Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bulgaria Planning Procedure

Bulgaria Planning Procedure

Old Oct 27th 2013, 8:23 am
Banned

Uncle_Granada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bulgaria Planning Procedure

Response from an architect when asked why the fee for plans for the land was likely to be the same as the plans for the house (which is not being extended):

1.Geodesy and vertical planing - this is a digital picture of the relief of the terrain and the house on it, and a plan how the land have to be modeled to make the rain (and other) water to go away from the body of the house. I could not begin the architectural
project without geodesy picture

2.Geology and hydrological study - this is a study for the structure of the land - soundings; it is needed for the construction plans, to calculate the loads of the house and to ensure the house for earthquakes. The new norms for this are completely different of these in 1967. [when the houe was built]

3. Project for security of work - this is a formal project, but the municipality want it; this is a plan how the machines during the building process have to work

4. Fire protection and safety project - this project is again a little formal but they (the municipality) want it

5. Garden design - a plan for the garden and the types of plants you will plant. You are not obliged to realize this project, but the municipality wants it (again).

6. Report of correspondence of energy efficiency project - again a formal project - this is a report made from licensed firm, making a valuation of the project for "Energy efficiency (Heating and ventilation)" - this project is a part of the main projects based on sq.m.

I recognise that this could simply be an architect making work but if it is representative of what is now required (as opposed to what is actually done) in Bulgaria today then they can close up shop now. The fees proposed for a simple renovation are more than half the cost of the property which from my inspection looks very sound and dry. The really scary thing is when the authorities decide they need plans like this for properties which are complete but do not have proper planning permission. My guess is this would apply to most of the properties built and renovated since 2007.

I will be checking out the requirements and if they prove correct I'll be looking for another country in which to live.
Old Nov 9th 2013, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

ivo_p_ivanov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bulgaria Planning Procedure

Uncle_Granada dont be startled by all the paperwork and requirements, Bulgaria indeed from point of view of bureaucratic stuff is still in the middle ages makes you feel like visiting the planet Vogosfere /the Vogons planet from the "Galactic hitchikers guide" book by the good old Douglas Adams/, but the key is you find a local Bulgarian agent acquinted with the matter, with less than 1000 pounds you will get a planning permit for a house or anything you will get it easily legalised and conformed to any law within few weeks time.

p.s: I am not offering my services here I just know things happen this way in Bulgaria
Old Nov 9th 2013, 6:54 pm
Banned

Uncle_Granada is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not startled by the paperwork, indeed it is not nearly as much more than is required in the UK as some would suggest. What is astonishing me is the complete denial of the need for a Technical Passport which is looming for every property owner in Bulgaria. In the past week I have been told by two major estate agencies and a solicitor that a technical passport is not necessary for an old house - only new houses.

Further research suggests to me that the architect was factoring in the cost of complying with this legislation without explaining the necessity. I take your point about finding a good local agent, however, in this area there is no English-speaking architect or solicitor, indeed there is no architect, neither is there an estate agent. There is, at least one agent who has no formal qualification and, therefore, should he make a mistake there would be no point in pursuing him.

I would have every confidence in instructing a qualified professional from another area if I were able to find one who properly understands the law and does not take short-cuts. So far, I have had solicitors mis-describing the role of the notary, advising the need for a company to be formed; estate agents denying the existence of the geodesic and planning legislation and both telling me planning permission is not required for work which clearly does require permission.

Clearly, I have particular problem caused by my lack of Bulgarian but it is not the Bulgarians alone who are at fault since I have spoken to and corresponded with, so called, estate agents based in the UK who claim to have thousands of property listings in Bulgaria and they, more than most claiming I have no need of a solicitor never mind minor details like planning permission.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

ivo_p_ivanov is an unknown quantity at this point

The latest absurdity announced on the Bulgarian news last night was that houses built without a planning permit built up til the year 2003 were to be demolished if a claim for legalising it was not filed before the end of this month(November)! Imagine this! they come up with such news and draw a deadline for complying with it merely few weeks after it being announced!!! /for the foreign observer I must say many buildings in Bulgaria are built this way, without architectural plan approved, just built and that's it, (not to mention 99% of the gipsies' houses are exactly falling straight into this cathegory)/... the absurd situation isnt ending with this, the news guy then followed that this wouldn't be affecting houses built prior of 2001, so a childish calculation suggests actually this new "law" affects in fact only illegal housing built only between 2001-2003, I really wonder why exactly this time span is being affected? but then, there is no point finding logic into this... it is just nonsense... I would rather suspect some of the ruling polititians wants to take revenge on someone of his opponents/now being in opposition/ knowing the property of the other is build during this exact time period 2001-2003 and creating this law just in order to have the legal right to demolish his residence, I wont be surprised at all if this is the case....

-thats why I suggest you find someone local who is friend or related to the representatives of your local council so they pass and approve your plans... but if you are saying it is hard to find such person then, I don't know, it must be an area or village under the administration of another bigger town so you must search for the needed person there.

Last edited by ivo_p_ivanov; Nov 13th 2013 at 6:26 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 10:07 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats unfortunately not a situation thats just in Bulgaria. In Spain they started invoking old laws about property built near the coastline, and started to demolish them even though some were 100 years old or so.