Retraining on oz

Old Aug 30th 2013, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Micetroo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retraining on oz

Hi thanks for that I guess the only thing to do ithen is get the visa in 2 years then go on holiday there then come back and get the experience in uk then after 5 years go over before visa runs out and get licence? Or could he work as an electricians mate in oz for 5 years before getting licence? If he did that does anyone know how much they get paid?
Old Aug 30th 2013, 6:22 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
What qualifications will he have when he finishes?

Assuming he has enough to safisfy a skills assessment, he will need to do gap training and complete a log book of work in Australia. If you are having skills assesse in the UK, he will need to apply to Vetassess (there are other options but Vetassess is most common), provide his evidence, take a trade test and be issued an OTSR. When he gets to Australia, the gap training and log book could easily take 12 months.

If he waits and applies for assessment in Australia, he could apply to TRA for recognition and ARTC. The process takes about 3 months. SA currently will swap an ARTC and wiring rules cert (which is 7 day course) for full license. NSW I heard wouldn't accept ARTC - not sure of process in other states, but had heard it was headed the same way as OTSR in that overseas electricians need upto 1 year supervised work.

That's as much as I know - other's may have more to add. My experience is as maintenance electrician as industrial enviroments, and with over 20 years exp. I start work on Monday after nearly 5 months in Australia - I did gap training in July, and have OTSR
glad you got sorted,

Steve
Old Aug 30th 2013, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

colinmaclec is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i bet your glad! 5 months is a long time. I just got laid off from my job due to the company having no work for the last couple of months but I have managed to get something else straight away. It is certainly not easy to get work here now
Old Aug 31st 2013, 10:34 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colinmaclec
Yeah i bet your glad! 5 months is a long time. I just got laid off from my job due to the company having no work for the last couple of months but I have managed to get something else straight away. It is certainly not easy to get work here now
Depends whwer you live. seems to be loads of work in Sydney as i keep getting emails from SEEk.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 11:21 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
glad you got sorted,

Steve
Originally Posted by colinmaclec
Thanks both - ended up with a couple of offers at the same time, but it's not easy while you're still on supervised license.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

jimcz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Thanks both - ended up with a couple of offers at the same time, but it's not easy while you're still on supervised license.
Congratulations as well!! Good for you. So now, after 5 months of "holiday" back on the horse . Is it the job in the brewery factory? I'd love to work there too..
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:30 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimcz
Congratulations as well!! Good for you. So now, after 5 months of "holiday" back on the horse . Is it the job in the brewery factory? I'd love to work there too..
I wish - said yes to role with water company (desalination and RO units) and then found out I would have made it through - brewery was just too slow
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Well done on your job too. I have asked an immigration agent to investigate the 7 years experience requirement to get licence which someone said would be mandatory and have found this to be incorrect.

What you have to do is take tests to prove your skill and knowledge and work for up to a year supervised in order to obtain your licence. Just in case anyone is reading this and thinking they cannot work as an electrician without 7 years experience. Obviously I am sure you will need experience to do the tests but certainly you don't have to prove you have 7 years.

Getting a qualification which you work independently every evening and carry out numerous practical training courses and testing/exams before working as an electricians mate where your training continues on site and you take tests that prove you have the qualifications after a couple of years is not less respected than gaining the qualifications any other way, its the same qualification at the end of the day just a different route. For example if a teacher got their training via a PGCE instead of a 4 year degree would not make them any less qualified to do the job.

Thanks
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Micetroo
I have asked an immigration agent to investigate the 7 years experience requirement to get licence which someone said would be mandatory and have found this to be incorrect.
So, Trade Recognition Australia is providing incorrect information's. Interesting!

Trade Recognition Australia requirements for Australian Recognised Trade certificate

I have completed a relevant overseas apprenticeship and, where necessary, subsequent work experience

OR

I have at least six (6) years on the job experience in engineering or metal trades OR seven (7) years in an electrical trade
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

Yeah sure. Good luck then.

PS Let us know once he gets an A grade license.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

This is what is says on the Australian Government for the ARTC guidelines Website .

Eligibility for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate

To be granted an ARTC, you must be able to demonstrate that you:
• are an Australian permanent resident or citizen, hold a New Zealand Passport or hold a visa that allows you to temporarily reside and work in your trade in Australia
• reside in Australia
• have sufficient English language skills to perform the work of the trade safely in Australia
• have sufficient training and experience to meet the requirements of the Criteria and Guidelines and the Act
• have completed the requirements of the Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR) if one has been issued to you
• undertake all steps in the assessment process including, where applicable, a technical interview, trade test or other action requested by an LC
• are currently capable of performing the work of your trade in Australia.

Last edited by Micetroo; Sep 2nd 2013 at 2:37 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

And to apply for the ARTC you need to complete a relevant overseas apprenticeship which he will have done, so the 7 years experience is only for those without the appropriate training and not for those with the appropriate on site training which was what was initially implied. This is where the confusion was.

Last edited by Micetroo; Sep 2nd 2013 at 2:39 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:02 pm

And to apply for the ARTC you need to complete a relevant overseas apprenticeship which he will have done, so the 7 years experience is only for those without the appropriate training and not for those with the appropriate on site training which was what was initially implied. This is where the confusion was.
Have you looked at the criteria of what satisfies the suitable training -

1) completed successfully an apprenticeship, or equivalent traineeship, including successful
completion of appropriate formal training,3 in the electrical trades and, if necessary, had a
period of employment experience on work ordinarily performed by a tradesperson in that
classification2 which, together with the period of apprenticeship, totals not less than 4
years; or
2) completed the training program for an electrical craftsman prescribed by any Industry
Training Board approved by the Central Trades Committee, including successful completion
of appropriate formal training,3 received the Craftsman's Certificate and had a period of
employment experience on work ordinarily performed by a tradesperson in that
classification2 which, together with the period of training, totals not less than 4 years; or
V 2.0 Page | 65
3) been a regular serviceperson and reached the standard contained in the agreement
between the Service and relevant Union for recognition as a skilled electrical tradesperson;
or
4) according to the guidelines adopted from time to time by Central Trades Committees,
satisfied a Skills Assessor who is an electrical tradesperson, or a non-electrical Skills
Assessor on the advice of a qualified electrical tradesperson, that the person:
a. has been employed for not less than 7 years on work ordinarily performed by an
electrical tradesperson in that classification;2 and,
b. is capable of performing the work of that classification in Australia.
From http://www.innovation.gov.au/skills/...Guidelines.pdf
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks so he will be on option 1 or 2 after the years coursework he will be working as a trainee for a year or 2 getting his jib card etc. so then he would have to work another year to ensure he does 4 years training?

Last edited by Micetroo; Sep 2nd 2013 at 9:49 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:56 pm

Thanks so he will be on option 1 or 2 after the years coursework he will be working as a trainee for a year or 2 getting his jib card etc. so then he would have to work another year to ensure he does 4 years training?
The problem will be that if he doesn't have a certificate of apprenticeship, you may find that the 7 years will apply as he doesn't have enough structured training. He may be better off looking for a mature apprenticeship in Australia, and getting the Cert III that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.