Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:04 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9
Cannon8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

Hey all.

Bit stuck getting my qualifications transferred to Oz. Any advice would be great.

Qualified last year with Irish FETAC Electrical/Instrumentation dual trade.
Went through TRA, but only got awarded Electrical Fitter (instruments), which isn't enough to get A grade license.

TRA's story is that as I spent some of apprenticeship doing instrument work, i didn't cover all i would in standard electrical only apprenticeship.

Bottom line: told I can't get electrical mechanic or electrical fitter, and will have to get RPL (recognition of prior learning) and fast track into a 4th year electrical mechanic apprenticeship here in Oz.

Anybody have a history or know someone who has come thru with this qualification?

Any advice on where to proceed.

Thanks!
Cannon8 is offline  
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:11 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Perth WA, Barrow Island WA
Posts: 136
Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice
Default Re: Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

I know an Irish who's done only apprenticeship and got granted ARTC for Electrical mechanic without problem and without working experience.
Deyan is offline  
Old Mar 5th 2012, 9:40 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9
Cannon8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

Thanks for reply.

Was told that doing just the apprenticeship in electrical (without the instrumentation) would be fine for electrical mechanic. Or 7 years in a installation role.

Unfortunately, i'm short on the 7 years, and did Electrical/Instrumentation as the apprenticeship.

Did the guy you know do electrical or electrical/instrumentation?

Odd that doing the instrumentation is getting in the way of being a sparks. And as you can imagine, going back into an apprenticeship isn't ideal...
Cannon8 is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:03 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Perth WA, Barrow Island WA
Posts: 136
Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice
Default Re: Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

He studied mechatronic engineering and he's got ARTC electrical mechanic and A grade license over here.
Deyan is offline  
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:49 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 77
lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice
Default Re: Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

Originally Posted by Cannon8 View Post
Thanks for reply.

Was told that doing just the apprenticeship in electrical (without the instrumentation) would be fine for electrical mechanic. Or 7 years in a installation role.

Unfortunately, i'm short on the 7 years, and did Electrical/Instrumentation as the apprenticeship.

Did the guy you know do electrical or electrical/instrumentation?

Odd that doing the instrumentation is getting in the way of being a sparks. And as you can imagine, going back into an apprenticeship isn't ideal...
Hey mate, did you have any luck getting sorted?

Hard to believe doing the Instrumentation apprenticeship could be a disadvantage! I did the regular Irish sparks apprenticeship & regret not doing the Instrumentation one. I'm actually thinking of doing a 10 week Instrumentation course in FAS as I know of a couple of lads who've gotten jobs from that although everyone says it's no replacement for the full apprenticeship.

Myself and my wife looked into heading to Australia but we've all but given up on the idea due to the time, effort & expense of getting visas and trade recognition. It's a crazy system they have down there.

Best of luck with your move.
lledlledlled is offline  
Old Dec 18th 2012, 4:13 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
Posts: 431
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

Originally Posted by Cannon8 View Post
Hey all.

Bit stuck getting my qualifications transferred to Oz. Any advice would be great.

Qualified last year with Irish FETAC Electrical/Instrumentation dual trade.
Went through TRA, but only got awarded Electrical Fitter (instruments), which isn't enough to get A grade license.

TRA's story is that as I spent some of apprenticeship doing instrument work, i didn't cover all i would in standard electrical only apprenticeship.

Bottom line: told I can't get electrical mechanic or electrical fitter, and will have to get RPL (recognition of prior learning) and fast track into a 4th year electrical mechanic apprenticeship here in Oz.

Anybody have a history or know someone who has come thru with this qualification?

Any advice on where to proceed.

Thanks!
Hi there,
I've seen plenty of jobs advertised for dual trade electrical/instru. techs.
I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding work with a Fitter's licence, although, in saying that my mechanic's licence hasn't generated a huge amount of interest.
If you really want the mechanic's licence then you'll need to approach your local TAFE for RPL.
Regards Derren
derren7 is offline  
Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:42 am
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 21
geoffuzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

Electrical fitter (Instruments) would be the ARTC I would need to work as an Instrument technician in Australia? This would then get me the restricted licence which I assume is also required to work?

Sorry to piggy back on your thread..!

Geoff.
geoffuzz is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:36 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9
Cannon8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

@lledlledlled
Yeah, I was surprised that it was seen so badly when its generally a better thing to have in Ireland. Have a supervised license now, so will need a years experience here and the LEA tests to get a full license.

If you get the Electrical Mechanic you'll be laughing. 10 week instrument course will give you a good head-start. It's a great place but you're right, its a crazy system. Hopefully with national licensing they are working on it will become easier. Good luck to you if you do decide to make the move.

@Derren
Thanks mate. Yeah, hopefully can pick up something soon enough.
Not ideal without the A grade but making progress. Tis a long road with these licenses, but will be worth it in the end i believe.

@Geoff
Yeah but best to check as things change so much from state to state here. I'd check with the licensing body of wherever you are planning on going. No worries bout jumping on the thread. Good luck.
Cannon8 is offline  
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:09 pm
  #9  
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross
 
rinkerdink's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 653
rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

Originally Posted by Cannon8 View Post
@lledlledlled
Yeah, I was surprised that it was seen so badly when its generally a better thing to have in Ireland. Have a supervised license now, so will need a years experience here and the LEA tests to get a full license.

If you get the Electrical Mechanic you'll be laughing. 10 week instrument course will give you a good head-start. It's a great place but you're right, its a crazy system. Hopefully with national licensing they are working on it will become easier. Good luck to you if you do decide to make the move.

@Derren
Thanks mate. Yeah, hopefully can pick up something soon enough.
Not ideal without the A grade but making progress. Tis a long road with these licenses, but will be worth it in the end i believe.

@Geoff
Yeah but best to check as things change so much from state to state here. I'd check with the licensing body of wherever you are planning on going. No worries bout jumping on the thread. Good luck.
Mate, you have the measure of the system! Don't try too hard to reason or understand it just jump through one hoop at a time as best you can. Hopefully you'll think it was worth it at the end...............
rinkerdink is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.