Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Working as an electrician on a non permanent visa?

Working as an electrician on a non permanent visa?

Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

L e e is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working as an electrician on a non permanent visa?

Hi me and my wife will be moving to Either Perth or Brisbane for a year or two at least in order to decide if we want to live there permanently. She is a teacher and is likely to find a good job through one of her current school's sister schools over there.

I'm qualified as an electrician here (Standard NVQ Level 3 apprenticeship for 4 years, AM2, City and Guilds 2391 Inspection and Testing, and various other health and safety and confined space training courses through work). I started the apprenticeship in 2005 so will have 7 years experience next year.

I'd like to work an an electrician while i'm there, but am wondering if it's possible to gain a Western Australia Electrical Licence or Queensland Electrical Worker Licence while not on a permanent visa? We'd be likely to get one year working visas and extend them for the second year. We'll be 29 years old by the time we go over there.

If i can't gain the full licence yet, then is it possible to work as an improver or electrician's labourer on my existing quaifications? i'd ideally like to work as a fully qualified, but will take whatever electrical work i can get as i don't fancy fruit picking or bar work, haha.

If it's possible to work as a qualified sparky on a non permanent visa, then what is the first step to take? VETASSES or ARTC?

I'm a bit confused reading through these forums as there are so many routes in for people in different sitiuations.

Thanks.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Working as an electrician on a non permanent visa?

Originally Posted by L e e
Hi me and my wife will be moving to Either Perth or Brisbane for a year or two at least in order to decide if we want to live there permanently. She is a teacher and is likely to find a good job through one of her current school's sister schools over there.

I'm qualified as an electrician here (Standard NVQ Level 3 apprenticeship for 4 years, AM2, City and Guilds 2391 Inspection and Testing, and various other health and safety and confined space training courses through work). I started the apprenticeship in 2005 so will have 7 years experience next year.

I'd like to work an an electrician while i'm there, but am wondering if it's possible to gain a Western Australia Electrical Licence or Queensland Electrical Worker Licence while not on a permanent visa? We'd be likely to get one year working visas and extend them for the second year. We'll be 29 years old by the time we go over there.

If i can't gain the full licence yet, then is it possible to work as an improver or electrician's labourer on my existing quaifications? i'd ideally like to work as a fully qualified, but will take whatever electrical work i can get as i don't fancy fruit picking or bar work, haha.

If it's possible to work as a qualified sparky on a non permanent visa, then what is the first step to take? VETASSES or ARTC?

I'm a bit confused reading through these forums as there are so many routes in for people in different sitiuations.

Thanks.
Hi there,
Vetassess is for permanent migration purposes. Once you have your Working Holiday Visa (WHV) then you can apply to the TRA for an ARTC. Note that this is not a licence and is just a recognition of your skills.
When you have an ARTC and upon arrival in Oz you can then take steps to obtain an A grade licence.
In WA it is relatively straightforward, you apply to Energy Safety who would instruct you to attend a 2week course at CET in Perth, and upon completion can apply for an A grade licence.
QLD is a lot more tricky. You have to apply for a permit to train from the QLD licencing board, enrol on a course at a TAFE (college) or a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) and find a job to complete on the job training.
Under the terms of mutual recognition you should be be to apply for another State's licence if you are a holder of an A grade licence of any Australian State, however, it has recently emerged that QLD are refusing applications from WA and SA licence holders. Also, under the terms of mutual recognition you can work anywhere in OZ as long as you have an A grade licence from any State but most employers will expect you to hold the respective State licence of the State you're working in.
For details on how to apply for an ARTC follow this LINK
For details on how to apply for a WA licence read this LINK
And for details on a QLD licence www.qet.edu.au
When I emailed Chris Williamson at QET he spoke of a 3 month time frame to gaining a full QLD licence.
Other things to bear in mind, your British qualifications will mean nothing to Australian employers and will not help you find a job.
Also, you can apply for an ARTC from the UK once you have been granted a WHV.
You only need 7 years experience if you have not served an apprenticeship.
Regards Derren