Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Barcelona / Hamburg / Amsterdam / Rome - Opinions Request!

Barcelona / Hamburg / Amsterdam / Rome - Opinions Request!

Old Jul 9th 2011, 5:48 pm
Lib
Just Joined

Lib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barcelona / Hamburg / Amsterdam / Rome - Opinions Request!

Hello All:

I currently live in the UK and am looking to move to Barcelona, Hamburg, Amsterdam or Rome. I will most probably be making a blind move, thats why i would really appreciate your comments! Out of the four places, i have only been to Barcelona (5 days only) and thought it was brilliant

I am interested to hear about cost of living and jobs especially.

Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barcelona / Hamburg / Amsterdam / Rome - Opinions Request!

Well, Ive been to three of them, but I wouldnt make a life changing moved based on that!

Have you done any research on the cities?
Do you have to work?
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Now ,
that was a brave question , I note you did not yet mention Bucharest , Sofia or Belgrade or many others , EU or not ;
I don't expect you'll receieve much guidance here , as the subject matter is just too complex , to discuss in a few short postings .
Good Luck , anyway !
Old Jul 10th 2011, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Azarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud ofAzarel has much to be proud of

Every city has enough positives/advantages to convince enough people to live there - otherwise they'd still be villages.

Will you be looking for work or living off savings/other income?
Do you have a family?
What are your primary motives for moving?
What are your hobbies/interests?
What are your weather preferences?
Are you east-going and laid-back, or punctual and a stickler for details?

The answers to all these things and more could make a huge difference in deciding your ideal city.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:26 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lib
Hello All:

I currently live in the UK and am looking to move to Barcelona, Hamburg, Amsterdam or Rome. I will most probably be making a blind move, thats why i would really appreciate your comments! Out of the four places, i have only been to Barcelona (5 days only) and thought it was brilliant

I am interested to hear about cost of living and jobs especially.

Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks!
You haven't given yur reason(s) for such a move - law or mafia getting close

There must be a reason for choosing 3 ports out of the 4, but as suggested - why restrict yourself to those locations when there are many other great places in the Eu for you to spend time in.

Jobs - well if you need one then you will need to be financially independent because all countries have unemployment problems - parts of Spain have up to 40% in the 20 - 40 age group. Italy is about the same.

Cost of living is probably better in Spain and Italy compared with the others, but like all International Cities (which all those listed are) they will be expensive to live in the centre. Its only better when living outside in more "local" areas.

Whatever you do enjoy yourself, learn alot and when you are my age you can sit back and pass on those experiences to others about to do the same

rgds
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Actually , in my current experiences , what with the madness called the Euro , Barcelona is now not particularly cheaper , if cheaper at all , than many a German city , or Bruxelles , Antwerp , Austria etc .
Italy , I think is more expensive still , especially Milan and Rome .
Oh , bring back the good old days when we had pesetas and lire and those used to devalue weekly , so that sterling and D-Mark ensured that you got some value for your money .