Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

ELT teaching in Switzerland, make ends meet?

ELT teaching in Switzerland, make ends meet?

Old Feb 26th 2017, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

baguette is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ELT teaching in Switzerland, make ends meet?

Hello,
I am interested in ELT positions in Switzerland. I have plenty of experience teaching English and will soon have my CELTA qualification, but I am worried about the cost of living. I realise it will depend on where you are, I was wondering if there is anyone here who could give me an idea on average salaries and cost of living ? I (British) wish to move with my husband (Japanese) so we would be looking for a small flat of our own. Would it be possible to make ends meet? tia
Old Feb 26th 2017, 1:45 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ELT teaching in Switzerland, make ends meet?

Originally Posted by baguette
Hello,
I am interested in ELT positions in Switzerland. I have plenty of experience teaching English and will soon have my CELTA qualification, but I am worried about the cost of living. I realise it will depend on where you are, I was wondering if there is anyone here who could give me an idea on average salaries and cost of living ? I (British) wish to move with my husband (Japanese) so we would be looking for a small flat of our own. Would it be possible to make ends meet? tia
Hi, there aren't all that many members in Switzerland and you may do well to ask on a dedicated Swiss Expat forum for answers to your questions. I worked in Switzerland decades ago and found the cost of living very expensive, even then.
Meanwhile, take a look at
Travel documents for non-EU family members - Your Europe
according to which your husband would need a Visa since he hasn't got a Residence Permit in the Schengen Area.
Hope you find a solution!
Old Feb 26th 2017, 1:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ELT teaching in Switzerland, make ends meet?

The best place to ask questions about Switzerland would be on the boards here:

English Forum Switzerland

We lived in Switzerland until last Summer, in Zug (halfway between Zurich and Lucerne) but my husband was on an expat posting, so I'm sorry that I can't really help with your questions....but although the cost of living is high, so are the salaries.

Also I found that doing grocery shopping in Aldi and Lidl was much cheaper than in the two main Swiss supermarkets, Migros and Coop. You won't even need to have a car in Switzerland as the public transportation is fantastic, even in out of the way places. OTOH petrol is cheaper in Switzerland than in neighbouring countries if you do choose to have a car.