Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Albania Information Anyone?

Albania Information Anyone?

Old Jul 29th 2021, 5:52 am
Banned

byrek_death is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Albania Information Anyone?

Hello. I have questions about Albania. Firstly, I was told that Albania has zero crime. Yet every chart and web article says it has the highest murder, child sex slaves, drugs, guns, and terrorism in all of Europe. Twice the gun murder of America even. 10 times the murder of most European nations. So which is it?

Cost of living is said to be among the cheapest in the world. Yet I have never seen a nation with such expensive housing, food, clothes, electronics, and so on. It seems we will be homeless and hungry when I arrive. But I thought it was cheap? Which is it?

Wages in Albania are said to be high. Average wage is 50,000 Euros a month. But minimum wage is 1,000 a month. Government employees make 500 a month. Service industry, construction, and farm work pays 2,000 Euros a month. I have contacted several employers, and the most I have been offered was 150 a month. 150! Not 1,500. Not 15,000. 150! How do I pay 20,000 a month rent if I am making 150?

Hospitable and friendly is what they call Albanians. They love foreigners. In fact, you can live and eat in an Albanian's house for free! OK, again, literally ever Albanian I have talked to is rude, hostile, unfriendly, racist, and violent. I have been told that if I come to Albania, my family will die.

We have been trapped under martial law in the Philippines for nearly 2 years with no shelter and no food. Dodging death squads, bandits, and terrorists. Someone bought us tickets to Albania, since it is literally the only open nation right now. Have we gone out of the pan and into the fire?
Old Jul 29th 2021, 7:16 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Albania Information Anyone?

Originally Posted by canned_onions
Hello. I have questions about Albania. Firstly, I was told that Albania has zero crime. Yet every chart and web article says it has the highest murder, child sex slaves, drugs, guns, and terrorism in all of Europe. Twice the gun murder of America even. 10 times the murder of most European nations. So which is it?

Cost of living is said to be among the cheapest in the world. Yet I have never seen a nation with such expensive housing, food, clothes, electronics, and so on. It seems we will be homeless and hungry when I arrive. But I thought it was cheap? Which is it?

Wages in Albania are said to be high. Average wage is 50,000 Euros a month. But minimum wage is 1,000 a month. Government employees make 500 a month. Service industry, construction, and farm work pays 2,000 Euros a month. I have contacted several employers, and the most I have been offered was 150 a month. 150! Not 1,500. Not 15,000. 150! How do I pay 20,000 a month rent if I am making 150?

Hospitable and friendly is what they call Albanians. They love foreigners. In fact, you can live and eat in an Albanian's house for free! OK, again, literally ever Albanian I have talked to is rude, hostile, unfriendly, racist, and violent. I have been told that if I come to Albania, my family will die.

We have been trapped under martial law in the Philippines for nearly 2 years with no shelter and no food. Dodging death squads, bandits, and terrorists. Someone bought us tickets to Albania, since it is literally the only open nation right now. Have we gone out of the pan and into the fire?
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
This must be the first time that any one has asked about Albania on the Forum and AFAIK no one who lives there has ever contributed here.
On a general note, there are a lot of "I was told", "is/are said to be" followed by contradictory info from other sources in your post. Some one who has lived there may come along to comment. It's unclear whether you've been in the country before, or have simply met Albanians in your travels...
Some one has bought you tickets to Albania, but remember that that it isn't in the EU and you would need Visas for that country before you travel.
(If you have Irish or other EU Passports, you'd have no need of a Visa to live in the EU, but UK citizens do need a Visa now and there's usually a "minimum resources" condition for the individual countries. Check individual country forums if you decide on an EU country rather than Albania....)
Sorry I can't advise more, and would suggest contacting the Albanian Consulate in the Philippines
https://www.visahq.de/en/albania/embassy/philippines/
for reliable info.
Old Jul 29th 2021, 7:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to do a bit more research. Of course the average salary isn't €600,000 a year in Albania (if it was, we'd all be moving there). Of course it's not the only open country at the moment.

Maybe stop listening to whoever is giving you all of this 'information' and do your own research rather than relying on 'I've been told'.

At the moment we're letting this thread stay, but please stop with the inflammatory statements, it just looks like you're trying to troll and that'll get you kicked of BE pretty quickly. You're very welcome if you're a genuine member, but tone it down a bit, ta.
Old Jul 29th 2021, 9:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Someone bought us tickets to Albania, since it is literally the only open nation right now. Have we gone out of the pan and into the fire?
Apart from Australia and North Korea, most countries will allow their own citizens to return with no restrictions. Which country are you a citizen of, and why don't you go there?
Old Jul 29th 2021, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

The population of Albania is 3million and the number of Albanians living legally in Italy is 400k. They get low paid jobs in Italy as labourers or care workers.Things in Albania must be pretty tough. They have earthquakes too.
Is it easy to get a visa to stay?
This is an interesting blog.http://thebalkanista.com/2021/02/

Last edited by philat98; Jul 29th 2021 at 3:14 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 3:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
This must be the first time that any one has asked about Albania on the Forum and AFAIK no one who lives there has ever contributed here.
On a general note, there are a lot of "I was told", "is/are said to be" followed by contradictory info from other sources in your post. Some one who has lived there may come along to comment. It's unclear whether you've been in the country before, or have simply met Albanians in your travels...
Some one has bought you tickets to Albania, but remember that that it isn't in the EU and you would need Visas for that country before you travel.
(If you have Irish or other EU Passports, you'd have no need of a Visa to live in the EU, but UK citizens do need a Visa now and there's usually a "minimum resources" condition for the individual countries. Check individual country forums if you decide on an EU country rather than Albania....)
Sorry I can't advise more, and would suggest contacting the Albanian Consulate in the Philippines
for reliable info.
Thanks. Even not helping with much info, just a friendly English voice is nice. Since COVID, the world has become a million times less friendly. I often receive advice on the lines of "Just accept your death." I have kids to take care of. I can't do that. We would be dead if I gave up a year and a half ago. Well... if anyone knows anyone, please keep an ear out for me and come on here. I get free wife at the 7-11 minimart for an hour a day and always check my emails. Thanks very much.

Edit: I first came to this site reading a thread about the Balkans. So I thought I would give it a try. Also, if any of you want to know what is going down in the Philippines that is not in the news, please ask!

Last edited by byrek_death; Jul 30th 2021 at 4:30 am.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 4:16 am
Banned

Originally Posted by philat98
The population of Albania is 3million and the number of Albanians living legally in Italy is 400k. They get low paid jobs in Italy as labourers or care workers.Things in Albania must be pretty tough. They have earthquakes too.
Is it easy to get a visa to stay?
Indeed. Greece too. But I have had Albanians say none of them live in Italy or Greece, as they would die there. Yet statistics says loads are there doing menial jobs. Thank you.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

In my small mountain village there are 80 Albanians.
I have been reading the Balkanista blog. I am quite tempted with a weeks holiday on the Albanian coast. The coastal scenery looks amazing.

Last edited by philat98; Jul 30th 2021 at 8:04 am.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 8:17 am
Banned

I have been reading the Balkanista blog. I am quite tempted with a weeks holiday on the Albanian coast. The coastal scenery looks amazing.
Well, if we are still alive, I will let you know how it is. I fear that homelessness and gangsters will get us first though...
Old Jul 30th 2021, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

You sometimes find the odd couple from Germany retire to Albania and there have been some Tv shows over the years.
Although in German a lot of litter lands on the beaches and they have a real problem it seems.

Old Jul 30th 2021, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually here one in English
Old Jul 30th 2021, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Those pictures are terrible Moses. I suspect the mob is involved. Some places in Puglia are bad but not like that.
Old Jul 30th 2021, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Those pictures are terrible Moses. I suspect the mob is involved. Some places in Puglia are bad but not like that.
Yes it's a sad state. You can even see the waterways on Google here. Sure it seems some of the Hotels now clean up the beaches but it still doesn't stop the main problem.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jul 30th 2021 at 12:26 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 2:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You sometimes find the odd couple from Germany retire to Albania and there have been some Tv shows over the years.
Although in German a lot of litter lands on the beaches and they have a real problem it seems.
Leave it to the Germans to be honest about it. Great stuff. Thank you. Yeah, if I had a German pension we would probably be fine, despite the rubbish. Many Albanians (including jobs that have my CV) told me I would be thankful for 200 quid a month. Which looks like is not enough for a studio flat in any part of the country...

Edit: I saw the English one. Man. The Albanians say they are starving to death, because the gypsies will kill them if they try to take their beloved rubbish!

That google screencap is great too. Or terrible. Either way, well done. See, I just want some honesty. We are going. And we want to know what we are getting into. We are coming from the Philippines. People also say great things about this place. But we live in total filth in an abandoned factory. It's hard to find information about this country too. People say you can be a millionaire here and live on a paradise beach. Well, I have yet to see a beach. All I see is filth and millions of people living in plastic bags and cardboard shanties. And it is impossible to live like a king here on 20 quid a month. I fear the same will be in Albania.

I understand it is not the richest nation in the world, but I just want to know the truth about the place. It seems Albanians paint a fairy tale picture of their nation that is literally a fairy tale. I mean, many people visit Turkey and Morocco every year and have a blast. But no one lies and says that either is some perfect paradise.

Great posts Moses!

Last edited by byrek_death; Aug 1st 2021 at 4:03 am.
Old Aug 1st 2021, 8:02 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Leave it to the Germans to be honest about it. Great stuff. Thank you. Yeah, if I had a German pension we would probably be fine, despite the rubbish. Many Albanians (including jobs that have my CV) told me I would be thankful for 200 quid a month. Which looks like is not enough for a studio flat in any part of the country...

Edit: I saw the English one. Man. The Albanians say they are starving to death, because the gypsies will kill them if they try to take their beloved rubbish!

That google screencap is great too. Or terrible. Either way, well done. See, I just want some honesty. We are going. And we want to know what we are getting into. We are coming from the Philippines. People also say great things about this place. But we live in total filth in an abandoned factory. It's hard to find information about this country too. People say you can be a millionaire here and live on a paradise beach. Well, I have yet to see a beach. All I see is filth and millions of people living in plastic bags and cardboard shanties. And it is impossible to live like a king here on 20 quid a month. I fear the same will be in Albania.

I understand it is not the richest nation in the world, but I just want to know the truth about the place. It seems Albanians paint a fairy tale picture of their nation that is literally a fairy tale. I mean, many people visit Turkey and Morocco every year and have a blast. But no one lies and says that either is some perfect paradise.

Great posts Moses!
Sorry I've missed your hour of internet today.
It doesn't look as though any BE member has first-hand knowledge of living in Albania.
A few details which you haven't given - what Passport(s) do you all hold? Who are "we"/"family"? Will you be intending to work in Albania (or wherever)? Have you picked Albania merely because some one is giving you tickets to get there?
Have you checked the Visa requirements (Residence/Work)? Does the "we" include school-age children? A search found a private International School in Tirana, which adheres to American Common Core standards.
As Pollyana said above, if you have means for leaving the Philippines (change of destination other than Albania), why not return to your own country?
There's been a lot of comment, but no practical info on your personal situation which could help us advise or point you in the right direction.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.