Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Wanting to become an electrician with a view to immigrating

Wanting to become an electrician with a view to immigrating

Old Jan 18th 2017, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Angelo1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to become an electrician with a view to immigrating

Hi, all.

I have quite a few questions and i apologize for this. I have read through the forum but find it daunting looking through all this information.

I'm 28 years old and currently self-employed as a Web Designer. I have a lot of spare time and would like to use this time to get some education in so I can start a new career. I'm hoping to do an electrician from home that also mixes up with some practical sessions at a university.

At the moment, I'm looking hoping to start a course called "Domestic electrician" through the "City and Guilds"

My questions are:
1. What qualifications/education are accepted and recognized by the skills assessments in Australia? ( there are many qualifications from the City and Guilds)

2.Can I work as self-employed? Or do I have to find employment?

3. If so, Can I start work as Self-employed in Australia straight away, or do I need to go through some type of assessment/course in order to obtain any licensing?

4. If so, what type of licensing do I need?

5. Do I need a different Regulations and Legislations certificate? Or will a UK one do?

6. Minimum years of experience? (I'm not looking to immigrate until I have 1-2 years of work experience)

7. Do I need apprenticeship experience?

Most of my family live In Western Australia ( Freemantle ) and I currently care for me mum so It's quite hard on my own. I would also like to know how it would be possible to move my mom out there with me as her sisters and nieces/nephews live out there as well. She's 57 and has stents fitted, So I have to help take care of her. Could I include her on my visa application as a dependent?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm hoping that once I'm in Australia, I can continue my education and possible gain a Commerical installations qualification

Thank you

Last edited by Angelo1989; Jan 18th 2017 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to become an electrician with a view to immigrating

Originally Posted by Angelo1989
Hi, all.

I have quite a few questions and i apologize for this. I have read through the forum but find it daunting looking through all this information.

I'm 28 years old and currently self-employed as a Web Designer. I have a lot of spare time and would like to use this time to get some education in so I can start a new career. I'm hoping to do an electrician from home that also mixes up with some practical sessions at a university.

At the moment, I'm looking hoping to start a course called "Domestic electrician" through the "City and Guilds"

My questions are:
1. What qualifications/education are accepted and recognized by the skills assessments in Australia? ( there are many qualifications from the City and Guilds)

2.Can I work as self-employed? Or do I have to find employment?

3. If so, Can I start work as Self-employed in Australia straight away, or do I need to go through some type of assessment/course in order to obtain any licensing?

4. If so, what type of licensing do I need?

5. Do I need a different Regulations and Legislations certificate? Or will a UK one do?

6. Minimum years of experience? (I'm not looking to immigrate until I have 1-2 years of work experience)

7. Do I need apprenticeship experience?

Most of my family live In Western Australia ( Freemantle ) and I currently care for me mum so It's quite hard on my own. I would also like to know how it would be possible to move my mom out there with me as her sisters and nieces/nephews live out there as well. She's 57 and has stents fitted, So I have to help take care of her. Could I include her on my visa application as a dependent?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm hoping that once I'm in Australia, I can continue my education and possible gain a Commerical installations qualification

Thank you
I'll leave most of the electrician side of things for old.sparkles who is a whizz on that stuff. I can tell you though that you would have to work under someone else for a time and get your qualifications assessed in whichever state you move to, before you can work on your own. That's after you pass the skills assessment to get here in the first place. Have a read of the threads in the electricians section regarding OTSR -old.sparkles will help out with all that.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/electricians-97

You would not be able to include your mother on the application though. She would need to look at getting here under her own steam. Because of the existence of the welfare state, NHS etc in the UK people may appear to be dependent but if their carers leave then the state takes over.
There are parent visas available, depending on where the rest of her family live (inside or outside of Aus) and you may be able to sponsor her for one of those. But you would have to be a permanent resident yourself before that could happen, and be settled in Australia. Better to ask about the parent visas in the Aussie Immigration forum.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...-australia-32/

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 19th 2017 at 1:20 am.