Process to Emigrate to NSW

Old Jul 27th 2013, 10:15 am
Just Joined

welshsteven is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Process to Emigrate to NSW

Hi guys I've been thinking about Emigrating to Australia for years, but started reading about it (on here and relevant sites) seriously this past fortnight.... and its blown my mind. I realise the process has changed since July 1st this year but I Just want to write what I think is required here to confirm my thoughts, or have I lost track somewhere. I am a 29y/o Industrial Electrician with 8 years experience, married with children.

So I need to have my trade assessed by a TRA approved RTO which costs appx £1200 and takes 3 months+, consisting of a technical interview (phone or Skype) a theory test and practical test. I recieve an OTSR (Offshore Technical Skills Recognition)

I then have to have my English Language Competence assessed by either IELTS or if I have enough points I can go on the basis of where my passport is from. I just about make 60 points if I apply for the Skilled Nominated Subclass 190 Visa (Extra 5 Points), and I believe NSW is 'Sponsoring' Electrician (Special Class) atm. So if this is true I would not need to do the IELT.

I can then submit my expression of interest to be invited to apply for a Skilled Independent 189, or Skilled Nominated Visa 190, depending on points. Then I need a medical and character assessment. This will cost appx £5k total and can take up to 18months. Assuming I get my visa, then....

I need to apply for an ATRC (Australia Trades Recognition Certificate) which has various hoops you need to jump through like an Interview, Aussie based work place training and a test. This can take up to three months and cost appx £1100.

Then I can apply for my state licence, hopefully A Grade, which will no doubt have some hoops and time limits and costs. Then... apply for some decent work.

So basically, is this right? have I missed something or am I over thinking it? I might be able to work in NSW unlicensed, but is this possible?

Cheers for ANY help

Steve
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:09 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Process to Emigrate to NSW

Originally Posted by welshsteven
Hi guys I've been thinking about Emigrating to Australia for years, but started reading about it (on here and relevant sites) seriously this past fortnight.... and its blown my mind. I realise the process has changed since July 1st this year but I Just want to write what I think is required here to confirm my thoughts, or have I lost track somewhere. I am a 29y/o Industrial Electrician with 8 years experience, married with children.

So I need to have my trade assessed by a TRA approved RTO which costs appx £1200 and takes 3 months+, consisting of a technical interview (phone or Skype) a theory test and practical test. I recieve an OTSR (Offshore Technical Skills Recognition)

I then have to have my English Language Competence assessed by either IELTS or if I have enough points I can go on the basis of where my passport is from. I just about make 60 points if I apply for the Skilled Nominated Subclass 190 Visa (Extra 5 Points), and I believe NSW is 'Sponsoring' Electrician (Special Class) atm. So if this is true I would not need to do the IELT.

I can then submit my expression of interest to be invited to apply for a Skilled Independent 189, or Skilled Nominated Visa 190, depending on points. Then I need a medical and character assessment. This will cost appx £5k total and can take up to 18months. Assuming I get my visa, then....

I need to apply for an ATRC (Australia Trades Recognition Certificate) which has various hoops you need to jump through like an Interview, Aussie based work place training and a test. This can take up to three months and cost appx £1100.

Then I can apply for my state licence, hopefully A Grade, which will no doubt have some hoops and time limits and costs. Then... apply for some decent work.

So basically, is this right? have I missed something or am I over thinking it? I might be able to work in NSW unlicensed, but is this possible?

Cheers for ANY help

Steve
Sounds about right Steve except once you have an OTSR you will not get an ARTC and NSW no longer recognise ARTC anyway. With OTSR you need gap training and a job to complete the supervised work, but that seems to be easier in NSW anyway. That should get you a cert III and full license.

There's a rough guide to skilled migration in the immi section of Australia forum (http://britishexpats.com/wiki/A_Roug...lled_Migration) and always lots of help in that section too (http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)

Old Jul 27th 2013, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Sounds about right Steve except once you have an OTSR you will not get an ARTC and NSW no longer recognise ARTC anyway. With OTSR you need gap training and a job to complete the supervised work, but that seems to be easier in NSW anyway. That should get you a cert III and full license.

There's a rough guide to skilled migration in the immi section of Australia forum (http://britishexpats.com/wiki/A_Roug...lled_Migration) and always lots of help in that section too (http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54)

Ahhh marvelous, thank you old sparkles, that immigration forum is what I needed. I knew i wasn't looking properly. haha. While I've got you here, how do i find out which territory sponsors which trade and how do i 'apply' for sponsorship. I can see my trade on the CSOL list. Just don't know who is offering it?

also do you think it's worth paying an agent as I have a couple of driving related convictions from my misspent youth. i.e drink drive, driving whilst disqualified and driving with no insurance?

thanks again

steve
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh marvelous, thank you old sparkles, that immigration forum is what I needed. I knew i wasn't looking properly. haha. While I've got you here, how do i find out which territory sponsors which trade and how do i 'apply' for sponsorship. I can see my trade on the CSOL list. Just don't know who is offering it?

also do you think it's worth paying an agent as I have a couple of driving related convictions from my misspent youth. i.e drink drive, driving whilst disqualified and driving with no insurance?

thanks again

steve
If thats the only issue you have, and once you've looked at the process you think you'll be fine with the paperwork,I wouldn't bother with an agent. Those convictions - especially if they are old - won't affect your application. Just declare them when asked, thats all
Old Jul 27th 2013, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If thats the only issue you have, and once you've looked at the process you think you'll be fine with the paperwork,I wouldn't bother with an agent. Those convictions - especially if they are old - won't affect your application. Just declare them when asked, thats all
awesome, thanks pollyana love this place!
Old Jul 28th 2013, 12:03 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

thanks again

steve
Both general electrician and electrician special class are on the SOL, so if you have enough points you can apply for a 189 visa, and not worry about sponsoring states. But if you still want sponsorship, there are links to all the state lists on the wiki page.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Both general electrician and electrician special class are on the SOL, so if you have enough points you can apply for a 189 visa, and not worry about sponsoring states. But if you still want sponsorship, there are links to all the state lists on the wiki page.
marvelous. cheers. i have 60 points if i apply for state sponsorship. so will prob have to go for that. thanks again. the diac website is quite confusing at times. i find myself going in circles. haha.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 9:32 pm

marvelous. cheers. i have 60 points if i apply for state sponsorship. so will prob have to go for that. thanks again. the diac website is quite confusing at times. i find myself going in circles. haha.
If you get stuck there's usually someone around that can help in the Oz forums - http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54