Austria?

Reply

Old Dec 17th 2017, 7:37 pm
  #16  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,411
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by Richard8655 View Post
I wonder if the recent right-wing election in Austria might impact many of our movement plans, especially those looking to Austria. Apparently this new coalition government includes strong anti-immigrant elements, and that could affect soon-to-be-outside-EU UK.

Bavaria still has much sentiment for me from my past visits, and the scenery of Bad Reichenhall, Berchtesgaden, and Konigsee just across the border from Salzburg is still most appealing. But I have to admit we’ve never investigated Austrian towns and villages outside of Salzburg, as you mention. And we should (assuming we’ll still have some sort of path to migrate per just mentioned events).
I think pretty clear from what I have red and friends in Austria and Eastern Europe the anti-immigration element is not directed to immigrants from the West. who knows about Brexit but by all accounts there will be a several year transition agreement. I have lived in Switzerland and the Midwest, I dare say the climate in Austria in summer and winter will be quite nicer than Midwest. The climate in Midwest I found in summer and winter quite disagreeable.

I would have thought cost of living quite high in Austria ?
morpeth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th 2017, 7:48 pm
  #17  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 352
Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
I think pretty clear from what I have red and friends in Austria and Eastern Europe the anti-immigration element is not directed to immigrants from the West. who knows about Brexit but by all accounts there will be a several year transition agreement. I have lived in Switzerland and the Midwest, I dare say the climate in Austria in summer and winter will be quite nicer than Midwest. The climate in Midwest I found in summer and winter quite disagreeable.

I would have thought cost of living quite high in Austria ?
That’s what I understand too. The recent refugee stream through Austria and Germany is apparently what contributed to the rise of righting elements in Austria. Merkel in Germnay seems to be facing the same pressures. But you’re right, who knows how this will develop for Brits post-Brexit. But for sure not nearly as severe as for non-European citizens.

Absolutely right about Midwest climate. Depressingly cold and harsh. It sounds like Austrian and Bavarian Alps climate is cold but not as miserably so. Also am not sure about the cost of living factor.
Richard8655 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th 2017, 7:56 pm
  #18  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,411
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by Richard8655 View Post
That’s what I understand too. The recent refugee stream through Austria and Germany is apparently what contributed to the rise of righting elements in Austria. Merkel in Germnay seems to be facing the same pressures. But you’re right, who knows how this will develop for Brits post-Brexit. But for sure not nearly as severe as for non-European citizens.

Absolutely right about Midwest climate. Depressingly cold and harsh. It sounds like Austrian and Bavarian Alps climate is cold but but not as miserably so.
The humidity and dampness of Midwest summers and winters, I was in Ohio don't know Chicago well, were never enjoyable. I have lived in way North Idaho ( gorgeous area) and Switzerland - both beat the Midwest weather by far, not to mention lifestyle.

Merkel facing some criticism but is too entrenched for anyone to do anything it seems. Looking at the two party coalition in Austria, one party states it is quite clearly pro-EU, just against the extremes of illegal immigration and the quite understandable desire to maintain Austrian culture as long as it can before demographics catch up. So I really don't see anything except some more administrative paperwork after March 2019- and from what I understand the Brexit negotiations so far have discussed people already resident up March 2019 will keep the same rights after 2019.
morpeth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th 2017, 8:06 pm
  #19  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,114
HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by Richard8655 View Post
Yes, thanks, good point. But I’m really talking about moving after Match, 2019 or later (based on our plans). That seems to be the unknown.
All the public information we have are as follows -

1) UK seeks to leave the EU in March 2019
2) UK is party to the EU budget until 2020
3) If the UK is paying into the EU pot, the UK may just as well staying within the EU framework but not as a member of the EU as part of the transitional agreement until 2020.
4) The UK can asked for a longer transitional agreement with the EU. However, this will mean that the UK will be part of the EU framework for longer - paying into the EU pot as well as agreeing to the 4 freedoms.
5) How long the UK will be part of the transitional agreement with the EU mainly depended on how much money the EU is asking the UK to pay.

If I am you and still wishes to move to Austria, I will do this ASAP - at lease before March 2019. You can either wait or you will need to change your plans!
HKG3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th 2017, 8:15 pm
  #20  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,114
HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
I think pretty clear from what I have red and friends in Austria and Eastern Europe the anti-immigration element is not directed to immigrants from the West. who knows about Brexit but by all accounts there will be a several year transition agreement. I have lived in Switzerland and the Midwest, I dare say the climate in Austria in summer and winter will be quite nicer than Midwest. The climate in Midwest I found in summer and winter quite disagreeable.

I would have thought cost of living quite high in Austria ?
I think pretty clear from what I have red and friends in Austria and Eastern Europe the anti-immigration element is not directed to immigrants from the West. - Don't think you will get many Brits living in Poland -

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...iming-benefits

At the British Polish Chamber of Commerce in Warsaw, chief adviser Michael Dembinski, an Anglo-Pole, clearly thought the idea absurd. “In all my 17 years of living in Poland, I can honestly say I’ve never heard of a UK citizen claiming any benefit from the Polish state,” he said.

Yet according to the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy in Warsaw, one of the 4,500 Britons currently registered as living in Poland is indeed claiming unemployment benefit (another Briton listed in Guardian research as claiming benefits may have since found a job or left the country). The claimant (the ministry confirmed the person is male) receives 823.60 złoty a month for the first three months and 646.70 złoty for the next three months. Then: nic (nothing) – unless he lives in an area with an unemployment rate of more than 150% of the national average of 11.5%, in which case he can receive the benefit for 12 months

There were 4,500 Brits in Poland in 2015 while 831,000 Poles lived in the UK in the same period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poles_...United_Kingdom
HKG3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th 2017, 8:18 pm
  #21  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,114
HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
The humidity and dampness of Midwest summers and winters, I was in Ohio don't know Chicago well, were never enjoyable. I have lived in way North Idaho ( gorgeous area) and Switzerland - both beat the Midwest weather by far, not to mention lifestyle.

Merkel facing some criticism but is too entrenched for anyone to do anything it seems. Looking at the two party coalition in Austria, one party states it is quite clearly pro-EU, just against the extremes of illegal immigration and the quite understandable desire to maintain Austrian culture as long as it can before demographics catch up. So I really don't see anything except some more administrative paperwork after March 2019- and from what I understand the Brexit negotiations so far have discussed people already resident up March 2019 will keep the same rights after 2019.
from what I understand the Brexit negotiations so far have discussed people already resident up March 2019 will keep the same rights after 2019. - from my understanding, only if the Brit stayed at the EU state he lived in before Brexit. For example, if the OP, as a Brit, move to Austria by March 2019, his rights in Austria will be protected. However if he/she moves to another EU country (for example Germany), that protection will end.
HKG3 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th 2017, 9:18 pm
  #22  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,411
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by HKG3 View Post
from what I understand the Brexit negotiations so far have discussed people already resident up March 2019 will keep the same rights after 2019. - from my understanding, only if the Brit stayed at the EU state he lived in before Brexit. For example, if the OP, as a Brit, move to Austria by March 2019, his rights in Austria will be protected. However if he/she moves to another EU country (for example Germany), that protection will end.
Let us be clear, the negotiations have not been concluded, and a lot is possible, What we know so far :

1. Strong probability there will be a transitional period to effect Brexit, whether 1 year or 8 years no one knows.
2. There has been continue discussion about protecting rights of EU citizens in the UK and UK citizens in Europe , first those already resident prior to March 2019. SO yes it is prudent to move before then.
3. What type of arrangement is in place after Brexit depends whether it ends up a "soft" or "hard" Brexit, will it be an arrangement like Norway's ? Will somehow Britain withdraw form leaving ? ( unlikely but possible) No one knows and saying definitively what will be situation is just guesswork at this point. Most likely there will be avenues to acquire residency, whether form a post-Brexit arrangement OR existing avenues for non-EU migrants/investors perhaps modified. Anyone who says definitively what the situation will be , is being extremely misleading to say the least : simply no one knows.
morpeth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th 2017, 9:58 pm
  #23  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 352
Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
The humidity and dampness of Midwest summers and winters, I was in Ohio don't know Chicago well, were never enjoyable. I have lived in way North Idaho ( gorgeous area) and Switzerland - both beat the Midwest weather by far, not to mention lifestyle.
Actually life in Chicago is not quite so bad as one may think, and is quite enjoyable. The winter is severe, yes, but the lake, parks, trails, architecture, ethnic neighborhoods, and culture are wonderful.

Originally Posted by HKG3 View Post

If I am you and still wishes to move to Austria, I will do this ASAP - at lease before March 2019. You can either wait or you will need to change your plans!
Yes, good point. But sometimes best schedules don’t always fit reality. We’ll have to take our chances after March, 2019. Germany is actually of a bit more interest, but it could be the same unknown situation.

Last edited by Richard8655; Dec 17th 2017 at 10:01 pm.
Richard8655 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 4:20 am
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: In the middle of the continent
Posts: 1,361
Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Why don't you check Austrian immigration rules for Americans? I assume that after Brexit UK citizens will likely fall under the same rules.
Assanah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 4:30 am
  #25  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 352
Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Why don't you check Austrian immigration rules for Americans? I assume that after Brexit UK citizens will likely fall under the same rules.
According to others here, UK citizens would have few difficulties not under the same rules as non-EU citizens. All still unknown.
Richard8655 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 11:38 am
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,411
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by Richard8655 View Post
Actually life in Chicago is not quite so bad as one may think, and is quite enjoyable. The winter is severe, yes, but the lake, parks, trails, architecture, ethnic neighborhoods, and culture are wonderful.



Yes, good point. But sometimes best schedules don’t always fit reality. We’ll have to take our chances after March, 2019. Germany is actually of a bit more interest, but it could be the same unknown situation.
I have visited Chicago a few times and each trip was enjoyable. However I simply don't like the weather in the Midwest, and frankly I am not a big fan of large American cities in general after having lived in Europe. I prefer the smaller towns in USA in areas of beautiful surroundings.

Yes I think moving before March 2019 will make things much easier for the long run, but I do think some accommodation will be made between Britain and the EU by that date of some sort.
morpeth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 3:08 pm
  #27  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: In the middle of the continent
Posts: 1,361
Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post

Yes I think moving before March 2019 will make things much easier for the long run, but I do think some accommodation will be made between Britain and the EU by that date of some sort.
Maybe for people who come to work but I think for retirees every member states will make their own rules. I daresay that things will definitely change for retirees as the amount of money will be decisive. Nobody wants old people who don't work and who can't support themselves ( that includes paying for private health insurance). I am very sure that British without a sizable amount of money won't be able to retire in Austria after Brexit. Austria is rich and doesn't need the Brits to buy houses 🙄
Assanah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th 2017, 9:20 pm
  #28  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,411
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Maybe for people who come to work but I think for retirees every member states will make their own rules. I daresay that things will definitely change for retirees as the amount of money will be decisive. Nobody wants old people who don't work and who can't support themselves ( that includes paying for private health insurance). I am very sure that British without a sizable amount of money won't be able to retire in Austria after Brexit. Austria is rich and doesn't need the Brits to buy houses 🙄
Good point that after Brexit one would assume it would become more costly or difficult for a Brit to move to a place like Austria, and it does seem that there are discussions about rights of EU citizens in the UK and vice versa before 2019 have rights that will continue. Who knows at this point, safer to move now I would think.
morpeth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st 2017, 2:28 am
  #29  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 335
Thairetired2016 has much to be proud ofThairetired2016 has much to be proud ofThairetired2016 has much to be proud ofThairetired2016 has much to be proud ofThairetired2016 has much to be proud ofThairetired2016 has much to be proud ofThairetired2016 has much to be proud ofThairetired2016 has much to be proud ofThairetired2016 has much to be proud ofThairetired2016 has much to be proud ofThairetired2016 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Good point that after Brexit one would assume it would become more costly or difficult for a Brit to move to a place like Austria, and it does seem that there are discussions about rights of EU citizens in the UK and vice versa before 2019 have rights that will continue. Who knows at this point, safer to move now I would think.
And why would living in Austria become more costly after brexit?
If you can't afford it after the magic date you cannot afford it before either.
Whether you are a retiree or not, Austria doesb't care as long as you can support yourself. This applies to all countries.
I'm not interestrd what color government Austria has. As a foreign national a country's politics are not for me to criticize. I've held it this way in 50 years I have lived outside my home country (not UK).
Thairetired2016 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st 2017, 10:44 am
  #30  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 4,411
morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Austria?

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
And why would living in Austria become more costly after brexit?
If you can't afford it after the magic date you cannot afford it before either.
Whether you are a retiree or not, Austria doesb't care as long as you can support yourself. This applies to all countries.
I'm not interestrd what color government Austria has. As a foreign national a country's politics are not for me to criticize. I've held it this way in 50 years I have lived outside my home country (not UK).
More costly to apply and enter, for example for medical insurance, just as I said an assumption. There are quite a few EU countries as a non-EU citizen you just have private insurance to move, I don't know rules for Austria. I looked at two EU countries both of which required non EU citizens seeking to move to have private health insurance which for someone retirement age not always too affordable.

I agree , when in foreign country it is their business what their government is.
morpeth is offline  
Reply With Quote

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement