Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Restricted class 's' license - Victoria, Australia

Restricted class 's' license - Victoria, Australia

Old Sep 1st 2006, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of
Default Restricted class 's' license - Victoria, Australia

Hi, Im in the process of getting my visa for OZ and have just done my medicals. I am classed as an electrical engineer in the UK and i work on industrial machinery, to include fault finding and rectifying, plc programming, preventative maintenance etc etc, i do not wire houses/work on domestic installations or the like.
I have been awarded my ARTC to be collected in Australia upon arrival and i have posted on the Australia forums to try to work out what type of license, if any, i need to apply for upon collecting my ARTC. According to workplace.gov.au, they list an 's' class as someone who does the sort of work i do, however they don't say if i need to do any exams to get it.
Is there anyone here that has migrated to OZ doing the sort of work i do? and if so can they shed any light on the matter?

Regards, Simpy
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restricted class 's' license - Victoria, Australia

We do a siliar job... I fix lifts, mainly work on plc controls and three phase motor controls ( usually VF nowdays ) . I was told I will need my A grade elec license over there but dont yet know how true this is.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

simpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud ofsimpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by john_w
We do a siliar job... I fix lifts, mainly work on plc controls and three phase motor controls ( usually VF nowdays ) . I was told I will need my A grade elec license over there but dont yet know how true this is.

Hi John, I keep getting told the same, but when you look here, the classification i fall under is 'S' for Victoria. The 'A' class license involves theory tests and practical to include wiring of household circuits and testing of household appliances as well as knowing the correct wiring regs. I have never done any domestic wiring (other than the odd stuff on my own property) since completing my apprenticeship as my job doesn't involve it, so the 'A' class license isn't the one i need. Also, any jobs that i have applied for have never mentioned about needing a license, only experience and qualifications. Your career will probably be different though and you may need 'A' class as you are going to different places of work repairing lifts.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

Thamks for your reply, and the pm about ARTC... chasing them up next week to get my stuff looked at in advance, how did you get them to pass yours pre-visa?
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Thamks for your reply, and the pm about ARTC... chasing them up next week to get my stuff looked at in advance, how did you get them to pass yours pre-visa?
Hi John, It wasn't easy m8, when I first applied they emailed me to say that my application would be kept on file and that it would be processed upon proof of my visa. I wasn't happy about this as I am the type of person who would like to be able to start work upon arrival and not have all the messing about as I think that migrating to another country with a family and with a different culture is hard enough without more hassle, so I emailed them back and told them this and they agreed to process my application. When this was done they emailed me to say that it was successful and that I was classed as an Electrical fitter BUT I had to wait until arrival in OZ before I could collect my ARTC as a permanent Australian address is required as well as the visa.
Depending on your circumstances, it's upto you whether you apply prior or upon arrival.
prior = having ARTC upon arrival but costs $100AUD and I waited 3 months for it (but didn't matter as still waiting for visa yet).
upon arrival = waiting for it upon arrival + cost is free.

Hope this helps some,
need any more help, let me know

Simpy
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a selection of jobs advertised on www.seek.com.au for an electrical engineer. There doesn't seem to be much consistancy with the licence part really, but they seem to mention a D class licence mostly.

There are plenty of jobs out there that don't specify any licence.

Must be a trade qualified mechanical fitter
Have experience in the servicing and maintenance of automated and semi-automated production and/or manufacturing plant and equipment
Possess maintenance experience on metal production equipment including presses
Experience with hydraulic and pneumatic equipment
It would be an advantage although it is not essential to possess a restricted electrical ‘D’ licence for the disconnection & reconnection of electrical equipment
Possess machining experience, and
Possess PLC knowledge

---------------------------------------------------

Shift Maintenance Electricians X 3 Permanent roles.
Do you have experience in the maintenance of high speed printing or production machinery?
• Do you enjoy working a rotating day/afternoon/night shift, 36 hour week, 19 day month inc some weekends?
• Do you have an understanding of troubleshooting PLC’s?
• Are you a trade qualified “A” Class electrician?
• Do you want an excellent salary package inc subsidised canteen and gymnasium?
• Would you like a stable career with a forward thinking and well known employer

------------------------------------------------------

Permanent Day Shift Position
Western Suburbs
$60k base + Super + Overtime

Our client, market leaders and one of Australia's leading companies in the field of Linen Servicing have vacancies available for 2 Trade Qualified Maintenance Fitters or Electricians. Prior to now, the company outsourced its maintenance requirements and now wants a dedicated team to establish itself as it's Maintenance Department.

To be successful for this role, you must possess the following skills and competencies:

* Trade Qualified
* Time Management/Supervision Experience
* Excellent diagnostic & troubleshooting skills
* Computer Literacy

Advantageous would be:

* Fluid Power
* Welding Skills
* Electrical D Licence

Your ability to work without supervision and take ownership, display a positive and self motivated attitude and be able to demonstrate sound problem solving skills together with outstanding work ethics will have you well suited to this rewarding and exciting position available.

This is a day shift position with the requirement for weekend work and some public holidays.

-------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps a little
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=
prior = having ARTC upon arrival but costs $100AUD and I waited 3 months for it (but didn't matter as still waiting for visa yet).
upon arrival = waiting for it upon arrival + cost is free.

Hope this helps some,
need any more help, let me know

Simpy[/QUOTE]

Hopefully Im reading this wrong but the form Ive got says:
Assessment fees...

Application..$300

Initial ARTC application from an Aus. res. with successful TRA... $free

Are they expecting $300 from me, or is this for applications without TRA?
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Assessment fees...

Application..$300

It's free if you have the pre-migration assessment done. I think that may be for people who may have gone on a different visa and not had their skills assessed for some reason.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Assessment fees...

Application..$300

Hi John, Wendy is correct, it's free for AUSTRALIAN RESIDENTS who have had a pre-assessment by the TRA i.e. skills recognised for migration purposes.
It does say that its $300 for other applicants BUT this only applies if you HAVE NOT had your skills recognised for migration purposes, if you have already had your skills recognised but are NOT AN AUSTRALIAN RESIDENT, it's $100. However, i have recently heard that some are being refunded their $100 stating it's now free for everyone who has had their skills recognised for migration purposes.

Simpy
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simpy
Hi John, Wendy is correct, it's free for AUSTRALIAN RESIDENTS who have had a pre-assessment by the TRA i.e. skills recognised for migration purposes.
It does say that its $300 for other applicants BUT this only applies if you HAVE NOT had your skills recognised for migration purposes, if you have already had your skills recognised but are NOT AN AUSTRALIAN RESIDENT, it's $100. However, i have recently heard that some are being refunded their $100 stating it's now free for everyone who has had their skills recognised for migration purposes.

Simpy
Thanks for clearing that one up for me! $100 is a bit better than $300, not planning on them saying its free.
Going to get all the info together tomorrow ( works pc and printer ..sshhh!!)
and get it all ready to post out.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for clearing that one up for me! $100 is a bit better than $300, not planning on them saying its free.
Going to get all the info together tomorrow ( works pc and printer ..sshhh!!)
and get it all ready to post out.

Perks of the job John, perks of the job

out of interest m8, whereabouts you going to be settling? Im going to Melbourne.

Simpy
Old Sep 4th 2006, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by simpy

Perks of the job John, perks of the job

out of interest m8, whereabouts you going to be settling? Im going to Melbourne.

Simpy
Planning on going to Perth. Emailed ARTC yesterday to see what the costs would be it applying from UK, just got their reply now !!

"To be eligble for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) you must have the right to work in Australia and an Australian address. If we receive an application from you and you do not have the right to work in Australia, your application will be returned to you. An ARTC can only be posted to an Australian address.
If you have previously been successfully assessed by TRA for migration purposes, there is no charge for you application for an ARTC. Otherwise the fee is $300 and it is a requirement for all applications that the fee is received with the application"

Will try them again just to see if I can get a reply from someone who understands the complications of emigrating with a family, the delay waiting for pieces of paper once arriving in Aus to allow you to start work.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Planning on going to Perth. Emailed ARTC yesterday to see what the costs would be it applying from UK, just got their reply now !!

"To be eligble for an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate (ARTC) you must have the right to work in Australia and an Australian address. If we receive an application from you and you do not have the right to work in Australia, your application will be returned to you. An ARTC can only be posted to an Australian address.
If you have previously been successfully assessed by TRA for migration purposes, there is no charge for you application for an ARTC. Otherwise the fee is $300 and it is a requirement for all applications that the fee is received with the application"

Will try them again just to see if I can get a reply from someone who understands the complications of emigrating with a family, the delay waiting for pieces of paper once arriving in Aus to allow you to start work.
Have a word with Steve'o, he applied from the UK and has just been issued his ARTC certificate. Although he's supplied them with an Australian address, so don't know if that makes any difference. They did post the form to him in the UK though.

Have you got your visa yet, I can't remember. You need to send in a certified copy of oyur passport pages and visa stamp, so you can't do anything until then.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

John, trust me m8, i went through exactly the same and got the same 'stupid' replies. Contact them and ask to be sent the application forms for an ARTC. As i said earlier, i had loads of grief from them saying i needed an Australian address, and if like me you don't have one i.e. a relative, then you will still get it processed, but you will have to collect it upon arrival.
email [email protected] and ask for the forms.

Simpy

ps, you DONT need copies of your passport showing your visa, unless things have changed in the last 6months. I have still got no visa and i emailed TRA again lastweek to say i wont be over 'till Nov(ish) to collect my ARTC and they said fine it's waiting for me at the Melbourne office.

Last edited by simpy; Sep 4th 2006 at 11:54 am.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again for the replies.. I've just email them again asking the same question but provided them with an Australian address..I've got relatives in Perth, so I can provide them with an Australian address ( they dont say you have to be living there do they ) Hopefully get somewhere this time. Ive already got the ARTC form.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.