Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Beginning to research US to UK move

Beginning to research US to UK move

Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

violet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Beginning to research US to UK move

Hello! My husband and I are beginning to research a move to the UK from the US. I would appreciate any and all input.

Here are some details about us and some questions we have.

My husband is a Slovak national but has been in the US since 1991. Slovakia is set to become a member of the EU this year.

One of the things we would like to know is does he need any special paperwork as a EU citizen to live in the UK? Or do they just use his passport?

I am a US citizen and how does the fact that I am married to a EU citizen affect my status?

Will I be able to get a job w/o a visa?

Will I qualify for healthcare? Will my husband?

What resources would you reccommend for jobhunting? I have a backround in international logistics and export, transport of hazardous materials, and speak Spanish (latin american). My husband, we think, would work as a self-employed handyman.

And what resources would you reccommend for housing?

We also hope to bring our two dogs with us-any advice?

Anything we might have missed or any advice you would want to pass on?

Thanks!

Violet
Old Feb 12th 2004, 6:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

EU citizens can work anywhere in the EU, US citizen will prob need a visa to get into England to live let alone work, and dont put your nail scissors in your hand luggage... or they will deport you....
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:33 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

You'll need a visa based on your marriage to an EU citizen. However marrying an EU citizen doesn't give you carte blanche to work all over the place. You'd be limited to the country of his citizenship. He on the other hand isn't limited in that way.

Healthcare wise it varies.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 7:35 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginning to research US to UK move

Originally posted by violet
We also hope to bring our two dogs with us-any advice?

Very stringent requirements to bring your dogs with you. Check with the UK department. I think it's MAFF that deals with that. Failure to comply will render them in quarentine for 6 months.
Old Feb 12th 2004, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

XXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant future

Suggest you write to your nearest UK Consul/Embassy in the US for information

Shipping Companies may have vacancies for people who can speak spanish and you may not have trouble getting a job but the wages in the shipping industry can be low . These companies tend to be situated in the city centres of places like London,Bristol,Liverpool,Manchester ie old port/dock centres or near large airports Heathrow etc

You will not be eligible for cheap subsidised council housing and I assume you will not be buying - this leaves private house rental . Search the internet for 'estate agents' and get an idea of what is on offer and the prices - usually for a house the minimum rental period is 6 or 12 months

To be eligible for medical services you need to contribute to the UK social security system - usually via a tax on salary called National Insurance contributions - there will be a period of time before you become eligible for free medical treatment

Or claim you are a Democrat and ask for political asylum - thats if you want to spend 12 months in an old military camp deep in the countryside all at the taxpayers expense :scared:

Good luck
Old Feb 12th 2004, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

XXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant futureXXPEBXX has a brilliant future

Another thought

If your husband - handyman - is not a qualified electrician/plumber etc then he could find work perhaps as a self employed garden tidier / lawn cutter
( I do not mean a garden designer ! )

Many people are now employing someone to cut the lawn and tidy the garden - retired people or couples who both work all day . On the estate where I live many 'ordinary' people employ someone and pay 10/15 GBP for an hour or half-hours work per week - not just the wealthy anymore

He would have to buy a lawn mower and advertise in a local newspaper and perhaps if he was lucky build up a 'round' of jobs

Cheers

Old Feb 12th 2004, 10:24 pm
C.G.D.S

Originally posted by XXPEBXX
To be eligible for medical services you need to contribute to the UK social security system - usually via a tax on salary called National Insurance contributions - there will be a period of time before you become eligible for free medical treatment
The NHS is nothing to do with Natl Insurance. It's wholly funded by the tax payer. The Natl Ins is for benefits like state pensions, disability, unemployment etc.,

The NHS is residence based.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 3:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by violet
Hello! My husband and I are beginning to research a move to the UK from the US. I would appreciate any and all input. .....
You have made one major mistake already ..... The UK is not part of Europe!

There is "Europe" and there is the "UK", the two are different, and separate. Going into a pub in the UK, standing on a chair, and announcing in a loud voice "The UK is part of Europe!" is a very effective way to start a fight!

And no, I am not entirely joking.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 8:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski

There is "Europe" and there is the "UK", the two are different, and separate. Going into a pub in the UK, standing on a chair, and announcing in a loud voice "The UK is part of Europe!" is a very effective way to start a fight!

And no, I am not entirely joking.
Depends what pub, what night, and what accent you say it in....in fact that applies to anything you say standing on a chair...unless of course you are a lap dancer...
Old Feb 15th 2004, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

violet is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I have a couple things I wanted to add:

I’m not sure how I offended anyone as I specifically said a US to UK move. I didn’t mention Europe at all, only the EU which the UK is a member of.

To expand on my husband’s skillset, as I don’t think handyman is the right word, he’s the kind of guy you call when you want to remodel your kitchen and bathroom. He has extensive experience and has worked in multimillion dollar homes (so he’s polite, professional, clean, and works hard). When we were in London, from some conversations we had with people, we got the impression someone like my husband would be in demand. It appears good contractors are hard to find no matter where you live.

As for me, health care is a concern b/c I have asthma and I can’t go without some access to medical care. So thanks, for your answers there. I guess I would have to find a private policy or something.

Either way, before we make a firm decision we will be going back to the UK for another visit.

Violet
Old Feb 19th 2004, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

gerryt is an unknown quantity at this point

About the dogs

The dogs will have to have pets passports basically blood tests and rabies vaccinations

find the details here
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar.../factsheet.htm

or else they'll have 6 months in quarantine

Good Luck
Old Feb 19th 2004, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

gerryt is an unknown quantity at this point

About the dogs

The dogs will have to have pets passports basically blood tests and rabies vaccinations

find the details here
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar.../factsheet.htm

or else they'll have 6 months in quarantine

Good Luck
Old Feb 19th 2004, 6:22 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
Why have they moved it?
Old Feb 19th 2004, 6:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

also Violet, Britain will not be opening their doors right away to the nationals of new member states of the EU.

Only Ireland as it stands will be doing so.
Old Feb 19th 2004, 7:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally posted by manc1976
Why have they moved it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.