Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dual UK & US citizenship

Dual UK & US citizenship

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

swingin scot is on a distinguished road
Default Dual UK & US citizenship

In about 3 years I should have dual citizenship for the UK and US. Does this mean that I can potentially live and work in any part of the EU? No plans to do this, just wondering what options will be available to me. Thanks a lot
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 11:40 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Dual UK & US citizenship

Originally posted by swingin scot
In about 3 years I should have dual citizenship for the UK and US. Does this mean that I can potentially live and work in any part of the EU? No plans to do this, just wondering what options will be available to me. Thanks a lot
Potentially, yes. There may be some small amount of red tape to deal with in some of the EU countries (after arrival), but essentially if your plans come to fruition then the world is your proverbial oyster. Best of luck.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 2:28 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by swingin scot
One tip - don't expect many Brits to find your post here under a "Europe" heading.

Many, probably most, Brits, me included, do not consider ourselves part of Europe, and suggesting otherwise is a good way to piss-off many British!
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
One tip - don't expect many Brits to find your post here under a "Europe" heading.

Many, probably most, Brits, me included, do not consider ourselves part of Europe, and suggesting otherwise is a good way to piss-off many British!

Fog in the Channel - Continent isolated.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Oct 23rd 2003 at 12:14 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Fog in the Channel - Continent isolated.
That's not a problem. There is nothing going on beyond it of either importance or interest!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

That's not a problem. There is nothing going on beyond it of either importance or interest!

Ooh, this is good. Now where are the French when you need them dammit.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:52 pm

..... Now where are the French when you need them dammit?
Never did, never will!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:11 pm

Never did, never will!

Ah Pulaski have you tired of the good things in life - wine, good cheese (not the yellow rubbery stuff they have here), l'amour, Asterix comics and a good, rousing demonstration in the street? You can't have a love-hate relationship without your other half, now can you?
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:21 am

Ah Pulaski have you tired of the good things in life - wine, .....
I'm not much for wine, though I like a good Chianti, or something from Chile.
... good cheese
I'll give you that one, though it is possible to get British Brie and Camenbert now, and the Dutch make a good range of cheeses, much more than just Edam and Gouda.
..... l'amour .....
Garlic and hairy armpits prevent any thoughts of that.
.... Asterix comics
They might as well be in Greek for all the sense they make
.... and a good, rousing demonstration in the street? ....
I don't remember reading about much in the way of demonstrations in the street in 1940. I guess they were all busy drinking wine, eating cheese, reading Asterix comics, and admiring their armpit hair!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:22 pm

I'm not much for wine, though I like a good Chianti, or something from Chile.

I'll give you that one, though it is possible to get British Brie and Camenbert now, and the Dutch make a good range of cheeses, much more than just Edam and Gouda.

Garlic and hairy armpits prevent any thoughts of that.

They might as well be in Greek for all the sense they make

I don't remember reading about much in the way of demonstrations in the street in 1940. I guess they were all busy drinking wine, eating cheese, reading Asterix comics, and admiring their armpit hair!
"I'm not much for wine"

:scared:

"though it is possible to get British Brie and Camenbert now"

Who thought that one up? They must be right up there with British Wine on the list of unnecessary creations. I mean, what would you make of a Stilton from, say, the Loire region?

"Garlic and hairy armpits prevent any thoughts of that."

Good grief man, you don't think about it, you are just carried off. Also, you are behind the times - the armpit thing went out in about 1972, and the only people who habitually smell of garlic are the lads on the rugby team - very effective in the scrum I hear. Clearly, it's time you took a field trip.

Take care on the 1940 thing or the Maquis will be after you, even if they are all 85 now. A lot of them were women and I can't guarantee that they all shave, either.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 2:32 am

.... I mean, what would you make of a Stilton from, say, the Loire region? .....
Well, it would be French, so I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, would I?
Old Oct 31st 2003, 1:18 pm

Well, it would be French, so I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, would I?

Can you touch a Stilton with a barge pole? It sounds like an event from the Highland Games.