Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Cannon8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

Hey all.

Bit stuck getting my qualifications transferred to Oz. Any advice would be great.

Qualified last year with Irish FETAC Electrical/Instrumentation dual trade.
Went through TRA, but only got awarded Electrical Fitter (instruments), which isn't enough to get A grade license.

TRA's story is that as I spent some of apprenticeship doing instrument work, i didn't cover all i would in standard electrical only apprenticeship.

Bottom line: told I can't get electrical mechanic or electrical fitter, and will have to get RPL (recognition of prior learning) and fast track into a 4th year electrical mechanic apprenticeship here in Oz.

Anybody have a history or know someone who has come thru with this qualification?

Any advice on where to proceed.

Thanks!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice
Default Re: Problem with Irish Electrical/Instrumentation with TRA

I know an Irish who's done only apprenticeship and got granted ARTC for Electrical mechanic without problem and without working experience.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for reply.

Was told that doing just the apprenticeship in electrical (without the instrumentation) would be fine for electrical mechanic. Or 7 years in a installation role.

Unfortunately, i'm short on the 7 years, and did Electrical/Instrumentation as the apprenticeship.

Did the guy you know do electrical or electrical/instrumentation?

Odd that doing the instrumentation is getting in the way of being a sparks. And as you can imagine, going back into an apprenticeship isn't ideal...
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Deyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really niceDeyan is just really nice

He studied mechatronic engineering and he's got ARTC electrical mechanic and A grade license over here.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cannon8
Thanks for reply.

Was told that doing just the apprenticeship in electrical (without the instrumentation) would be fine for electrical mechanic. Or 7 years in a installation role.

Unfortunately, i'm short on the 7 years, and did Electrical/Instrumentation as the apprenticeship.

Did the guy you know do electrical or electrical/instrumentation?

Odd that doing the instrumentation is getting in the way of being a sparks. And as you can imagine, going back into an apprenticeship isn't ideal...
Hey mate, did you have any luck getting sorted?

Hard to believe doing the Instrumentation apprenticeship could be a disadvantage! I did the regular Irish sparks apprenticeship & regret not doing the Instrumentation one. I'm actually thinking of doing a 10 week Instrumentation course in FAS as I know of a couple of lads who've gotten jobs from that although everyone says it's no replacement for the full apprenticeship.

Myself and my wife looked into heading to Australia but we've all but given up on the idea due to the time, effort & expense of getting visas and trade recognition. It's a crazy system they have down there.

Best of luck with your move.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Hey all.

Bit stuck getting my qualifications transferred to Oz. Any advice would be great.

Qualified last year with Irish FETAC Electrical/Instrumentation dual trade.
Went through TRA, but only got awarded Electrical Fitter (instruments), which isn't enough to get A grade license.

TRA's story is that as I spent some of apprenticeship doing instrument work, i didn't cover all i would in standard electrical only apprenticeship.

Bottom line: told I can't get electrical mechanic or electrical fitter, and will have to get RPL (recognition of prior learning) and fast track into a 4th year electrical mechanic apprenticeship here in Oz.

Anybody have a history or know someone who has come thru with this qualification?

Any advice on where to proceed.

Thanks!
Hi there,
I've seen plenty of jobs advertised for dual trade electrical/instru. techs.
I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding work with a Fitter's licence, although, in saying that my mechanic's licence hasn't generated a huge amount of interest.
If you really want the mechanic's licence then you'll need to approach your local TAFE for RPL.
Regards Derren
Old Dec 20th 2012, 11:42 am
Just Joined

geoffuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Electrical fitter (Instruments) would be the ARTC I would need to work as an Instrument technician in Australia? This would then get me the restricted licence which I assume is also required to work?

Sorry to piggy back on your thread..!

Geoff.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:36 am
Just Joined

@lledlledlled
Yeah, I was surprised that it was seen so badly when its generally a better thing to have in Ireland. Have a supervised license now, so will need a years experience here and the LEA tests to get a full license.

If you get the Electrical Mechanic you'll be laughing. 10 week instrument course will give you a good head-start. It's a great place but you're right, its a crazy system. Hopefully with national licensing they are working on it will become easier. Good luck to you if you do decide to make the move.

@Derren
Thanks mate. Yeah, hopefully can pick up something soon enough.
Not ideal without the A grade but making progress. Tis a long road with these licenses, but will be worth it in the end i believe.

@Geoff
Yeah but best to check as things change so much from state to state here. I'd check with the licensing body of wherever you are planning on going. No worries bout jumping on the thread. Good luck.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 12:09 pm
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

@lledlledlled
Yeah, I was surprised that it was seen so badly when its generally a better thing to have in Ireland. Have a supervised license now, so will need a years experience here and the LEA tests to get a full license.

If you get the Electrical Mechanic you'll be laughing. 10 week instrument course will give you a good head-start. It's a great place but you're right, its a crazy system. Hopefully with national licensing they are working on it will become easier. Good luck to you if you do decide to make the move.

@Derren
Thanks mate. Yeah, hopefully can pick up something soon enough.
Not ideal without the A grade but making progress. Tis a long road with these licenses, but will be worth it in the end i believe.

@Geoff
Yeah but best to check as things change so much from state to state here. I'd check with the licensing body of wherever you are planning on going. No worries bout jumping on the thread. Good luck.
Mate, you have the measure of the system! Don't try too hard to reason or understand it just jump through one hoop at a time as best you can. Hopefully you'll think it was worth it at the end...............