Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Whats the best way forward now?!

Whats the best way forward now?!

Old May 8th 2009, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

sandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nice
Default Whats the best way forward now?!

Hey everyone,

After some fanastic help and info from the likes of Steve'o and Chris Ball, I've just received comfirmation on passing my ARTC as electrical mechanic. Its only the ARTC pass, but it still feels good!!
Feel I can now get down to the serious stuff of booking the necessary courses for this bloody A Licence.

Thing is I wont be arriving in Oz until late November. So my question is; Is there anything I can do this side of the world to push the A Licence forward or have I got to sit and wait to go college?
Old May 8th 2009, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice
Default Re: Whats the best way forward now?!

You can apply to PEER TEC to do the Aussie Wiring Rules via distance learning, they will send you the coursework to the UK.

Once completed via self study, when you land in Australia, get yourself to Adelaide, sit the exam, pass, get you certificate that day, go round with wiring rules cert ARTC to OCBA in Adelaide, hand it all in, apply for unrestricted SA licence, two weeks later this will arrive in the post. Then you can exchange your SA licence for any other state via mutual recognition agreements!

This is exactly what i did in January.

Got my SA licence first, then applied via mutual recognition for NSW and QLD licences wich i now have!
Old May 8th 2009, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

sandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nicesandals is just really nice

Originally Posted by daviec33
You can apply to PEER TEC to do the Aussie Wiring Rules via distance learning, they will send you the coursework to the UK.

Once completed via self study, when you land in Australia, get yourself to Adelaide, sit the exam, pass, get you certificate that day, go round with wiring rules cert ARTC to OCBA in Adelaide, hand it all in, apply for unrestricted SA licence, two weeks later this will arrive in the post. Then you can exchange your SA licence for any other state via mutual recognition agreements!

This is exactly what i did in January.

Got my SA licence first, then applied via mutual recognition for NSW and QLD licences wich i now have!
Cheers for that Davie! The route you've taken, (and hearing from someone who has done just that) sounds the quickest way foward. The Qld way comes across as a real pain in a!"! Especially when its obvious your already qualified!
What kind of work is involved in this course work, did you find it easy to cope with?
Old May 8th 2009, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

daviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nicedaviec33 is just really nice

It's reasonably straight forward

The regs themselves are pretty much self explanatory and are better than ours in a sense that they are "you shall" or "you shall not".

The fundamental principles are the same as ours.

The tricky parts are

Maximum demand calculations.....(totally different to how we do it) although if you read the regs and follow the worked examples...again you'll get there.

Cable selection is again similar but different enough to catch you out if you slip into the UK method and the voltage drop calculation is again similar but the tabulated values are three phase volt drop so you have to remember to apply a multiplier to the tabulated value to get the single phase figure.

The earthing system they use called (MEN Multiple Earthed Neutral) tends to throw people a bit. It's basically a TNCS where the N-E Link is on the consumers side inside the DB between the earth and neutral bar, called the MEN Link). In addition to this an earth spike is fitted also so really it's a TNCS with a TT backup (in UK speak).

It's NOT rocket science, but at the same time you really must study and put the time in. I spent four weeks solid on the workbook every waking chance I got and read the regs book whenever I had a chance.

Put the effort in and you'll get the result you're looking for.

There is nothing of a more difficult or technically demanding nature you've already done when you served your time or did 16th Ed or Inspection and Testing (prob not as difficult as the 2391 in my opinion).

It's just a question of reminding yourself of how you know what you know as second nature and getting up to speed with the aussie way of doing things.

The guys at PEER are a good bunch and if they see you've done the groundwork and are pretty clued up they'll push you in the right direction!

:-D

You can always post here if really stuck.....I did!!!
Old May 8th 2009, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Wow this is some brilliant help, I really appreciate your time on this Davie!!

I have the 2391 and 17th Edition, and your right so far nothing has been too outrageous- providing you put the hours in! Just really annoying to have to do it all again, but hey got to do what we gotta do!!!

Whats the best way to contact peer to get some info, maybe you have their e-mail address?

Cheers for the effort
Old May 9th 2009, 7:51 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandals
Wow this is some brilliant help, I really appreciate your time on this Davie!!

I have the 2391 and 17th Edition, and your right so far nothing has been too outrageous- providing you put the hours in! Just really annoying to have to do it all again, but hey got to do what we gotta do!!!

Whats the best way to contact peer to get some info, maybe you have their e-mail address?

Cheers for the effort
http://peer.com.au/Training/Overseas...1/Default.aspx
Old May 10th 2009, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

sandals;

here is the direct info for PEER in S/A you can call them direct they are fantastic people to deal with.

Kate Boneham
Client Services Coordinator

PEER VEET
1042 Port Road
Albert Park SA 5014
Phone +61 8 8348 1200
Fax +61 8 8348 1201
[email protected]

www.peer.com.au
Old May 10th 2009, 11:36 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Hey up,

Canny see any prices on there site ?

Or am i missing something again ??

Think is was about £900 was it not ?

Dougie
Old May 10th 2009, 11:44 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Arrr found it more haste less speed

Price List Clicky

Is it worth doing the R&R and Whitecard courses when your there do you think guys ?

Thought these were a must like a CSCS card in England?

Now off to find if i am eliglbe for the CITB rate

Dougie
Old May 11th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

DOUGIE AN LOUISE;

i think its just under $900.00 but you may get enough change for a quick pot of beer mate
Old May 11th 2009, 12:17 pm
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
DOUGIE AN LOUISE;

i think its just under $900.00 but you may get enough change for a quick pot of beer mate

thats what i thought to be honest initally as i had seen it on here some time.

But according to the clicky above its only $510

Dougie
Old May 11th 2009, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Hey All,

Just a quick thankyou to everyone for helping me! Especially passing over all the links to Kate at peer and the other peer sites!

CHEERS

I'll let you know how I find it