Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

TRA Skills Assessment for Electricians

TRA Skills Assessment for Electricians

Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of
Default TRA Skills Assessment for Electricians

Hi everyone,

I am new to this, so please bear with me!

I am just in the process of trying to sort out my husbands Skills Assesment. He went self employed as an Electrician last year. He has been qualified for 17 years.

Has anyone got any advice to help me out abit - I think I am going to get an agent to help us with the actual application but there is so much stuff they want from clients & suppliers, I thought I would try and sort as much as possible before getting the agent involved (cutting costs abit)

Thanks to anyone who can help out
Niz
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

STREAKY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TRA Skills Assessment for Electricians

hi,just had mine refused for not enough detail and evidence ,i,m trying again with the help of people on this site,only advice i can give you is to really get as much info ,certs,employer ref ,training,anything he has done over the years,good luck
Old Jan 31st 2007, 4:39 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nizcac
Hi everyone,

I am just in the process of trying to sort out my husbands Skills Assesment. He went self employed as an Electrician last year. He has been qualified for 17 years.

Has anyone got any advice to help me out abit - I think I am going to get an agent to help us with the actual application but there is so much stuff they want from clients & suppliers, I thought I would try and sort as much as possible before getting the agent involved (cutting costs abit)

Niz
PM me and I can guide you through it. I also was self employed in a similar role.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:02 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Niz

pop into the electical forum mate

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

regards steve
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve`o
pop into the electical forum mate

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97

regards steve
Thanks for the replies guys - already found some useful info from you. I would never have thought to send photos!
Steve'o' How long have you been in Queensland? And how long had you been qualified before you went?

Niz.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by STREAKY
hi,just had mine refused for not enough detail and evidence ,i,m trying again with the help of people on this site,only advice i can give you is to really get as much info ,certs,employer ref ,training,anything he has done over the years,good luck
Hi Streaky, Did you apply on your own or via an agent?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:28 pm
Bionic by birth !

bionic-bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Niz

Well, I am a sort of self employed electrician, and going through the same process as your OH. I am now at the stage of waiting for our Visa's to turn up in a month or so.
The worst part of the Skills process is obtaining all the documentation and proving to the skills assessment body that your husband can do what he's supposed to be trained for. When I say ‘ sort of Electrician’ , I mean I’m a Computer Machine Tool service technician( CNC Engineer ) which is not a standard classified job title. Hence, nobody ever seems to know what I do for a living. We used Go Matida for our application who guided our way.
The biggest problem I had was because I'm self employed, was getting references from 3 Suppliers and 3 Customers and also proving my training from leaving school to now. A bit tricky when two of the four companies I used to work for have gone belly up and unable to get reference. In the end I had some 165 pages of references from supplies, customers, accountants, training establishments, All of my additional college and Uni certificates as well as the normal photo copies of birth certificates, ect ect.
To cut a long story short, gathering the references from supplies ,customers ,accountants is probably the worst part of the whole application parts and took me over three or four months to complete. Don’t forget that you’re asking customers and suppliers to do you a reference and quite often they can’t be bothered, so make it as easy for your husband’s clients to give good references.
I think if you are employed then it’s easier to get the references from your employer and that’s it. But self employed is a different kettle of fish.
Please don’t think I'm putting you off but do reside yourself to several months of paper gathering and chasing other people for references.
Just bear in mind, once it’s done----its done and your can relax a little until the next task is required....

Does that sort of Help. ?
Good Luck
Dave
Old Feb 1st 2007, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bionic-bean
Hi Niz

Well, I am a sort of self employed electrician, and going through the same process as your OH. I am now at the stage of waiting for our Visa's to turn up in a month or so.
The worst part of the Skills process is obtaining all the documentation and proving to the skills assessment body that your husband can do what he's supposed to be trained for. When I say ‘ sort of Electrician’ , I mean I’m a Computer Machine Tool service technician( CNC Engineer ) which is not a standard classified job title. Hence, nobody ever seems to know what I do for a living. We used Go Matida for our application who guided our way.
The biggest problem I had was because I'm self employed, was getting references from 3 Suppliers and 3 Customers and also proving my training from leaving school to now. A bit tricky when two of the four companies I used to work for have gone belly up and unable to get reference. In the end I had some 165 pages of references from supplies, customers, accountants, training establishments, All of my additional college and Uni certificates as well as the normal photo copies of birth certificates, ect ect.
To cut a long story short, gathering the references from supplies ,customers ,accountants is probably the worst part of the whole application parts and took me over three or four months to complete. Don’t forget that you’re asking customers and suppliers to do you a reference and quite often they can’t be bothered, so make it as easy for your husband’s clients to give good references.
I think if you are employed then it’s easier to get the references from your employer and that’s it. But self employed is a different kettle of fish.
Please don’t think I'm putting you off but do reside yourself to several months of paper gathering and chasing other people for references.
Just bear in mind, once it’s done----its done and your can relax a little until the next task is required....

Does that sort of Help. ?
Good Luck
Dave
Just to add to what Dave has said. Make sure you get at least three copies of the references as you will need them to apply for a ARTC certificate when you arrive in Australia to enable you to apply for a licence.

Last edited by Wendy; Feb 1st 2007 at 4:44 am. Reason: Speeling :D
Old Feb 1st 2007, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wendy
Just to add to what Dave has said. Make sure you get at least three copies of the references as you will need them to apply for a ARTC certificate when you arrive in Australia to enable you to apply for a licence.
Dave

Your right you have scared me a bit - BUT we need this and at least I know what I am in for! My biggest concern is getting the stuff from the customers - it says in the application for TRA the statements have to be on Letterheads! Alot of our customers are of the 'Anti technology' age group and although they would be willing to give the reference it would be Pen and Paper - Do you think this will count?
Wendy
I have read loads of your stuff and found it really useful - kind of gives you faith that all the good people are going to Oz!!
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:11 pm
The Master of Disaster

iceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really niceiceman is just really nice

Dave

Your right you have scared me a bit - BUT we need this and at least I know what I am in for! My biggest concern is getting the stuff from the customers - it says in the application for TRA the statements have to be on Letterheads! Alot of our customers are of the 'Anti technology' age group and although they would be willing to give the reference it would be Pen and Paper - Do you think this will count?
Wendy
I have read loads of your stuff and found it really useful - kind of gives you faith that all the good people are going to Oz!!
References MUST be on official letterhead and signed by someone authorised to do so.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 10:45 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Dave

Wendy
If they are private customers, as in someone's house then pen to paper will be fine - or you could type the references up for them and ask them to sign it. However if it is a business they must have letterheading I would have thought - you could always type the reference for them and get them to print it off on their letterheading
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:34 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
If they are private customers, as in someone's house then pen to paper will be fine - or you could type the references up for them and ask them to sign it. However if it is a business they must have letterheading I would have thought - you could always type the reference for them and get them to print it off on their letterheading
eh up

some carpenters bint telling us sparkies what to do

bugger off
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:42 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

eh up

some carpenters bint telling us sparkies what to do

bugger off
PMSL

Well us carpenter's bints are VERY well informed you know
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:44 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by Clippies
PMSL

Well us carpenter's bints are VERY well informed you know
morning kath
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 6:46 am

morning kath
Morning Steve

Shouldn't you be getting the west wing ready?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.