Qld Licence Question

Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Mitchell 1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qld Licence Question

Hi all

I am now living in sunny Australia and loving it, we have just sorted a rental at upper coomera on the Gold Coast and guess what I have secured a job within 10 days of being here so I am over the moon!
I am currently doing the PEER course via correspondence in order to gain my full licence as ARTC only classed me as an electrical fitter and the company that have taken me on are happy with that, in fact I think the manager was was impressed you could get your licence that way. The question I have is do I still need to register with the Qld goverment for a licence to train? as they want me to start work on the 19th and I won't have completed my PEER course by then?

Thanks

Mike
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all
Default Re: Qld Licence Question

Hello All,

If you register in Qld you have to start as a probationer fitter, when you have completed around 12 months filling in a log book and completing the wiring regs course and first aid, you can then apply for a full fitters license, the problem you may have is that if you apply then go the peer route you are on the qld books as a fitter, however if you do the entire peer route you can have a mechanics license straight off.

The people on this forum have stated and quite rightly so that a fitters license severly hamper your employment chances, there is work out there for fitters but it's mostly factory work.

If you are already doing the peer course then i would bring your exam forward and spend some time with your head in the books, then fly to Adelaide and get the mechanics license.

depending on what you told your boss to be, depends if he's happy to wait a couple of weeks for you to obtain it.

Regards

Kevin
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

My new boss is more than happy with me going the PEER route as I Have already started it but he wants me start work on the 19th working in the workshop to start with as he understands that I can't go out into the field working on my own until I have attained the licence. The job I have been offered is basically a jack of all trades until I gain some more engineering experience then he is going to make me up to an electrical engineer. I was just abit confused about wheather I need to register with the QLD goverment or wait until I get my full licence through PEER.

thanks
Old Jan 10th 2009, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Kevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to allKevin S is a name known to all

Hello All,

What i meant by if your boss is happy, is that you can't officially work with electrics until you go one route or the other, so if he is employing you as a trade assistant, you don't need a license and you can wait until you have completed the peer way, or if he employs you as an electrician then you need a license. it's all in the words

Good luck with your choice, i have choosen the peer route and hopefully by next wednesday i can look around for a electrician job.

Regards

Kevin
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:40 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Mitchell 1981
Hi

My new boss is more than happy with me going the PEER route as I Have already started it but he wants me start work on the 19th working in the workshop to start with as he understands that I can't go out into the field working on my own until I have attained the licence. The job I have been offered is basically a jack of all trades until I gain some more engineering experience then he is going to make me up to an electrical engineer. I was just abit confused about wheather I need to register with the QLD goverment or wait until I get my full licence through PEER.

thanks
h there dont go registering with qld safety office you`l only open yourself up to a whole load of hassle, finish your peer corse get the SA licence then when its almost out ( i think its three years ) get it swapped for a qld one under the recipercal agreement,

regards steve

http://www.deir.qld.gov.au/electrica...tate/index.htm
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Steve

thanks for clearing that up for me

regards

Mike
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:04 am
Just Joined

MoparKevUk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello chaps! Just got my SA licence via PEER (91%!). Now busy applying for jobs in QLD. Is the fact that I have an SA licence going to hamper me? I know it's valid via the reciprocal agreement, but will the peeps looking at my CV acknowledge it? Mainly applying for jobs on SEEK.
TIA!
PS Thanks for all the fantastic advice on here that led me to PEER. Didn't see any 50 buck prostitutes, let alone a MaccyD's!! But I did get to shoot some guns down Franklin Street in the Marksman Gun Range, great way to blow off steam after the exam and licence procurement. Highly recommended!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:10 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MoparKevUk
Hello chaps! Just got my SA licence via PEER (91%!). Now busy applying for jobs in QLD. Is the fact that I have an SA licence going to hamper me? I know it's valid via the reciprocal agreement, but will the peeps looking at my CV acknowledge it? Mainly applying for jobs on SEEK.
TIA!
PS Thanks for all the fantastic advice on here that led me to PEER. Didn't see any 50 buck prostitutes, let alone a MaccyD's!! But I did get to shoot some guns down Franklin Street in the Marksman Gun Range, great way to blow off steam after the exam and licence procurement. Highly recommended!
congratulations on getting the licence, its shouldnt make a jot of difference which state your licenced in but having said that some employers are arses and insist on a qld licence its going to be a suck it and see senario mate,
Old Apr 21st 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MoparKevUk
TIA!
A lot of jobs state in the advert Qld Licenced electricians and a few of the companies i have spoken to will only accept a Qld licence due to Insurance Cover ! Personally i spent the $50 on transferring the licence as i did'nt see any pros either!!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:35 am
Just Joined

MoparKevUk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info guys, will get on with transferring it over.