British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   Easiest (cheap/fastest) way to get an EU passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/easiest-cheap-fastest-way-get-eu-passport-938032/)

Red Eric Apr 29th 2021 12:51 pm

Re: Easiest (cheap/fastest) way to get an EU passport

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat (Post 13000275)
Portugal and Ireland leading at the moment.

Ireland because of language and free travel.

Portugal because of nice weather and relative affordability.

I don't think Ireland would afford you any freer travel than you have from the UK, at least as long as you don't have Irish citizenship, since it's not in the Schengen Area.

Portugal is, on the other hand, so you could cross internal borders in the Schengen Area from there without (normally) passing through any border controls, even with a 3rd country passport.

Moses2013 Apr 29th 2021 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 13000542)
I don't think Ireland would afford you any freer travel than you have from the UK, at least as long as you don't have Irish citizenship, since it's not in the Schengen Area.

Portugal is, on the other hand, so you could cross internal borders in the Schengen Area from there without (normally) passing through any border controls, even with a 3rd country passport.

Free travel in Ireland is not based on citizenship but on residency: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/extra_social_welfare_benefits/free_travel.html Everyone aged 66 and over, legally resident and living permanently in the State, is entitled to the Free Travel Scheme. Some people under 66 also qualify. If you qualify for free travel, you are issued with a card that you must carry with you when using public transport. In some cases, a Free Travel Companion Card is available which allows a person to travel with the holder (if they are unable to travel alone). Free Travel Cards are non-transferable and can only be used by the named person.

Free travel is available on all State public transport (bus, rail and Dublin's LUAS service) with some exceptions.

Free travel is also available on a limited number of services operated by private bus transport companies. Private bus transport operators that have opted in to the Free Travel Scheme accept free travel cards. You should contact the Department of Social Protection to check whether your private bus operator accepts free travel cards - see 'Where to apply' below.

Red Eric Apr 29th 2021 1:26 pm

Oh, right :lol:

I completely msread that. Ignore me :o

LittleGreyCat May 1st 2021 7:44 pm

My bad.

By "free travel" I was referring to the common travel area which means I wouldn't have to jump through hoops to stay more than 90 days in any 180.
Gives an opportunity to test the waters without immediately applying for residence.

OrangeMango May 4th 2021 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 12992907)
Citizenship in most countries can only be sought after being legally resident in them for 10 years so an EU passport would not be readily available.

Rosemary

Not exactly correct. First, one needs to consider whether the country in question does allow you to be a dual citizen by naturalization. This is not the case in every country. So sunny Spain is out, same as the Netherlands. And then it's about the residency and the time frame and even language skills. In this respect, Ireland can indeed be a good choice for a British citizen.

Despite Brexit there is still free movement to Ireland, plus there is no real language barrier, - except Irish, and then Ireland allows one to be a dual citizen. Also in Ireland, I believe the time frame is 5 or 6 years, but not 10 in order to qualify for citizenship.

But as the question in this particular thread is about cheapest and fastest way, that's most likely not the case here in the option I have described.

However, it's a possible way, if one wants to retain British citizenship and adopt another citizenship of an EU country at an achievable price.

All the other "fast" options are often either investment or possibly marriage.

britishbull Aug 7th 2021 11:27 am

Compared to what we had pre-Breixt it is all a dismal mess. On Ireland, any thoughts what would happen if NI decided to join Ireland and hence EU, would free movement between the new Ireland and UK remain, as presumably it is based on free movement for those coming from NI to Ireland which as part of the UK means it has to be for all of the UK. Could always take a chance on Scotland going independent and rejoining the EU, moving there prior to that might get you a Scottish passport?

You also have to watch out for quite confiscatory tax policies in some EU countries and £/Euro exchange rate.

DXW059 Aug 7th 2021 7:03 pm

I'd say Ireland would be your best option. As British citizens you'll have very similar rights to Irish citizens from day one. No language barrier. Ireland today seems to generally be an open-minded, tolerant and very pro-European society which would likely be a good match if you are not keen on the current British government/pro-Brexit rhetoric. Citizenship in Ireland is not cheap but an Irish passport is the best EU passport to have because of the CTA (I don't bother renewing my British passport anymore, my Irish one gives me the same rights in the UK anyway).

OrangeMango Aug 21st 2021 10:37 am

Originally Posted by DXW059 (Post 13038217)
Citizenship in Ireland is not cheap but an Irish passport is the best EU passport to have because of the CTA (I don't bother renewing my British passport anymore, my Irish one gives me the same rights in the UK anyway).

Citizenship applications are never really cheap. Any government can hike the prices overnight, justify this with "in line with inflation" even if they double or triple the fees. Those who want to apply will apply. Politicians can easily mend public finances and gain among voters who feel that immigration is too much. However the latter isn't really a concern in Ireland.

The rest is agreed, Ireland is probably the best choice. There is no language barrier, the country is easy to adapt to, and people are in general easy to get along with and welcoming. The only problem you should be warned about is the seemingly endless Irish housing crisis. Especially in the Dublin area that's an issue.