary proof) she will issued a visa allowing her to stay permanently.

Also when I asked about her being given a work permit they said she wouldnt be granted one just because she is married to a British national & that she will have to apply for one in the same way that any Japanese would. ie. get a job offer, then prove the job could not be done by an EU national.

any ideas? as she wants to work when she gets there and I thought as a spouse of an EU resident she would be able to.
Horton is offline  
Old Oct 30th 2002, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: Ireland
Posts: 77
UDS is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid the only requirement of EU law here is that the Netherlands must not treat your wife less favourably than they would treat the Japanese wife of a Netherlands national. She has no right to an unlimied work permit unless the Japanese wife of a Netherlands citizen would get such a permit.

Have you explored whether she could become a UK national on the strength of her marriage to you? That would solve the problem.
UDS is offline  
Old Nov 16th 2002, 1:57 pm
Just Joined
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1
bmannbro is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should look here....


If you click on the flag you can get information with in different areas
and there are different country sites too if you click on the different

I, myself, am married to an EU/EEA national and
if he is working in any EU/EEA country... I and my son can
get a resident/work permit and have the same rights as an EU/EEA national.
bmannbro is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement