Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone moving or living in Bulgaria?

Anyone moving or living in Bulgaria?

Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

bargin1944 will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone moving or living in Bulgaria?

My wife and I are looking to move to Bulgaria next year.

I would like to hear of peoples experinces relating to the move and also what it is like actually living there.

Thanks,

bargin1944
Old Dec 13th 2009, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

mathewimanuel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moving or living in Bulgaria?

living here

az jiveh took, ENglish expat
actually
nie jiveh took,

that is we, My wife and I

any help just let us know

Last edited by meauxna; Dec 14th 2009 at 4:53 pm. Reason: please don't post to promote your site; review the rules for link policies
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:51 pm
Just Joined

Yes we live there.

Question away what troubles you?
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 9:34 am
Just Joined

bargin1944 will become famous soon enough

Hi,
thanks for your reply. We have a bungalow 18k south of Varna. We intend to move there next year. We just wanted to know your general comments, ie how are you enjoying living in Bulgaria, would you recomend to others ect.

Many thanks Barry & Gin.

P. S have a nice Christmas & a happy New Year to you.
Old Dec 23rd 2009, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Default Seasons greetings t you 2

General comments.

I am in the unpopular west, Vratsa not so many Anglichani's (english. youll hear that word alot) here.

I have heard of troubles and resentment where in Varna for instance there are even small complexs where only English speaking people live.

I would advise getting to know as many Bulgarian friends as you can and not seperating yourself or even seeing yourself as different from the Bulgarians. Be as bold as in the UK moreso because your up against a new language and maybe some prejudice and be yourself after all EU is the Lawmaker now really Bulgarians dont have a right over expats anyhow but it wont stop them trying if you let them. They are not stuffy like many British in coming around to sya hello they come around to see you for good or bad. Give you advice etc. Bygoyne of commumism they all keep watch on each other... but things are changing that really is just a old dying tradition now. Dont forget to tell them you can do things the way you like anyhow. The old communists still think they have the Party behind them in the way they act like little dictators. I had so many people moaning at me for building wrong or such. I just shout and wave or start talking fast at them in English and they disapear after a while. I guess it just my wife hates it so I get rid of them quick. If they are bossy! They do not like fighting and arguing like Brits seem to love.

Also I would say your average criminal in UK is alot more scary they like it and are proud. The crime we see here is Mafia drug running that has nothing to do with us whatsoever but what does effect us and the only problem here is extreme poverty in some cases that of course Fathers with wives and children hungry may try and steel for better lives. But if you have common sense then is it not obvious!?

Make a beeline for your neighbours and tell them the truth also that some times you want to be left alone people here are far less violent than the UK. The roads a lttle but I have not seen violence atall whe not driving. If you have a starving neighbour help them give them a loan or a job if they work well or the loan is small. They love you for that. Then it is great here. They are a humain people with human faults, like I think the UK used to be before the present overbearing Government state as it is now. The taking of peoples pensions and houses appauls me. I hate my country and the people that abide what is happening to it. But I do hope things get better there. For I feel we will never be quite at home away from the UK.

The best thing here. The Government leaves you be and their are so many houses dirt cheap, We have only the eletric man every month to pay and once in 4 years have we been visited by the immigration that was a standard procedure to open a Bulg bank account put in 100quid and pay 3 quid for a immigration status card.

We miss home terribly but meet English speaking friends once in a while and the rest of the time spend alot of time learning to speak and pointing at things in shops. Asking KAk ci Kas VAsh ,, that is What is that Called!

Again I would say just dont live in British groups and make yourself a target. Have Bulgarians equals. Find things out about the local people and dont be scared of anything. being polite does not always help you find things out.

We may sound outgoing but really we sit quietly most days with our own business. I have spent alot of time getting the Bulgarians to just leave us in peace. Expect to be looked upon with Money eyes. They are a baby capitalist country after many communistic years, and i guess it is like meeting a mentor. Its up to you how you cope with that, Small tips go along way in bars and taxis and learning Bulgarian so you can explain and talk about your circumstances. Because the BUlgs will think you have an endless supply of money that you just keeping to yourself but if you talk in their language and explain a little about your business they can start to see that you are just like them, struggling sometimes sometimes well off.

It is not easy but its worthwhile. We have a wholesome life here, we are artists and would not have a chance of a such a life in the UK that is land to build what we want we have learnt to keep chickens ducks and hope to have a cow for milk is the same price here! 80p for a litre. if you appreciate the advice you could have a look at my wifes website. http://saffronsotherworldsbymathew.b...on-john-s.html she has some cheap things like bookmarks and love lady bug and I wish you all the best. You will certainly regret it if you dont come. I hope you have a nice time. My friend says"like dogs smell fear" Just be bold even if you are scared their are plenty of sweet Bulgarians who will help you however plenty of snakes who know how to make fast bucks before you know you are paying far too much. So be scared and maybe get conned alot . Be bold and make good aquaintaince instead., the only problems here is the money . We dont see saudid crimes crime for crime sake like in the UK. Here only money crimes so even if the worst youll just loose your money. Whats new! For instance a 3 hour taxi Sofia to Vratsa 120km is £40 and we took a taxi from Luton Airport to a Hotel 5 miles away. £33. The UK is like legalized robbery!!

I assure you this country if not half as dangerous or scary as the UK. But it is more wild that is in country areas their are no police, no cameras, track roads and people get on as they please without restraint. Apparenlty their are wolves their are many wild dogs.

Well I wanted to give you as much to go on as poss. Certainly I dont want you to go home scared as I know some people have, really just intuit, and live and you be living a dream life.

God Speed your journey, here is our Bulg Blog http://saffronandmathew.blogspot.com/ we are trying to Build green! and cheap,