Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Is it still possible to transfer SA license to WA

Is it still possible to transfer SA license to WA

Old Mar 1st 2014, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Sparkyandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it still possible to transfer SA license to WA

I have been hearing a lot of conflicting stories, people saying WA wont recognize the SA license even though there is a mutual recognition etc, yet i have noticed people posting on other forums that they have managed to get it done.

Basically i have my ARTC but i am sick at the thought of this gap training its torture the thought of becoming a glorified apprentice again for 10+ months its just demoralizing. not to mention the cost $2500 on top of $930 for my ARTC and $112 for my restricted.

They should be ashamed of the way they are treating overseas tradesmen showing no respect for our training and experience in the industry.

I am hoping to do the peer course in SA and change my license over to WA i know its a risk but it will be worth it if i can get it rather than a year of struggling as a T/A. Has anyone done this recently or planning to do it before SA bring in this ridiculous context training?

Any help is appreciated
Regards
Andy
Old Mar 1st 2014, 5:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it still possible to transfer SA license to WA

Originally Posted by Sparkyandy
I have been hearing a lot of conflicting stories, people saying WA wont recognize the SA license even though there is a mutual recognition etc, yet i have noticed people posting on other forums that they have managed to get it done.

Basically i have my ARTC but i am sick at the thought of this gap training its torture the thought of becoming a glorified apprentice again for 10+ months its just demoralizing. not to mention the cost $2500 on top of $930 for my ARTC and $112 for my restricted.

They should be ashamed of the way they are treating overseas tradesmen showing no respect for our training and experience in the industry.

I am hoping to do the peer course in SA and change my license over to WA i know its a risk but it will be worth it if i can get it rather than a year of struggling as a T/A. Has anyone done this recently or planning to do it before SA bring in this ridiculous context training?

Any help is appreciated
Regards
Andy
I don't know about swapping to WA, I know it's been done recently to NSW.

Peer's calendar for upskilling (which includes the wiring rules) shows a course at the beginning of April (no idea of spaces) - http://peer.com.au/Portals/0/2014%20...19-02-2014.PDF

and the cost is $830 - http://peer.com.au/Portals/0/PRICE%2...%2023.1.14.pdf plus books (but I can lend you the books if needed)

One way to do it may be to get the SA license, switch to NSW and then WA maybe if WA wont do mutual recognition of an SA license
Old Mar 1st 2014, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Any help is appreciated
Regards
Andy
Hi Andy,
I can't be 100% sure but I still think you can still do this. Unless the staff at PEER have changed then they'll be up to speed with things like this. Also, all states are bound by the Mutual Recognition Act, to recognise other state licences. Queensland have had to back down in this respect, if you stand up to them, as they know they would lose a tribunal. I think Victoria are still holding out.
I've seen nothing to suggest that WA can or will reject your SA licence, although there were instances a few years back of ARTC holders being given a fitters grade. SA doesn't make a distinction between a fiitter and a mechanic. Consequently, sparks graded as fitters were using the SA licence to get a full electricians licence in WA. Energy Safety became aware and shut that loophloe down for fitters. Electrical mechanics remained unaffected and I believe this remains as such.Although I'm no legal expert, if they were to reject you a WA l licence , then they would be in clear violation of the Mutual Recognition Act.
Again, I would ask PEER. If this avenue is still open then they probably have sparks doing this right now.
Regards
Derren
Old Mar 1st 2014, 5:52 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derren7
Hi Andy,
I can't be 100% sure but I still think you can still do this. Unless the staff at PEER have changed then they'll be up to speed with things like this. Also, all states are bound by the Mutual Recognition Act, to recognise other state licences. Queensland have had to back down in this respect, if you stand up to them, as they know they would lose a tribunal. I think Victoria are still holding out.
I've seen nothing to suggest that WA can or will reject your SA licence, although there were instances a few years back of ARTC holders being given a fitters grade. SA doesn't make a distinction between a fiitter and a mechanic. Consequently, sparks graded as fitters were using the SA licence to get a full electricians licence in WA. Energy Safety became aware and shut that loophloe down for fitters. Electrical mechanics remained unaffected and I believe this remains as such.Although I'm no legal expert, if they were to reject you a WA l licence , then they would be in clear violation of the Mutual Recognition Act.
Again, I would ask PEER. If this avenue is still open then they probably have sparks doing this right now.
Regards
Derren
Peer schedule shows 11 courses for this year - I would say that there's a few doing it. There was a course going on when I did gap training - think there were around 20 doing it!
Old Mar 1st 2014, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Im going to try get on this course. It is hard to keep work as a T/A and with things slowing down its not going to be any easier this year i fear i wouldn't be able to get enough work to finish the logbook if i do the gap training.

Is it a bank holiday in Adelaide on Monday aswell? I will give peer a ring as soon as they are open and see if i can get booked on to the course. Thanks old.sparkles for the offer i might have to take you up if i cant find the pdf's online.

I have wanted to see Adelaide as i only traveled the east coast and then moved to Perth. I was depressed thinking about all this gap training and logbook but this defo seems to be the best route for me i am looking forward to it now. hopefully i can book a spot on the course in april.

I will keep you guys updated when i hear back from peer, if all goes well we could be meeting up in Adelaide next month for a beer
Old Mar 1st 2014, 6:22 am

Im going to try get on this course. It is hard to keep work as a T/A and with things slowing down its not going to be any easier this year i fear i wouldn't be able to get enough work to finish the logbook if i do the gap training.

Is it a bank holiday in Adelaide on Monday aswell? I will give peer a ring as soon as they are open and see if i can get booked on to the course. Thanks old.sparkles for the offer i might have to take you up if i cant find the pdf's online.

I have wanted to see Adelaide as i only traveled the east coast and then moved to Perth. I was depressed thinking about all this gap training and logbook but this defo seems to be the best route for me i am looking forward to it now. hopefully i can book a spot on the course in april.

I will keep you guys updated when i hear back from peer, if all goes well we could be meeting up in Adelaide next month for a beer
No worries - Peer is only 5 mins from where I live. They do sometimes sell second hand copies. I also have the workbook from the wiring regs course I did as well as the gap training one which you could borrow if needed.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

sparkatrician is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the route I took

ARTC elec mech
Peer wiring rules
SA Licence
Mutual recog from SA to NSW
Mutual recog from NSW to QLD
Mutual recog from QLD to WA

This was all back in 2009.

I think you'll be okay but I've heard QLD and WA can be a bit iffy with SA licences.

Might be worth using the NSW licence as an stepping stone and getting and using it for mutual recog for WA. Extra cost but maybe save you some drama in the long term.

Worth mentioning in the intervening years between 2009 and getting my licence I've also done the cert 3 electro technology just in case mutual recog ever becomes a problem. Never been asked for it but it seems to be the Aussie benchmark for getting a licence.

Last edited by sparkatrician; Mar 3rd 2014 at 9:55 am. Reason: Wrong dates
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info mate im booked with peer now for april. I dont think i could handle the gap training. i hate working as a t/a. Im gonna transfer to NSW first anyway im not taking the risk with WA. What did you have to do to get your cert 3 if you dont mind me asking?
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Jemmafreegard is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

My partner is having the same issues with getting his A grade. He is resorting to going to SA to do the course. We also have a problem that he has only been issued a electrical fitters certificate and we now have to fight this. If anyone can help with what needs to be put in the ARTC paperwork to grant this would be great seeing as we thought we included everything.

Good luck everyone
Jemma
Old Mar 6th 2014, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jemmafreegard
Hi

My partner is having the same issues with getting his A grade. He is resorting to going to SA to do the course. We also have a problem that he has only been issued a electrical fitters certificate and we now have to fight this. If anyone can help with what needs to be put in the ARTC paperwork to grant this would be great seeing as we thought we included everything.

Good luck everyone
Jemma
Hi Jemma,
What is your partner's background. Is he a maintenance electrician, or an installation electrician?. Basically, a fitter is a maintenance spark, or an electrician with niche skills and experience, and a mechanic is an installation spark.
Click on this LINK to give you an idea of the references that were used for successful applications to the TRA for an electrical mechanic.
Regards Derren
Old Mar 6th 2014, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Hi jemma

I called the different states and asked about mutual recognition of the license and they all asked what artc i had. I received elec mechanic so they said this is fine send it in with my license and application form. WA in particular said they wont accept an artc cert as a fitter. Your better off try get his elec mechanic artc before trying to get the license changed over.

To get elec mechanic your references and experience should show strong installation experience i had experience in maintenance but told my employer not to include this and just focus on installations. Anyone who puts down maintenance experience seems to get classed as a fitter.
Old Mar 10th 2014, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

jimcz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jemmafreegard
Hi

Good luck everyone
Jemma
If you're going the SA route don't worry about being fitter. I had ARTC fitter certificate as well and SA issues generic licenses regardless. After that, I basically went the same (crazy) route like sparkatrician.
Old Mar 11th 2014, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

sparkatrician is an unknown quantity at this point

@SparkyAndy

Sorry for the late reply mate.

I did my cert III electrotechnology through Petersham TAFE it was nearly all done via RPL as I had previously worked in Australia as a T/A when backpacking. I got in touch with my old bosses and got them to sign off detailed references much like my ARTC. I also had to fill in somee log books an dtake pictures of my work and get my current boss to sign it all off.

There were a couple of things they wouldn't RPL me on so I had to do them and write up the jobs, take pictures all the usual kerfuffle.

It was a painful simply because there wass so much writing stuff up and taking photos etc.

Basically I had to build up a portfolio that met all the requirements of the cert III.

Again this was a couple of years ago now and I'm not sure if RPL is as easy as it once was
Old Mar 11th 2014, 9:27 am
Perth calling...

Andy the spark is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate being a spark. Especially in this country. So much boll**ks involved now. I wish I'd payed attention at school I really do
Old Mar 11th 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by Andy the spark
I hate being a spark. Especially in this country. So much boll**ks involved now. I wish I'd payed attention at school I really do
Are you still in UK Andy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.