Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice regarding inheritance of Polish property.

Advice regarding inheritance of Polish property.

Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

chrisharley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice regarding inheritance of Polish property.

Please can anybody advise me with a problem I am having inheriting some Polish property. The situation is this:
In May of 2006 my mother died leaving a property in Krakow to my sister & I (sole children of non-Polish citizenship). We employed solicitors in Krakow and by August 2006 all paperwork was with the judge. Nearly 2 years later the judge has still not made a decision on whether we can inherit this property. The problem seems to be this: my mother was born in Poland, emigrated to the UK in the 1960’s and became a British citizen with a British passport. The will and probate are British documents. There are no Polish documents in this case. Our solicitors have said that the judge is waiting for Polish laws to be brought in line with European laws before making a decision. Does anybody know what the current legal situation is in Poland regarding non-Polish citizens inheriting Polish estate from non-Polish owners? We may be able to arrange a meeting with the judge later on in the year. Can anybody advise us what we can do or say to influence him to make a decision? Does anybody know of other similar cases and how were these resolved?