Qualification Advice

Old Aug 10th 2011, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

shaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Qualification Advice

I am looking at applying to Vatessess to get my skills assessed but i am unsure if this is the correct route. I have the following qualifications as an electrician:
Time Served 4 Year Apprenticeship with JTL
NVQ Lvl 3 Electrical Installation
17th Eddition
2391-10 Testing and Inspection
But after 2 years on site my employer wanted me to go into the office designing and estimating which i have been doing for the last 3 years. I have the following qualifications while doing this:
2391-20 Design and Verification
Level 3 2D AutoCad
HNC Building Services Engineering
So do i apply to Vatessess to be assessed as an electrician or something else?
Many Thanks,
Ian
Old Aug 10th 2011, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

shanethomas123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualification Advice

Hi Ian,

Your qualifactions are very simular to mine as is your experience.

I have worked as an electrcian for 11 years - 2 of which I was self employed, the company was registered with the NICEIC and I was the qualified supervior. I have C&G 2360 parts 1 & 2 and NVQ 2 & 3 in Electrical Installations and 2391 Inspection and testing.

However I have always wanted to be in design and manged to get a job as a trainee electrical design engineer, I have worked for my company for nearly three years and am now an Intermediate Electrical Design Engineer. I now have a HNC in Building Services Engineering and have completed the first year of a three year part time degree course.

From hours and hours of research I found that the likes of me and you are in a very tricky situation with regards to obtaining a visa. The first of many probs being the skills assessment - having not worked on the tools for the last 12 months means no assessment as an electrician and no degree makes it difficult to get assessed an an engineer. The only option that I found is to submit a CDR to Engineers Australia as an Engineering Associate, this is what I have done (15 weeks ago today) and am currently awaiting an outcome, which I am expecting at anytime.

Sorry for the long post but its not very often you come across someone with such simular background in such a specific area (electrcian to engineer) - believe me I've spent ages searching!!!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

shaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond reputeshaw86 has a reputation beyond repute

Shane,
Thank you for taking the time and posting this information. This is a very tricky situation indeed! I will try the solution as you did and see where this gets me. If not the easiest option would be to pack up my pens and get my tools back out and return to site!
Cheers,
Ian
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

I have just found out today that I was successful in the Skills Assessment so maybe an Engineering Associate through Engineers Australia would be the way for you to go.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Please could you advise on what i need to do next then. Congratulations by the way! This is also very good news for me.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

This is very good news for your and def for me! Before I applied all the agents that I spoke to, and even advisors at engineers australia, said that there was very little chance that I would be successful due to not having a degree - so obviously we were over the moon when we found out!

Its def not a quick or easy route though, first of all you need to follow this link and download the 'Migration Skills Assessement Booklet' halfway down on the righthand side. Have a read of this and see what you think, if you have any questions after this just ask
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

I suppose the link would be useful!!!

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au...a/msa_home.cfm
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

So whats the next step for you?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Were going to apply for state sponsorship - Victoria.

I have to do an IELTS (english) test first though, I'll be booking that over the weekend!

Where in Oz do you want to live?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Were looking at Perth WA. We have family there already. Me my girlfriend and 2 kids are flying over at christmas next year for a month. We plan on getting Married over there.