sponsored visa?

Old Feb 29th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Porter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nice
Default sponsored visa?

Hi all,just been invited to the London expo and just wondered what are the pros and cons of this type of visa,against an indivdual one.many thanks
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sponsored visa?

Originally Posted by Porter
Hi all,just been invited to the London expo and just wondered what are the pros and cons of this type of visa,against an indivdual one.many thanks

I've never been to an expo so not really sure what visa you mean? I thought they were just information events

If you mean a sponsored visa though, then it really depends on which visa they would sponsor you for - there's a few different ones, but mostly you would be tied to an employer. If you go for an independant one then you aren't.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Porter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nicePorter is just really nice

I see,are you tied to them for a certain amount of time?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Shari68 will become famous soon enough

Hi,
We are going on a 457 temporary visa (sponsored) we have been told by the company if OH leaves his job before 4 years he will have to pay back relocation allowance, flight cost etc. After 2 years we can apply for a Permanent Visa, so hopefully we will love Australia and decide to stay permanently.
hope this helps
Shari
Old Feb 29th 2008, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

A 457 is for up to 4 years. If you leave your employer or they get rid of you - you have 28 days to leave the country. You can apply for PR when you like (providing you meet the criteria) , so some people use it as a way to get here quicker. However the employer would probably put something into the contract to say you had to pay them back certain things so that would need to be consindered. There is a link in the Wiki section of the site that explains the 457 in depth.

There are lots of other types of employer sponsored visa's too, info on them here: http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1131.pdf
Old Mar 1st 2008, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

dondownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

If i could 'do it all again' i would apply straight for independant skilled migration. As it happens i came out on a working holiday to get the feel for the country and had a whale of a time and consequently didnt work. BUT...to apply for skilled migration you have to have worked in your nominated MODL occupation for 12 out of 18 months (has changed to 12 out of 24). So, i now have a 457 sponsored visa (to make up that 12 out of 24 yhat will allow me to apply for perm residancy) with a 1 year pay back clause. I hate the company i work and as soon as i signed the contract they wanted to change the location of where i would work and didnt make it clear what my roll would be ect ect ect...The whole thing was not thought through because i was broke.

The lesson i have learnt is dont verbally agree to anything and make sure the contract is water tight. Also, request for definitions of any ambiguos words in the contract.

I am sure people have good stories about 457s but mine has been a nightmare from day 1.

don
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for those replys.At the moment i've only ever looked at an independant visa but i will look thru these other types.cheers