doggie travel question

doggie travel question

Old Oct 29th 2011, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Fairley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: doggie travel question

Originally Posted by Domino
not in Spain it isnt
(for the pedants - not my part of Spain)
The previous person asked whether it was cheaper in UK or France. He/She didn't ask about Spain!
Old Oct 29th 2011, 12:29 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairley
The previous person asked whether it was cheaper in UK or France. He/She didn't ask about Spain!
Old Oct 29th 2011, 12:49 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairley
an airline that will accept dogs going back in to London from the South of France. I think the TGV to Paris is the only way of going by train with the dog. I don't believe it goes to Brussels anymore (with the car that is).
Hi, I believe Air France accepts pets, at a price, but you'd have to find an airport in the South where AF operates to London. Whereabouts are you?
You would also have to take the risk of AF striking the day you wanted to travel.
You could put your car on an overnight "Auto-train" and take a separate TGV with your dog, paying a half-price ticket for him, collect the car in Paris and then drive it to a Channel port. (But if you mean take a TGV to Paris (or Lille) and onwards to London via Eurostar, your dog won't be allowed on Eurostar...)
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:37 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

can someone tell me what information is stored on the pet passport and what does it look like?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 5:00 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennylessinindia
can someone tell me what information is stored on the pet passport and what does it look like?
Not quite sure why you need to know this, as your dog can't enter the EU without an Indian Pet Passport which must surely store the same info?
I personally don't know what a British P.P. looks like. The French equivalent contains the same sort of info as a human passport, together with the pet's chip number and corresponding document, deworming treatments, details of vaccinations, etc... signed and stamped by a Vet.
I mentioned in post # 22 that your pet's Passport will have to be validated by a EU vet when you arrive, i.e. your dog must have had everything necessary done in India before you leave. There's no knowing how long this will take in a Paris Airport, and bearing in mind the deadline between the vaccinations and treatment in India and your departure from a French port, you risk finding yourself in Calais with an invalid Passport = a visit to a vet in Calais....
Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Have you decided on your itinerary?
Old Nov 18th 2011, 4:13 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

I don't know that it must surely contain the same information, that is why I was asking.

I was just interested to know in case some jobs worth said that there was something that was on the UK one that was not shown on the Indian one, as you say forewarned is forearmed . Will have everything as needed by Defra so should not be a problem, and hopefully by the time we travel one or two other folk will have gone through with the non European passport or common sense will prevail and they will open a direct route, not holding my breath on this one given we have stalled for so long already.
Germany seems the best way as their vets at the airport at least reply to emails and seem generally helpful and Lufthansa are really helpful
Old Nov 18th 2011, 5:17 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Germany seems the best way as their vets at the airport at least reply to emails and seem generally helpful and Lufthansa are really helpful
I think you're doing the right thing here, so long as your pet will be in transit, and you reunite with him at the UK airport. If you decide to drive from Frankfurt (?), you're going to have the same problems as in France.....
I wish you a safe journey and hope you let us know how it all goes!
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:23 am
Back from India

Originally Posted by dmu
I think you're doing the right thing here, so long as your pet will be in transit, and you reunite with him at the UK airport. If you decide to drive from Frankfurt (?), you're going to have the same problems as in France.....
I wish you a safe journey and hope you let us know how it all goes!

Not sure what the same problems are? we plan to travel from Frankfurt to UK either by car or train

What information is shown on the pet passport?
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:32 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what the same problems are? we plan to travel from Frankfurt to UK either by car or train

I think DMU has answered this in #35 above, details of innoculations, treatments etc along with the description of the dog, all signed and stamped by the vet(s).

As i understand it these now meet a minimum international requirement, and that not every vet may be approved (licenced?) to record this information.

if you havent been there already try
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_passport

hth
rgds
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:46 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You would have the same problems at the German/Dutch/Belgian ferry port as in Calais....
And it's much further from Frankfurt to a ferry port than Paris to Calais, so the deadline has even less chance of being met.
If you let us know what your Indian Pet Passport shows, we can tell you if anything's missing. I don't fancy giving the list of all the annual compulsory French vaccinations (which I presume are the same all over Europe)...
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:18 am
Back from India

Originally Posted by dmu
You would have the same problems at the German/Dutch/Belgian ferry port as in Calais....
And it's much further from Frankfurt to a ferry port than Paris to Calais, so the deadline has even less chance of being met.
If you let us know what your Indian Pet Passport shows, we can tell you if anything's missing. I don't fancy giving the list of all the annual compulsory French vaccinations (which I presume are the same all over Europe)...
We do not have a pet passport here just have to show rabies every year. But for travel so far we have chipped vaccinated one month wait then blood titre approved UK lab and waited more than 3 months. we will have by the time we travel re - vaccinated again to meet the strict Indian one a year scheme! By the time we travel will only need to de worm and aware of the 24 - 48 hour window ( and that this may go to 5 days or be abolished) Can do that as we leave and can meet the 24 -48 hours limited at calais. he has lepto and parvo every year but do not think that is needed on the EU certificate.

Assume if we have the Official Veterinary Certificate completed correctly we should be OK, just trying to make sure we do not come up against anything that is not clear on the Defra site and someone then says "well that was obvious" Thanks
Old Nov 19th 2011, 12:24 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://www.ville-pont-audemer.fr/en-...ion-europeenne

If you're still contemplating passing through France, this is the first result of a google search. Take no notice of the town's name, the info is applicable.
Under 'Entrée en France d'un chat...." you can click on "certificat sanitaire" which should tell you what document, signed by an official Vet in your country, is required at the French Customs, accompanied by the vaccination certificates.
A bit further down, under "Où s'adresser", you've got a tel. no. or you can contact the Douane (Customs) by clicking on "formulaire". Don't bother this weekend, as the site is being maintained.
The French Douane will have all the necessary info. Whatever changes there are next year within the EU, you've still got to comply with the regulations governing the "admission into France of a pet coming from a non-EU country". Have you contacted your nearest French Consulate/Embassy?
This may seem a silly question, but you are returning to the UK for good, aren't you? Not simply for a holiday?
P.S. In addition to Parvo and Lepto, my dog is vaccinated against distemper, Rubarth hepatitis and kennel cough (?). Not rabies since he doesn't travel with us.

Last edited by dmu; Nov 19th 2011 at 12:29 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:46 am
Back from India

[ Have you contacted your nearest French Consulate/Embassy?
This may seem a silly question, but you are returning to the UK for good, aren't you? Not simply for a holiday?
[/QUOTE]

French embassy were as much help as Air France!

Plan is to come back for good, well as I said when I came here for the foreseeable future!!

Thanks for the vaccination information.

France seems as Germany for the requirements. Thanks.