Reload this Page >

Broadband Connection In Marbella

Broadband Connection In Marbella

Old Jun 3rd 2004, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

chris-marbella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broadband Connection In Marbella

hi all,

i will shortly be moving to marbella, and will need a broadband connection. i am informed that it is widespread there so it should not be an issue, my concern is with which company i should use? do i go for telefonica or someone else?

also will my broadband modem from the UK work there or do i need to get one issued from the spanish supplier?

many thanks

chris
Old Jun 4th 2004, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broadband Connection In Marbella

I wouldn't take that as fact, there are some places that haven't got broadband in Marbella, and some of the new suburbs haven't even got telphones and the waiting list is very long in some places. I live between Ojen and Marbella, and just got it, but when I was in telphonicas office, I know some in Calahonda, and some surburbs of Marbella were having problems.

Before you rent check that you can get it by an agent if you can even if there is a telphone line in place.

I can't answer the techo question about the modem, might be easier to use telephonicas so there's less problems, famous last words

Originally posted by chris-marbella
hi all,

i will shortly be moving to marbella, and will need a broadband connection. i am informed that it is widespread there so it should not be an issue, my concern is with which company i should use? do i go for telefonica or someone else?

also will my broadband modem from the UK work there or do i need to get one issued from the spanish supplier?

many thanks

chris
Old Jun 5th 2004, 12:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Like dolphingirl said, ask an agent, they advertise in the sur paper. they seem to have more clout with telefonica.
I have it but my mate who lives just up the road cant get it. so you have 50 / 50 chance even in the covered areas.
Telefonica give routers instead of modems, free now i think, doh just after i paid 200€ for mine.
If you have another supplier, you will still have to go through the divine telefonica service with a smile, if there is a problem. Did i say if ???.
When i first got mine, it broke down 2 or 3 times, after pratting about for a few days saying an engineer would call, they found out that it had been switched off at their end.
Also telefonica are prone to closing your account and selling your number to another customer if you owe them money, and you only find out when you query why the phones not working.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I asked for a second line, and the Agent gave me the number, then later told me the engineer couldn't be bothered to fit it. Still havent got it.

Originally posted by jdr
Like dolphingirl said, ask an agent, they advertise in the sur paper. they seem to have more clout with telefonica.
I have it but my mate who lives just up the road cant get it. so you have 50 / 50 chance even in the covered areas.
Telefonica give routers instead of modems, free now i think, doh just after i paid 200€ for mine.
If you have another supplier, you will still have to go through the divine telefonica service with a smile, if there is a problem. Did i say if ???.
When i first got mine, it broke down 2 or 3 times, after pratting about for a few days saying an engineer would call, they found out that it had been switched off at their end.
Also telefonica are prone to closing your account and selling your number to another customer if you owe them money, and you only find out when you query why the phones not working.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 6:19 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mercedes
I asked for a second line, and the Agent gave me the number, then later told me the engineer couldn't be bothered to fit it. Still havent got it.
Little darlings aint they
Old Jun 6th 2004, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Was it my imagination or did I hear on the local news that Telefónica is going to upgrade its basic ADSL service from 256 Kbps to 512 Kbps at no extra charge?

Mine is still crawling along at 256 but if anyone else heard this I would be grateful to know for sure.

If this is true I suppose they should be given credit for it but there are people living only a few hundred metres from me who can't even get a telephone of any sort let alone broadband!