W A License

Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:54 am
Just Joined

Skippy SA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default W A License

Hi All

Has anyone done the A Grade WA Licence recently. What did it involve and is the Licence for Electrical Fitter and Mechanic the same?

Once you apply with the Dept of Energy, how long does it take before you can go do your license?

Cheers
Skippy SA
Old Jan 29th 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all
Default Re: W A License

A lifetime!!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks Noggin

I feel much better now!

Cheers
Skippy SA
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:40 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skippy SA View Post
Hi All

Has anyone done the A Grade WA Licence recently. What did it involve and is the Licence for Electrical Fitter and Mechanic the same?

Once you apply with the Dept of Energy, how long does it take before you can go do your license?

Cheers
Skippy SA
your better going via peer in sa
pm wendy and ask her as she`s really clued up re peer

regards steve
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks Steve will do!

Cheers
Skippy SA
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:33 pm
Naughty but nice...

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Skippy SA View Post
Thanks Steve will do!

Cheers
Skippy SA

Sent you a PM with details
Old Feb 6th 2008, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

Apply to Department of Energy after you have received your ARTC Certificate, you will be given a letter allowing you to work under the guidance of a licenced electrician and also you can contact TAFE for a trade test, pass the trade test and you can do the written exam/regulations within two weeks.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

milkchocolate is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

Please may I ask a question. My partner is a fully qualified electrician in the UK with mountains of (provable) experience but I understand he will have to undergo the trade test.

I understand Tafe (where the test is administered) is in NSW, whereas we're considering emigrating to Perth. Does that make a difference?

Also, can the trade test/course be taken in England before we go? Or do we have to wait until we get there, find a job on lower wages until the course is completed and the test passed (approx 4 months)?

Your help is much appreciated!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:24 pm
Naughty but nice...

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milkchocolate View Post
Hi there

Please may I ask a question. My partner is a fully qualified electrician in the UK with mountains of (provable) experience but I understand he will have to undergo the trade test.

I understand Tafe (where the test is administered) is in NSW, whereas we're considering emigrating to Perth. Does that make a difference?

Also, can the trade test/course be taken in England before we go? Or do we have to wait until we get there, find a job on lower wages until the course is completed and the test passed (approx 4 months)?

Your help is much appreciated!
All states have their own licening authourity and their own requirements for licencing, so you need to attend tafe or the registered training organisation (RTO) in the state you are going to.

I think you are thinking of the ARTC application when you say 'trades test is in NSW', that is applied for through the TRA and you fill in an application form. Sometimes they will ask that you take a trades test, but this is usually on the telephone and doesn't always happen.

If you look at the sticky thread at the top of the forum, you will get the links for an ARTC application form and also the licencing authority in WA.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Kangy-roo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, OH has just had his ARTC request confirmed as an Electrical Fitter, when he applied for Electrical Mechanic. Is this the norm. We were a bit shocked as he has 25 years of experience as an Electricial Maintenance Engineer in the Manufacturing industry.

Is it that he is classed as a Fitter until he has taken the written and practical exams? From the web sites I have looked at both Electrical Fitters and Mechanics can get their A Licence. What is the difference? I would be really grateful if anyone could help. We move to Perth in 4 weeks and now we are worried about the types of jobs that will be open to OH.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 9:45 pm
Naughty but nice...

Originally Posted by Kangy-roo View Post
Hi, OH has just had his ARTC request confirmed as an Electrical Fitter, when he applied for Electrical Mechanic. Is this the norm. We were a bit shocked as he has 25 years of experience as an Electricial Maintenance Engineer in the Manufacturing industry.

Is it that he is classed as a Fitter until he has taken the written and practical exams? From the web sites I have looked at both Electrical Fitters and Mechanics can get their A Licence. What is the difference? I would be really grateful if anyone could help. We move to Perth in 4 weeks and now we are worried about the types of jobs that will be open to OH.

I have replied to your PM
Old Mar 8th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Kangy-roo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
Thanks Wendy. We will investigate further.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

John Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really nice

Hi Wendy,

I'm also interested in the differences between electrical fitter/electrical mechanic as i'm in the process of filling in my ARTC form. Am i allowed to apply for both? How does this affect the type of work i am allowed to do?

I have applied for the home learning kit from Peer and will also need to have my licence tranferred to a WA one if/when i get my SA licence.

Why is this all so complicated and expensive? My reading into it is that the TRA office asks for the same info twice, to give you one certificate!I find it difficult enough finding my way round a computer at the best of times, so having to research all this is not my cup of tea at all.

Many thanks for any info you are able to give me.

Regards John
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:02 am
Naughty but nice...

Originally Posted by John Barmby View Post
Hi Wendy,

I'm also interested in the differences between electrical fitter/electrical mechanic as i'm in the process of filling in my ARTC form. Am i allowed to apply for both? How does this affect the type of work i am allowed to do?

I have applied for the home learning kit from Peer and will also need to have my licence tranferred to a WA one if/when i get my SA licence.

Why is this all so complicated and expensive? My reading into it is that the TRA office asks for the same info twice, to give you one certificate!I find it difficult enough finding my way round a computer at the best of times, so having to research all this is not my cup of tea at all.

Many thanks for any info you are able to give me.

Regards John
G'day John,

In some states a fitter can not connect to or disconnect from the mains without further training, this results in a restricted licence being issued until you have completed the extra training. In South Australia this doesn't matter as you can apply for a full licence with either mechanic or fitter and a pass of the wiring rules exam - so which state you go to can affect the needed outcome of the ARTC application.

The TRA will assess you as they see it, there is no point putting that you want mechanic as they will give you fitter if you don't put enough evidence in there - so lots of things about disconnecting and connecting should achieve the result you want. Send everything you sent before plus up to date info if you can and you should be fine.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

John Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really niceJohn Barmby is just really nice

G'day John,

In some states a fitter can not connect to or disconnect from the mains without further training, this results in a restricted licence being issued until you have completed the extra training. In South Australia this doesn't matter as you can apply for a full licence with either mechanic or fitter and a pass of the wiring rules exam - so which state you go to can affect the needed outcome of the ARTC application.

The TRA will assess you as they see it, there is no point putting that you want mechanic as they will give you fitter if you don't put enough evidence in there - so lots of things about disconnecting and connecting should achieve the result you want. Send everything you sent before plus up to date info if you can and you should be fine.
Cheers for the quick response Wendy,

So, to clarify, I'm best (as Steve O advises people) trying to obtain a full SA licence and transferring that over to a WA licence. This should mean that i have a full licence in WA, even if the ARTC grade me as an electrical fitter.

Be good to see the sights of Adelaide, not a place i have seen very much of.

Cheers John

p.s yourself and Steve O are fantastic!! So much good advice, you should keep a record of how many sparks you get qualified!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.