wrong licence applied for

Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute
Angry wrong licence applied for

Hi all, some of you will know that my hubby applied for his electrical licence in March this year in Adelaide and unfortunatly he was chosen for a telephone exam which he failed.
I have been busy today sorting out his paper work and stat dec so that he can re apply. Anyhoo when i checked the copy of the original application form (which we've only just got from TRA adelaide) i noticed that the licence applied for was Electrical mechanic as advised by our "advisor". But the trade recognition that was done while still in England was for a general electrician. Do you think i should complain to tra as we were given the wrong advise as to which licence to apply for, as it's now gonna cost almost 300 dollars to re apply.
Also he should re apply as a general electrician should't he?
What do you guys think?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all
Default Re: wrong licence applied for

Hello,

If your already in the country, then the application will be for ARTC, for either "mechanic or Fitter".

For immigration it would be general electrician, however it would fall into one of the two brackets in the ARTC system, this is how general electrician is seperated here.

Regards

Kevin
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

jwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond reputejwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kevin S
Hello,

If your already in the country, then the application will be for ARTC, for either "mechanic or Fitter".

For immigration it would be general electrician, however it would fall into one of the two brackets in the ARTC system, this is how general electrician is seperated here.

Regards

Kevin
so i can't put general electrician on the form then?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello,

if you look at the form, it lists what you are allowed to put, there is mechanic or fitter(two types).

what type of Electrics are you chasing, ie, maintenance or installation?

regards

Kevin
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello,

if you look at the form, it lists what you are allowed to put, there is mechanic or fitter(two types).

what type of Electrics are you chasing, ie, maintenance or installation?

regards

Kevin
installation i think, hubby's worked oh house bashing and for local housing corporations whilst in the uk
Thanks Jackie
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

andywilson19 is an unknown quantity at this point

from what I have been told and learned if your hubby failed the telephone exam then they normally ask him to do a practical exam which he can do at peer in adelaide but to get his licence he will need to do his wiring regs course too which he also can do at peer
the general electrcian was for migration purpose and the electrical mechanic/fitter is for the actuall licence

all the best for the artc and wiring regs

Andy
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Andy
he has already completed his wiring regs at peer. He failed the telephone exam and now has to re apply for the licence.
So correct me if i am wrong but he will have to sit a practical exam and not another telephone exam.
Do you have any idea what's involved in the practical.
Sorry if i sound a bit thick but it's more money if he fails again.
Thanks Jackie
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

jwood;

he must apply for the mechanics license in some states the fitter Cannot work on mains installations or repairs, so meaning his work will be checked all the time. however the Mechanics license covers him for all work, once he gets the A class license he may work Unsupervised on any type of electrical equipment.

all the best arthur
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Jackie,

1) what visa did you enter the country under

2) Was it the ARTC cert he applied for, when they called for an exam, if so they normally ask for a practical to be taken on failure of phone call.

3) if it was the ARTC cert, then unless this is issued it will be impossible to get a licence in any state.

Sorry to be the voice of doom, Have you received the result letter from them which, according to their rules will explain what took place and your rights to proceed with which ever action you chose.

Regards

Kevin
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin S;

thats a very good reply mate, if i was the lady i would be asking why they gave him a exam for telecommunications seeming he applied for electrical ???
also i would be appealing right away
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Jackie,

1) what visa did you enter the country under

2) Was it the ARTC cert he applied for, when they called for an exam, if so they normally ask for a practical to be taken on failure of phone call.

3) if it was the ARTC cert, then unless this is issued it will be impossible to get a licence in any state.

Sorry to be the voice of doom, Have you received the result letter from them which, according to their rules will explain what took place and your rights to proceed with which ever action you chose.

Regards

Kevin
hi Kevin
We have 136 permanant visa
It was artc
a friend of ours had to take the telephone exam 3 times, he was told on the 3rd time if he failed he wouldn't be able to re apply again. They never mentioned anything about a practical to him. He passed 3rd time at peer with the tutors help.That was in march so hopefully they are doing the practical after 1st time fail now. Hubby would be ok at the practical he reckons
Thanks jackie
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Kevin S;

thats a very good reply mate, if i was the lady i would be asking why they gave him a exam for telecommunications seeming he applied for electrical ???
also i would be appealing right away
hi poms from aus,

my hubby sat a telephone exam about electrical stuff not a telecommunications exam.
he failed to answer the questions correctly as he got a mental blank during the call so no reason to appeal.
I got confused as to which licence to apply for as on his tra before leaving uk it stated general electrician ,as it's been explained (thankfully) he did apply for the correct one.
Thanks for your input anyway
regards jackie
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jackie, please do forgive me when you mentioned telephone exam i actually thought you was talking of your hubby doing a communications exam.

what an idiot i am again sorry for My mix up. i can only assume the questions on the phone was related to the type of ARTC he is looking for, either fitter or mechanic.

i know the fitters exam is more concerned with stop starts + testing of motors & that kind of stuff, the mechanics license is involved with installations + cable calcs + wiring rules + faults on installations & much more, just make sure what ever state your going to live inquire about the restriction of the fitters license if that occurs in the state your going to live in.

best of luck, i know its a minefield for people doing it all from scratch.

when i did my application i made it read like a CV i listed every tool i had ever used even if only the once then i explained what the tools are used for in detail, i also listed every type of materials i had ever used + all different type of installations or repair work also include all cables single & three phase & current capacities. all paperwork must be signed & dated to make them a legal document, make lots of copies.

the people doing your application are pen pushers & dont know a screwdriver from a toffee apple its that simple.

so the easier you make it for them the better chance you have.

Its illegal to work in Australia without the A class license. a company is Not allowed to leave you alone "Unsupervised" until you have the A class license so most company's wont take you without that frigging license if anything happened they would be right in the Crap.

regards

Arthur in Melbourne
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

However in the real world u work with no license for less money!!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

noggin;

im reality mate you will come unstuck in the end, you may find your moving from one job to another with poor pay, why would you not want to get the License then you can start to charge a decent rate of pay, thats the real world.

may i ask why have you not done the license, it cannot be for financial reasons seeming your willing to work for less money.

doing the pre A class course at the Tafe gives you a very good grounding of the Australian standards also the new wiring rules or whats expected & whats illegal type of workmanship.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.